• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Mercer and Sons has a few fabrics like that if their sizing works for you.

Oh, for sure. They have some contenders in terms of fabrics, but as you probably know, their fit is extremely generous. Getting something like this in the Epaulet fit would thus be a huge score for me.

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh, for sure. They have some contenders in terms of fabrics, but as you probably know, their fit is extremely generous. Getting something like this in the Epaulet fit would thus be a huge score for me.

Understood, I did their fit of my collar size with the body size of 2 collar sizes smaller (16.5" collar with 15.5" body) and have been very pleased.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
also FWIW, Epaulet does have what I would call the American cousin of what I'm talking about, too, so that might work for some people but I'm trying to see if I can't get closer to the original; a larger check, a spread or cutaway collar... etc.

It's probably too specific of a request but I'm just throwing the idea out there on the off chance it's something that would be possible.

Honestly I would take a gamble on a 15" version of the shirt from Cordings above (I'm a 14.5") and hope to shrink it in the dryer and tailor the body, but then they seriously want £37.50 for shipping to the US, which is insane.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
regarding the "old man" "young man" brown sportcoat talk: along with PItti, think about what @leftofthedial does with blue pants. a brown cotton or linen sportcoat or a barena-style thing swapped out for this coat would work well

and think about this in tone/mood, though it's a little more abstractly related.

Last edited:

TO Tie Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mike, I've got 5-6 pairs of flannel and tweed pants that need to be hemmed. How much will they shrink after first wash? Can they go in the Washer on cold and hang dry?

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone quick question on the sneakers:

Does Epaulet stock size 13/EU46 or 46.5 normally? Or is that just for MTO stuff.

FLW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mike, I've got 5-6 pairs of flannel and tweed pants that need to be hemmed. How much will they shrink after first wash? Can they go in the Washer on cold and hang dry?
I think washing tweed and flannel pants would be a very, very bad idea. Those should be dry clean only. The good news is, no shrinkage! (Unless your dry cleaner is an idiot, I suppose)

I always hem mine ASAP and they come back from the cleaners just fine.

Last edited:

TO Tie Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think washing tweed and flannel pants would be a very, very bad idea. Those should be dry clean only. The good news is, no shrinkage! (Unless your dry cleaner is an idiot, I suppose)

I always hem mine ASAP and they come back from the cleaners just fine.

Thanks! Appreciate the quick reply.

Also, some new drops on the site. Sport coats and trainers. That herringbone sport coat is outrageous! Also.. Speckled Tweed..

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Hey everyone quick question on the sneakers: Does Epaulet stock size 13/EU46 or 46.5 normally? Or is that just for MTO stuff.
We don't, but we can offer that via Group Buys (like the shell cordovan one). I'm headed to Portugal next week, and I'm hoping to have a bunch of new leathers that we can offer. Also, we're going to reorder some basics shortly (white and black). I'll post up an item where guys can place deposits against extended sizes in these too.
You'd want to avoid washing them - wool can shrink in a really unpredictable way. Just stick with minimal dry cleaning. I only dry clean flannel and tweed if I drop something on it.
Amazingly, I'm slated to be in New York and may try to make it down. Not sure it'll happen, however.
Cool! Hope that you can make it!
Hey Mike -- I know you have the shirt event coming up soon, and I think another round of factory finds at some point, right? I've been searching for awhile for an English "Country Shirt," which, from what I gather, is usually a white or off-white brushed cotton with a check pattern. There are options online but never in my size and certainly not in anything approximating the Epaulet fit. Examples: (Harvie & Hudson, Cordings). I'm wondering if you ever come across fabrics like either of the above and what the chances are that we could see something like this offered -- could something like this end up in factory finds or is this totally an English thing isn't likely for you to stumble upon? I feel like this would be something that would fit in well with a lot of the guys wardrobes who post here (and there is one obvious example that I'm sure comes to mind). Anyway, figured I would ask on the off chance you've got something for your upcoming event that is similar or if this seems like something that could be put together for a group order or FF or whatever.
Oh my god, would I ever love to have something like this. The great thing about Individualized is that they get new fabrics literally every single week. They have a nice selection of tattersalls in that range too. I'll take a look through their selection.
So are all EPNY shirts getting the new dart-less re-design? Or just some? And are there new trainers going up soon? Black and 2x brown? Just curious. I actually had enough money to pay rent this month--need to make sure that doesn't happen again.
Trainers are online tomorrow! We have most sizes in brown, fairly limited sizes in Black. We lost 1 out of 3 boxes from the shipment, so a bunch of units went missing. We put through the insurance on it, but it left us with a pretty wacko size run.
I saw that some of the shirts from Epaulet have darts? Which lines have the darts? I want the slim fit but the darts don't do it for me. Thanks
Most EPNY shirts are darted. The new Epaulet by Gitman pieces (Exploded Check, Midnight Windowpane, Brushed Gingham Twill, Mocha Plaid) are not. And the new, New England chambrays (Speckled Chambray, Antique Chambray) will not be.

Todd V

Reaction score
Is anyone on the list on the shorter side of things...like 5'4" or smaller? If so, I'm curious to hear your sportcoat sizing experiences across the various Epaulet lines (Southwick, Samuelsohn, LBM, etc.)

Contact me off list and we'll compare notes.

ino68

Reaction score

I've washed my two flannel walts twice each so far, cold wash, gentle spin, hang dry.

No ill effects that I can tell, but I don't plan on washing them more than once a year.

I am sensitive to the new fabric smell you get, so I have no choice but to wash them at least once!

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We don't, but we can offer that via Group Buys (like the shell cordovan one). I'm headed to Portugal next week, and I'm hoping to have a bunch of new leathers that we can offer.

Also, we're going to reorder some basics shortly (white and black). I'll post up an item where guys can place deposits against extended sizes in these too.

AW Yeah! Looking forward to it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads