• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those shoes kill it. And the high oil content of upper and sole makes them really great in the wet, too.
NOTE: Anyone who wears black tie or true formal dress of any nature should stop by and check out these Carmina patent leather numbers on the new site. just happened to browse over and there they were...crazy pricing...

would have already grabbed them if they had my size

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Hey Mike,

Do you know what Carmina suggests to care for the pythons? They look great, and I see the skin is a bit flakey...I fear that they will rub off with enough wears. I'm stoked nonetheless!

DWFII doesn't recommend anything special. Just Lexol.
http://www.styleforum.net/t/50941/durability-of-exotic-skins/15#post_5042032

mjro88

Reaction score

pretty sure whatever is on the website is what is in store. only exception would be as soon as things drop, they are available in store but not on the website.

Thanks - I'm 24 and just starting to build a quality biz casual wardrobe. The trousers seem to be a great deal for the quality and will fashionably last a long time.

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

NOTE: Anyone who wears black tie or true formal dress of any nature should stop by and check out these Carmina patent leather numbers on the new site. just happened to browse over and there they were...crazy pricing...

Patent leather isn't just for black tie or formal anymore. I've seen them worn with jeans and a blazer for a great look.

bestak

Reaction score
I would jump right on them, I wear black tie every week, but I wear a kilt not a dinner jacket.

a kilt mmmhhh maybe that ill be an issue, the shoes are like a mirror and usualy nothing is wear under a kilt, have you really think about this tiny detail ?
crackup[1].gif

Last edited:

TWorksheets

Reaction score

Artking3

Reaction score
Just got my Hardie hawl collar cardigan in 38. Size and length is perfect, 36 might have been too short in the sleeves. Very pleased with it.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

are there any plans for more wool rivet chinos? i need more winter weight pants and i'd love to see some rivets in a grey wool or some other interesting heavier fabrics.

Hmm, not in the chinos, but we're keeping quite a few flannel and tweed walt trousers in stock for the next few months. Check out the Walt "flannella" pants in navy and taupe - those are killer and a really great buy.

Newyorkislander, those Oxford cargos look bad ass!
Epaulet, any chance of seeing those again? Can they be special ordered?

In theory yes, we can special order these for you. Since it's a separate cutting from our usual walts, it would probably run another $40 or so as a one-off charge. But we can do it, just drop a line to Matt at leftofthedial if you're interested.

Hey Mike,

I'm in town all this week and I'd love to stop in and say hi!  Any particular store/time that would be good to stop by?

Very cool! I'll be in the Manhattan store all day tomorrow and on Saturday if that's good for you. Otherwise, we'll certainly have friendly dudes staffing the shop even if I'm not here.

I apologize if this has been answered - the thread is massive, but how does the inventory listed on the website compare to the in-store inventory? I'm thinking of picking up a few pairs of trousers for my new job (biz casual - the 120s seem the most versatile) and the website only has a few colors in slim walt 120s. Could the store have more options? I live outside of NYC and would be willing to visit the Manhattan store.
Thanks

The stock is correct, but we've got a full restock of all those trousers planned for right after the holidays. For a beginning biz caz assortment, check out:

Super 120s in navy and grey
Wool/Cashmere in grey
Oxford Grey flannel
UK Sanded Canvas olive
Regiment Twill Khaki

what color shirts do you guys wear with french blue ducks? 

White, cream, and pale grey are great matches. That goes for solid shirts and patterns. As long as the base color of the pattern is white, cream, or grey, it often works great.

I agree that Rob has a very healthy wardrobe. They must think he's the principle!
Another testament on Epaulet trousers. The same lady has tailored all of my trousers from Epaulet, all 15+ pairs. Today I took a pair of J. Crew pants to be taken in. The retail was like $120 but I got it for less than $40 because I just like the print. It's made out of mostly acrylic, haha. I didn't tell the lady anything but as she was pinning the rear and the thighs she asked if the pants is from a different maker because the pattern is inferior and tailoring is limited. In short...Epaulet rocks!
I also can't wait to get home. The pythons are supposed to be delivered tonight!

Thank you sir! She's got good taste :)

Hey Mike,
Do you know what Carmina suggests to care for the pythons? They look great, and I see the skin is a bit flakey...I fear that they will rub off with enough wears. I'm stoked nonetheless!

Re: Python Carmina care
If I had a pair, I would most likely use the Saphir Reptan "Beauty Milk" for maintenance. I bought a jar from the Hanger Project to use on my small collection of croc/gator watch straps and I thought it worked great. The straps all looked pretty good after treatment. The packaging suggests that it can be used for all reptile skins.

Perfect recommendation on the Saphir Beauty Milk. Renovateur is great too.

You'll want to baby your exotic shoes a bit. That goes for python, lizard, gator, stingray, any of those. Don't wear them in lousy weather if you can avoid it. If you get caught in the rain then so be it, but if you wake up an you know that it's going to rain, snow, sleet, or whatever, then grab another pair of shoes.

Stick to gentle conditioner creams (like the Saphir products mentioned) and avoid polishes or waxes. When applying cream to the python, ALWAYS work in the direction of the scales.

Python is actually pretty tough. Its used often in western boots and bags. Eventually some scales will fall off, but just take care when you're wearing them and you'll get a lot of life out of it. And having a pair of insanely worn python brogues five years from now will hold a charm all its own. Enjoy them!

I would jump right on them, I wear black tie every week, but I wear a kilt not a dinner jacket.

Really? What do you do to wear highland dress every week? That's pretty awesome!

Mike & Matt, it was a pleasure meeting you gentlemen in person on Sunday afternoon!  Had a good time hanging out at the shop and chatting (not to mention disrupting your workflow).  Will have to make another trip down sometime!

And the flannelas (and your tailor) rock!

Great meeting you too - thanks for coming by!

Hey guys,
Any idea on when you will get a restock on the CDG play chuck taylors?
Thanks!

I'm thinking around the end of January. We've got them on order, but CDG is currently sold out of extra inventory.

AF Flannel and Ruby boots.

Good lord. You are KILLING those Ruby boots!

Just got my Hardie hawl collar cardigan in 38. Size and length is perfect, 36 might have been too short in the sleeves. Very pleased with it.

Thank you sir - glad that it worked!

oisin

Reaction score
any chance we'll see the single monks in a "regular" leather like french calfskin? love the look of them, but too cheap to shell out for shell.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads