• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Duke Silver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that jacket is incredibly dope. regarding the loop closure, though, i would say i'd probably only like that w/ certain fabrics. it looks great w/ that cord and i'd think that would be the case on a tweed as well, but i'd be surprised if i liked it when made up with a lighter weight or non-textured fabric.

FLW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that jacket is incredibly dope. regarding the loop closure, though, i would say i'd probably only like that w/ certain fabrics. it looks great w/ that cord and i'd think that would be the case on a tweed as well, but i'd be surprised if i liked it when made up with a lighter weight or non-textured fabric.
This is spot on. I feel like the loop closure only really works in fabrics that would not normally be used on a shawl collared jacket. The same goes with the patch pockets.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah that is pretty cool
Yes. Very. Are you considering offering a similar shape this season?
This is spot on. I feel like the loop closure only really works in fabrics that would not normally be used on a shawl collared jacket. The same goes with the patch pockets.

Agreed on all points... thanks for the feedback guys!

And yes, I think it's totally realistic for us to offer this. We've already made three shawl Nuovo's this year for tuxedo coats. It's really just enlarging the shawl and adding the extra button and loop.

Enlarging the shawl should be absolutely no problem, and they'll get back to me this week on the loop detail. Things are pretty flexible there so I think it's possible.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Love the shawl collar as well. Will be nice when it’s cooler to flip it up. Will the loop be functional?

Yup, it should be... there would be a small button on the opposing side, probably a tiny leather-wrapped one.

Come on, Alpine White.
And if that would be feasible w/ the shawl collar, just think how great that would be. It'd be like black tie for an English Professor in the 70's.

Oh Alpine White is absolutely going to be an option, it's the undyed color, so that's easy. It's actually going to be $10 cheaper as well since we don't have to dye it.

Haha and I love the idea of doing that with the shawl. Just to be clear, we've got two different corduroy things happening... the project is for Doyle's made in Los Angeles which will be $165 to $195. The Shawl sportcoat is a modified Nuovo made at Hickey Freeman. That's totally bespoke and in the high $700s. But I can absolutely source a white narrow or wide corduroy for that.

Oh yeah, that would be amazing

I think it's going to be totally possible! It's going to require some handwork, so probably a modest upcharge for it. Like $50 or so. Additionally, we might have to do it as a single preorder window. So I give it a name... let's say Nuovo Shawl... we can have a single week where people can order it as a jacket or a suit. That way, they can put one operator on to finish all of those little loops as a batch.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks again guys... the poll is closed! I combined these votes with our feedback on Instagram, and the final lineup will be:

RUST
BLACK GRAPE
MERLOT
MOCHA

We'll offer Alpine White as that's just the undyed color and it's easy to make. And I'm going to additionally offer Fluorescent Yellow because... I believe that we simply must. I'll return with the product link once it's online!

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Have you guys offered your ghost horsehide sneakers in the last few years? Seems like it should be an easy sale.

Sorry really not up to date with the history of this brand. So they've been having supplier issues?

Is Ming someone important to the brand?

Ming is our Sales Director and a Styleforum member... @L.I.T.

Yes, the past 18 months have been the world's least fun rollercoaster ride of supplier issues. But we're fighting through it and largely caught up. Fingers crossed that things continue to improve with all of our partner factories.

However, when it comes to the sneakers... that's a bit more complicated. I was super proud of our Horsehide sneakers and... humbly... I'll contest that we were making the best German Army Trainers on Earth for the price. But it takes a lot more than production quality and fit to properly market direct-to-consumer sneakers in 2021. A few reasons why I dropped out:

1) The market for minimal, Common Projects-esque sneakers is super saturated. There's a ton of brands in that space, and many of them are startups who can afford to underprice their goods in order to acquire new clients and push out existing brands. It's a tough scene to be in.

2) The return rate is absolutely brutal. You guys on Styleforum know your sizing and you're thoughtful before ordering. But.. the average dude... no freaking idea what size he needs. I'd have customers buy three sizes and return all three. By the time we cut off the shoe program, we probably had a return rate of nearly 50%. It simply wasn't sustainable.

3) It's really hard to be both a clothing brand and a shoe brand. A lot of casual customers simply don't believe that smaller brands can do both categories well. If a new customer comes to the site and sees a bunch of clothes but also a small in-house collection of shoes.. they often discount the shoes as a side project. They assume that the brand doesn't offer the same quality as a dedicated shoe brand. You guys are savvy enough to not make that assumption, but a lot of customers will... and you ultimately need the scale of a LOT of customers and volume to make it worth it.

Just wanted to give you my rationale behind discontinuing our sneaker collection. I really loved those products and I'm still very proud of them. It's something that I'd love to do again later on, but realistically, I'd need to be significantly scaled up and I'd most likely need a serious investor to make it happen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads