• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

aldenfan

Reaction score
We're working on it, but things are a bit more complicated than we thought. There's a LOT of options to shoot and represent. Realistically it may be next week or right after the holidays.

But, a little birdie told me that three long-awaited new Alden styles are dropping! We should have them in-store and online tomorrow.
Will the MTO shirting include OCBD? And will there be an option to specify body length and shirt sleeve length? Will the sizes go up to an XXL? I have really long arms so I need to be able to do long sleeves, and I have a 48 inch chest so none of the existing OCBD sizes Epaulet offers will fit me. The only places I have found online that have "tall" sizes I am not thrilled with but I am stuck with for now (i.e. Banana Republic pretty much is the only one I have found).

Reginald Bartholomew

Reaction score
Apologies for the following ramble, but given the retrospective nature of this time of year it may be appropriate:

I'm neither a particularly active poster on this forum, nor in this thread. I'm not the Epaulet customer that many others here are (I don’t own anything other than pants, for example, though various Walts and Rivets make up about half of what I cover my junk with; EPLA is certainly going to change that). But I feel a sense of community with the people in this thread, rooted in both an appreciation of particular aesthetic and in a team of people who seem to work their asses off to do right by those who buy their vision and their clothing. My brief encounters with Mike, Adele and company have always been pleasant and enjoyable, as have any I've had with the thread regulars. You can see bonds forming in this thread, friendships cementing themselves, and outright bromances developing and deepening. People genuinely seem to look out for one another in this thread, which is a strange thing to see on an internet forum. Meaning born of personal connection is, frankly, not what you'd expect in a thread on a forum devoted to clothing, and to see it happen does speak to the power of a shared passion and a little human decency.

And as the smart casual aesthetic has spread in both directions, to suits and now to sweatshirts, I have found new items and looks to appreciate (I never thought that cable knit fishermen sweaters, for example, would ever look anything but dowdy to me, and I'm glad I was wrong). The aesthetic is still rooted in a vision that's present in earliest Rivets: clean lines, slim fits, strong construction and interesting fabrics. The Epaulet team has a great eye for what works within those confines, and their ability to grow into new products while staying true to that underlying vision is admirable; the fact that a sobriety in fit and build is accompanied by a sense of fun and wonder is actually remarkable. The passion for the work is evident not only in the clothing itself, but in the way they sell it. It doesn't come across as "buy this," but rather "check out how cool this is," and I appreciate that sentiment.

So thanks to Mike and co for being great hosts as well as fine clothiers, much respect to the people of the thread, and may the road rise up to meet us all.

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am also curious as to what styles they could be. I am on 4 preorders that are almost 3 years old and haven't heard anything so can't be those. It would be an awesome Christmas miracle.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you guys think the olive herringbone walts will look with color 8, cigar, brown suede and whiskey Alden shoes? I'm likely going to pick up a pair in 34.

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you guys think the olive herringbone walts will look with color 8, cigar, brown suede and whiskey Alden shoes? I'm likely going to pick up a pair in 34.
I think they go well with all of those

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome post and so true. This community rocks.

Apologies for the following ramble, but given the retrospective nature of this time of year it may be appropriate:

I'm neither a particularly active poster on this forum, nor in this thread. I'm not the Epaulet customer that many others here are (I don’t own anything other than pants, for example, though various Walts and Rivets make up about half of what I cover my junk with; EPLA is certainly going to change that). But I feel a sense of community with the people in this thread, rooted in both an appreciation of particular aesthetic and in a team of people who seem to work their asses off to do right by those who buy their vision and their clothing. My brief encounters with Mike, Adele and company have always been pleasant and enjoyable, as have any I've had with the thread regulars. You can see bonds forming in this thread, friendships cementing themselves, and outright bromances developing and deepening. People genuinely seem to look out for one another in this thread, which is a strange thing to see on an internet forum. Meaning born of personal connection is, frankly, not what you'd expect in a thread on a forum devoted to clothing, and to see it happen does speak to the power of a shared passion and a little human decency.

And as the smart casual aesthetic has spread in both directions, to suits and now to sweatshirts, I have found new items and looks to appreciate (I never thought that cable knit fishermen sweaters, for example, would ever look anything but dowdy to me, and I'm glad I was wrong). The aesthetic is still rooted in a vision that's present in earliest Rivets: clean lines, slim fits, strong construction and interesting fabrics. The Epaulet team has a great eye for what works within those confines, and their ability to grow into new products while staying true to that underlying vision is admirable; the fact that a sobriety in fit and build is accompanied by a sense of fun and wonder is actually remarkable. The passion for the work is evident not only in the clothing itself, but in the way they sell it. It doesn't come across as "buy this," but rather "check out how cool this is," and I appreciate that sentiment.

So thanks to Mike and co for being great hosts as well as fine clothiers, much respect to the people of the thread, and may the road rise up to meet us all.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Awesome post and so true. This community rocks.

It's all warm and cordial until voting on the contest starts. When I take an early lead, oisin will leave a dead pheasant on my doorstep. I'll have him kidnapped and tortured by lesbians. He'll escape and a cross-country chase will ensue in which I narrowly make it to Brooklyn just in time to hide out with NYI. He offers me a glass of "fine bourbon" and the poison starts to kick in just in time for oisin to show up. Before he can exact revenge, wj4 appears out of nowhere in a black Thick as Thieves suit, an Epaulet liberty shirt, and pair of Reeboks. He guns all three of us down before making a quick escape.

Just you wait.

Last edited:

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick question regarding MTO chinos. Can I specify more than the options? Is it possible to give full measurements like luxire?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Was going to say basically this. I hate the broadcloth shirt with a button-down collar paired with a business tie look, but an OCBD with a knit tie (especially a wool knit tie) kicks ass.

Agreed 100%. My go-to look is always a patterned b/d collar shirt, silk knit tie, odd blazer, coordinating trousers. I think that B/D collars can work brilliantly with ties, but they lend themselves to ties with some kind of texture (knits, wools, slubby silks). And they are better with sportcoats than suits, although I think that they can jive well with textured suits - things like tweed, flannel, and linen.

For me, the basic idea is that B/D collars are less formal than points and cutways, so they're better matched to other less formal pieces.

I see EPLA shirts and jeans listed as categories on the site. :lurk:
Should I find something better to do with my day...?

Working on it!

I'm happy to say that we just had our first in-store EPLA sale. One of our best Cali customers - the gentleman in the custom blue windowpane suit - just came in to check out what arrived. He wears all of our dressy pieces (Walts, dress shirts, southwick jackets) and he fit BRILLIANTLY into the new merchandise. He wears a 38 Jacket and Medium Epaulet shirt, and he left with two Medium T-shirts and a Medium Western Shirt. The fit was spot on.

He wavers between a 31 Walt (in tweed/flannel/cord) and a 32 Walt (in super 120s and linen). He grabbed a 31 in the Wilshire Jean. Again, the fit was spot on.

Man, it's been a freaking journey to translate our East Coast fits into some West Coast production, but it paid off! Our fit templates are spot on, and our production is both excellent and very fairly priced here. We can expand the hell out of this line for the Spring. I'd love to hear your feedback when you get these pieces, but I'm confident that you guys will be impressed with every aspect of these garments. We're really proud of them!

Will the MTO shirting include OCBD? And will there be an option to specify body length and shirt sleeve length? Will the sizes go up to an XXL? I have really long arms so I need to be able to do long sleeves, and I have a 48 inch chest so none of the existing OCBD sizes Epaulet offers will fit me. The only places I have found online that have "tall" sizes I am not thrilled with but I am stuck with for now (i.e. Banana Republic pretty much is the only one I have found).

Absolutely, we've got 6 colors of solid Oxfords (white, grey, blue, pink, red, yellow) and two colors of stripes (blue on white, pink on white).

We cannot change the body length, unfortunately, but we can change the sleeve length. Collar size is going to be fixed too. We can easily do an XXL or a XXXL.

I'd love to be able to make your size. When you see all of the options, let's talk about your ideal sizing for a shirt. The best thing is to measure a shirt that fits you well now. We'll try to match that up to our pattern and see if it can work. If it does, then you'll have a ton of options for future work.

Hey Reginald, thank you so much for the post and all of the kind words! This is a fantastic community, and it's a privilege to be a part of it. Listening to you guys is one of the most important guiding lights for everything that we do.

Thanks for all the advice, I was undecided on the shirts so got this one Buttondown Collar Lavender Sunwashed Chambray and this one Point Collar Blue Pinpoint Oxford, I think I can wear either to work or play.

Since I just learned there is some new pants I've never heard of (Chino) I got these Rivet Chino Brushed Hazel.

Nice to find out about epaulet, can't wait to check out my new stuff.

Wow, these guys are really on the ball. I ordered some pants yesterday, 2 shirts and pants a couple hours ago, just got noticed it's all been shipped.

Thanks so much for your orders Sean, and welcome to the club!

I wonder when the new Aldens will drop??

Working on getting them online in the next few hours. We got a navy chrome tanker, navy chrome perf captoe boot, and a burgundy calf brixton

Brilliant! That's going to look fantastic.

Would I be able to get a schedule for the Epaulet Santa Monica store during Christmas week? Will the Epaulet Santa Monica store be open anytime from Monday the 23rd of December to Friday the 27th?

Sure thing. Santa Monica hours (worked by yours truly..)

Monday 23: Closed
Tues 24: Open 12-5
Wednesday 25: Closed
Thurs 26: Closed
Friday 27: Open 12-7
Sat 28: Open 12-7
Sun 29: Open 12-5

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tortured by lesbians? I'm in.

(Figureatively speaking of course considering...)

It's all warm and cordial until voting on the contest starts. When I take an early lead, oisin will leave a dead pheasant on my doorstep. I'll have him kidnapped and tortured by lesbians. He'll escape and a cross-country chase will ensue in which I narrowly make it to Brooklyn just in time to hide out with NYI. He offers me a glass of "fine bourbon" and the poison starts to kick in just in time for oisin to show up. Before he can exact revenge, wj4 appears out of nowhere in a black Thick as Thieves suit, an Epaulet liberty shirt, and pair of Reeboks. He guns all three of us down before making a quick escape.

Just you wait.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well if one of the parties to SVB's, um, scenario does win and is ultimately unable to take possession of the Vass shoe prize, I nominate myself to act as custodian of the shoes so that they don't end up in orphans court. I'm a size 45 in Vass.

wsumarine

Reaction score
The EPLA "teaser" categories are driving me nuts. Is checking the site 15 times a day to see if the gear is up one of the documented symptoms of Epaulet addiction?

:p

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads