• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Business casual? Buttondowns are your friend and Epaulet has plenty! :)

Thanks everyone for all the help, I'm learning some good stuff on here.
I'm going to try out one of these shirts to see what a quality shirt is like.

I'm wondering about the collars on the dress shirts. My current shirts are a point collar, I did buy a cutaway collar shirt a couple weeks ago, and I rather like it. I needed a pink shirt to wear on Fridays as this lady in our office has breast cancer and everyone wears some pink on Friday.

Office is business casual, I don't ware a tie, do wear a blazer and/or sweater in colder weather.

Is there any kind of rules for the collar type or is it just a personal reference?

SeanMarcellus

Reaction score
Business casual? Buttondowns are your friend and Epaulet has plenty!
smile.gif

I see that and they look very nice. For me business casual is dress with no tie or jacket required.
Being that I'm style challenged, I wondering about which collar to get.

Is the collar type just a personal preference?

fitchottie

Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing the new Aldens.

FLW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I see that and they look very nice. For me business casual is dress with no tie or jacket required.
Being that I'm style challenged, I wondering about which collar to get.

Is the collar type just a personal preference?
There are no real hard and fast rules, especially in biz-casual 2013. Generally the button down collar is the most casual. Many people on StyleForum will tell you never to wear one with a suit. From there, the wider the spread of the shirt the more formal it typically is. Point collars are more classic (and many will tell you outdated). Cutaways are pretty cool but very "on trend" for the times. Spread or semi-spread collars are more formal without being as attention-grabbing as a cutaway.

My recommendation would be to start with a buttondown and then look for something with a slight spread. And, yes, Epaulet buttondowns are amazing.

tigerpac

Reaction score
There are no real hard and fast rules, especially in biz-casual 2013. Generally the button down collar is the most casual. Many people on StyleForum will tell you never to wear one with a suit. From there, the wider the spread of the shirt the more formal it typically is. Point collars are more classic (and many will tell you outdated). Cutaways are pretty cool but very "on trend" for the times. Spread or semi-spread collars are more formal without being as attention-grabbing as a cutaway.

My recommendation would be to start with a buttondown and then look for something with a slight spread. And, yes, Epaulet buttondowns are amazing.
Can we just all agree that the british are right and buttondowns should not be worn with ties?

nest.gif

oisin

Reaction score

Can we just all agree that the british are right and buttondowns should not be worn with ties?

:nest:

OMG, why do you hate America? :eek:

Just kidding. The button down and tie look does bug me with suits and 95% of the time is done terribly (though maybe you can say this about most mens' clothing in the wild). Even when done well I do a double take because something seems off. But I have no problem with, and actually like, an OCBD with a tie and odd jacket.

SeanMarcellus, collar type is generally a personal preference, can say something about where your style comes from, and also can depend on your face shape and body type if you want to get nerdy about it.

SeanMarcellus

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice, I was undecided on the shirts so got this one Buttondown Collar Lavender Sunwashed Chambray and this one Point Collar Blue Pinpoint Oxford, I think I can wear either to work or play.

Since I just learned there is some new pants I've never heard of (Chino) I got these Rivet Chino Brushed Hazel.

Nice to find out about epaulet, can't wait to check out my new stuff.

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ties with button down collars work if you do it casual enough, eg. knit tie w/ a corduroy sport coat/blazer. I think "rules" like this come into being in some part b/c enough people get sick of seeing something look ****** so they try to guide away from it.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Ties with button down collars work if you do it casual enough, eg. knit tie w/ a corduroy sport coat/blazer. I think "rules" like this come into being in some part b/c enough people get sick of seeing something look ****** so they try to guide away from it.

Was going to say basically this. I hate the broadcloth shirt with a button-down collar paired with a business tie look, but an OCBD with a knit tie (especially a wool knit tie) kicks ass.

johanm

Reaction score
Personally I only like BD's with ties if (i) you and your outfit have a Wes Anderson vibe, or (ii) if the collar and lapels have big 70's style proportions

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OCBD with repp, knit, club, or other similar ties are great.

It gets tougher to pair them with finer silk ties, but it is done well by many.

SeanMarcellus

Reaction score
Wow, these guys are really on the ball. I ordered some pants yesterday, 2 shirts and pants a couple hours ago, just got noticed it's all been shipped.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I see EPLA shirts and jeans listed as categories on the site. :lurk:

Should I find something better to do with my day...?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads