• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

El QUaG

Reaction score

For you taller guys, are you able to tuck in your 19th century shirts due to the gussets and how high the lowest button is? From the comment above it sounds like they're best worn untucked for guys over 6ft like myself.

I'm 6' tall and despite having a long torso, I try to wear 19 C BDs tucked when in the office, but find myself constantly re-tucking! I wear size small because of my thin frame (medium is just too wide and boxy), and the overall length of the shirt just a touch too short for me.

Even with high rise pants worn around my waist (I run the risk of pants sitting too high and showing too much sock), I struggle to remain looking "neat" as the shirt inevitably slips undone around the sides. The high position of the lowest button doesn't help much either. I find the only solution is to wear a vest to hide it all away...

The high gussets and a-line design of the shirt definitely lends itself to wearing/fitting better un-tucked which is my preference out of office.

blue peter

Reaction score
I'm 6' tall and despite having a long torso, I try to wear 19 C BDs tucked when in the office, but find myself constantly re-tucking! I wear size small because of my thin frame (medium is just too wide and boxy), and the overall length of the shirt just a touch too short for me.

Even with high rise pants worn around my waist (I run the risk of pants sitting too high and showing too much sock), I struggle to remain looking "neat" as the shirt inevitably slips undone around the sides. The high position of the lowest button doesn't help much either. I find the only solution is to wear a vest to hide it all away...

The high gussets and a-line design of the shirt definitely lends itself to wearing/fitting better un-tucked which is my preference out of office.

El-Q, you might try a pair of shirt stays (ubiquitous in the military) to keep your shirt neat all day! a local army/navy might have them or i'm sure you can find them online!

Spehsmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or just buy a different shirt? I imagine EG meets business casual as a bad thing, but maybe that's just me.

Lendo

Reaction score
@El QUaG if you have a good tailor they should be able to close the side seams a bit and move the gussets down. I had this done a few times, but they have to know what they're doing.

Last edited:

blue peter

Reaction score
I love 19cbds as much as the next guy/girl on this board, but when we're talking modifying a $200+ shirt (assuming full retail) so it can be worn tucked at the office (when the real beauty is seeing it not tucked) seems a bit much...to each his own, though, for sure!
smile.gif

blue peter

Reaction score
on a related note, are there any women members of the EG/SF community? would be cool to see how a fully decked out lady rocks FWK!

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on a related note, are there any women members of the EG/SF community? would be cool to see how a fully decked out lady rocks FWK!

This chick always seems to do EG really well:
http://stephanie-hoff.tumblr.com/

As for the 19th Century BDs as business casual shirts, I agree that they can be tricky. While there aren't as many interesting fabrics as EG and the selection is very limited, Orslow has been a great alternative to EG for me for BDs. They incorporate pretty easily into my work wardrobe and work well with my EG stuff for more casual wear.

Epsund

Reaction score
Is there that much of a diff in sizing between fw14 & 15 Highlands? I know I've read that it was slimmed some, but like ... how much?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics