• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tobiasfunke

Reaction score
How do you guys usually size the 19th C button-downs? I'm still unsure about going small vs medium.

I'm 5'11 with a 38" chest, and was told earlier that I'm a medium in most EG shirting. I'm looking at the blackwatch plaid from this season, and online P2P measurements for a medium range from 21"-22" and the shoulders a whopping 18.75". Are they cut in such a way that I shouldn't be comparing measurements to shirts I already own?

Last edited:

eluther

Reaction score
TBB's measurements aren't as meticulous as a Japanese stockist, but their sizing recommendations are pretty good. Just as an example, the "waist" measurement they give for the B1P pant is 32" – which is the same as they give for the fatigues. Having both pieces, I can tell you unequivocally that the waist band measurement of both pants is not the same.

@tobiasfunke – You're a touch smaller than I am, but I've bought my 19th Century BDs TTS this season at a M. The shoulder to shoulder measurement is a little bigger than what you'd find on a more fashion-forward brand like Ervell, but it's not anywhere near 19". Mind you, it's not a slim-fitting shirt. They're a little blousy if you tuck them in, which isn't a big deal for FW when you'd expect to wear a jacket most of the time – or just leave them untucked.

Sizing down fails to alleviate the issue because the sleeves shorten considerably, which is compounded by the smaller shoulder to shoulder measurement. The high side gussets are also problematic because they can come up so high that you can't tuck the shirt in and leaving it untucked risks exposing your (read: my) muffin top every time I move my arms or lean over.

Beedub

Reaction score

This may be an odd question, but is the ribbing on the neck of the refrigerator vest soft? It's one of the only pieces I'm looking to try to get this season and I am not able to try one on beforehand. I had a WWM vest with a ribbed neck and it was really coarse and itchy, basically making it unwearable and it's made me a bit wary of that sort of neck. Plus, at £350+, it needs to be damn near perfect!

Can anyone comment on this?

rusticchasm

Reaction score
TBB's measurements aren't as meticulous as a Japanese stockist, but their sizing recommendations are pretty good. Just as an example, the "waist" measurement they give for the B1P pant is 32" – which is the same as they give for the fatigues. Having both pieces, I can tell you unequivocally that the waist band measurement of both pants is not the same.

@tobiasfunke – You're a touch smaller than I am, but I've bought my 19th Century BDs TTS this season at a M. The shoulder to shoulder measurement is a little bigger than what you'd find on a more fashion-forward brand like Ervell, but it's not anywhere near 19". Mind you, it's not a slim-fitting shirt. They're a little blousy if you tuck them in, which isn't a big deal for FW when you'd expect to wear a jacket most of the time – or just leave them untucked.

Sizing down fails to alleviate the issue because the sleeves shorten considerably, which is compounded by the smaller shoulder to shoulder measurement. The high side gussets are also problematic because they can come up so high that you can't tuck the shirt in and leaving it untucked risks exposing your (read: my) muffin top every time I move my arms or lean over.
i haven't bought any EG shirts cause the chest usually measures 19-20"
i measure at 18". thoughts on if it would shrink up with a wash and dry? the sleeves seems perfect to me...

eluther

Reaction score
@Beedub – I wore one for about 10 minutes and didn't notice it being itchy whatsoever. Seemed like the same ribbing I have on my primaloft vest from last FW which I wore with a tshirt a few times without it bothering me at all.

@rusticchasm – If you're a 36" inch chest, a S would most likely fit you at a 19-20" pit to pit. EG isn't going to be tight. You can always gamble with a dryer shrink but it's inconsistent. If you don't like the cut of EG shirts you could always get it tailored or just buy something you like the fit of.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks eluther, much appreciated! (How do you tag people on here?)

Use the @ symbol on the tool bar then type in the username @Beedub

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Made my first F/W purchase, the cable knit leisure jacket. Wanted to provide some pics in case it helps anyone with sizing:

(please disregard the rest of the outfit, just threw on the jacket over what I was wearing)

Some thoughts:

- I'm a large in EG jackets and m/l in shirts and I sized up here based on the recommendations of @eluther and others. The sleeves circumference is a little big, but I think a large would have been too small all around.
- The jacket is a lot darker in person than in store pics.
- It's a lot heaver/warmer than I thought it would be due to the internal lining. It wears like a really heavy cardigan.
- Nepenthes was nice enough to throw in a few of their usual extras:

Overall, I'm very happy with it, can't wait to wear it for the one week it gets kind of cold in January.

eluther

Reaction score

Overall, I'm very happy with it, can't wait to wear it for the one week it gets kind of cold in January.

Do what I did and move to Seattle so you can wear the clothes you like six months out of the year.

Jacket looks great. What's the brightly colored Pollack-looking thing at the bottom in the photo of the lookbooks?

mbaum

Reaction score
This looks indeed really good - One of the few pieces this season that I have on my list. With the recent heat wave here, I have zero motivation for winter clothes.

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do what I did and move to Seattle so you can wear the clothes you like six months out of the year.

Jacket looks great. What's the brightly colored Pollack-looking thing at the bottom in the photo of the lookbooks?

Seriously considering it. I'm sweating just thinking about when I took that photo in that jacket.

Photo is of a painting by a Nepenthes-promoted artist, can't remember her name, will update.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeKirk