• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EG sale starts June 26

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am reposting a portion of an earlier post that was embedded in a listing of EG 7's, in the hopes of provoking a response. Perhaps it went unseen, though it's also possible no one has a viable response/ gives a ****.

In the end my feet, like G.W., will be the decider. Just trying to ease the "angst" of anticipation. To whit:

Being a boot guy, I picked up the Banbury Chestnut 202 w/ Dainite sole (seems like they were offering this combo in most every size listed). My only other EG experience was with 808 last in 7E, and it was too narrow in forefoot. I sure hope 202 is more roomy up front. As a comparison, John Lobb 7E fits great in 9000 & 9501 lasts. Does this seem like a fair equivalent to EG 7E/ 202?"

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got confirmation on a pair of Dover in Chestnut. They said to expect 4 weeks for delivery.

jcriswel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AJL
I am reposting a portion of an earlier post that was embedded in a listing of EG 7's, in the hopes of provoking a response. Perhaps it went unseen, though it's also possible no one has a viable response/ gives a ****.

In the end my feet, like G.W., will be the decider. Just trying to ease the "angst" of anticipation. To whit:

Being a boot guy, I picked up the Banbury Chestnut 202 w/ Dainite sole (seems like they were offering this combo in most every size listed). My only other EG experience was with 808 last in 7E, and it was too narrow in forefoot. I sure hope 202 is more roomy up front. As a comparison, John Lobb 7E fits great in 9000 & 9501 lasts. Does this seem like a fair equivalent to EG 7E/ 202?"

If we neglected to notice that you were asking a question, I apologize, on behalf of the forum, for ignoring your question. I don't want to put words in your mouth, but I think your question is:

• Is the Edward Green 202 last similar to the John Lobb 9000 & 9501 lasts?

• Is the Edward Green 202 last roomier in the toe box than the 888 last?

I cannot address the first bullet because I do not own a pair of John Lobb's. I do own both a pair of Edward Green's on an 606 last and an 888 last. The 202 is similar to the 606.

I will provide the following pic to help"

eg202eg888mdhn7.jpg

The 888 last was designed for the American foot, I am told. Edward Green believes that the English foot and the American foot differ with regard to the width of the widest part of one's foot. The English, according to the theory, require a larger toe box than do the Americans. I cannot tell you why that is true, but I have heard it from the Edward Green staff. Consequently, the 888 leaves less room in the toe box, and the 606/202 leaves more. The 606/202 was designed for the English foot and for those who prefer a more "rounded toe" in the traditional English manner. The 888 has a narrow toe box and externally it is a more chiseled toe.

Having stated all of that, I would surmise that the selection you made with a 202 last will please you because the toe box will be fuller and the shape will be more round.

I have found the Edward Green sales staff to be most helpful in explaining these matters. They are quite responsive to e-mail. If you will send them an e-mail with your "enquiry" to [email protected], I am sure that they will be more than happy to explain the unique charateristics of their lasts to you.

I hope this helps.

minimal

Reaction score
And on a related note: can someone describe the differences between the 89 last (I think it's only for RLPL) and the "usual" lasts we see: 888, 808, 606?

I think the 89 is wider thoughout and has a wider, rounder toe than the 888. If anyone has any comments on this or any of the other comparisons, I'd much appreciate it!

(I was sure there was a posting on this, but could not find it...)

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcriswel
If we neglected to notice that you were asking a question, I apologize, on behalf of the forum, for ignoring your question. I don't want to put words in your mouth, but I think your question is:

• Is the Edward Green 202 last similar to the John Lobb 9000 & 9501 lasts?

• Is the Edward Green 202 last roomier in the toe box than the 888 last?

I cannot address the first bullet because I do not own a pair of John Lobb's. I do own both a pair of Edward Green's on an 606 last and an 888 last. The 202 is similar to the 606.

I will provide the following pic to help"

eg202eg888mdhn7.jpg

The 888 last was designed for the American foot, I am told. Edward Green believes that the English foot and the American foot differ with regard to the width of the widest part of one's foot. The English, according to the theory, require a larger toe box than do the Americans. I cannot tell you why that is true, but I have heard it from the Edward Green staff. Consequently, the 888 leaves less room in the toe box, and the 606/202 leaves more. The 606/202 was designed for the English foot and for those who prefer a more "rounded toe" in the traditional English manner. The 888 has a narrow toe box and externally it is a more chiseled toe.

Having stated all of that, I would surmise that the selection you made with a 202 last will please you because the toe box will be fuller and the shape will be more round.

I have found the Edward Green sales staff to be most helpful in explaining these matters. They are quite responsive to e-mail. If you will send them an e-mail with your "enquiry" to [email protected], I am sure that they will be more than happy to explain the unique charateristics of their lasts to you.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for your informative response. Actually my experience was with the 808 last, though if I am not mistaken, it is similar to the 888, at least as regards the chiseled toe. As you have indicated, my understanding is also that the rounded toe of the 202 last should provide a bit more "wiggle room" up front. The 2 Lobb lasts I mention also have a more rounded toe, hence if the overall lengths are similar between the EG & Lobbs, then I should be fine.

ACDoyle

Reaction score
Someone mentioned Kurt Geiger earlier in this thread and the website has two models in some unique colors, retailing for £345, any idea if these are old stock as they seem to have a very low retail

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ACDoyle
Kurt Geiger.... website has two models in some unique colors, retailing for £345, any idea if these are old stock as they seem to have a very low retail

They are last season's stock and have been reduced (they were £525, or so).
9385754104-1-edward-green-chelsea-toecap-wine-lace-ups-classic.jpg

http://www.kurtgeiger.com/online-sho...d+green/0/0/0/

They are all in extremely dark colours, lined in cardinal-red and double-soled: leather and Dainite respectively. (Maybe the specification was too adventurous).

If last 202 in E fits well, there might be a bargain to be had.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Only delivery to the UK though.
frown.gif
I'd be tempted by a Chelsea in wine, too. Anyone want to be a mule?
devil.gif

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just a quick note that might be of interest to some readers, esp. if you're in the UK -

EG also has shop-used shoe trees on sale. And by sale, I mean SALE. I got a pair of correctly-sized & lasted trees with the shoes I bought yesterday... for just £15 I think. They're phasing out the old ring-pull type trees, apparently, so they have to be sold.

Shipping would add to the cost for international buyers, probably making them uncompetitive. But if you're in the area anyway, that's a major bargain for EG trees.

PS. I don't know availability across sizes or lasts, and neither do I know if you need to buy a pair of shoes (or be a good prior customer) to qualify for the discount.

ziggyosk

Reaction score
Does EG ever have a sale on their MTO program?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think if you think about that for a moment, you'll realize why it makes no sense.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
I think if you think about that for a moment, you'll realize why it makes no sense.

But isn't there something where if EG is having a trunk show they waive some sort of fee? Maybe not a sale per se, but something. But I don't know much, if anything about that...

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
But isn't there something where if EG is having a trunk show they waive some sort of fee? Maybe not a sale per se, but something. But I don't know much, if anything about that...

No.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Just a quick note that might be of interest to some readers, esp. if you're in the UK -

EG also has shop-used shoe trees on sale. And by sale, I mean SALE. I got a pair of correctly-sized & lasted trees with the shoes I bought yesterday... for just £15 I think. They're phasing out the old ring-pull type trees, apparently, so they have to be sold.

Shipping would add to the cost for international buyers, probably making them uncompetitive. But if you're in the area anyway, that's a major bargain for EG trees.

PS. I don't know availability across sizes or lasts, and neither do I know if you need to buy a pair of shoes (or be a good prior customer) to qualify for the discount.

Thanks for the tip - I added two pairs to my order.
fing02[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads