• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as I can tell these look good as new, except I bought them used 7 years ago, so for me they look better than new?

Could you PM me (if you would prefer not to post it publicly) the price for this work? I lost my cobbler in NY and I am hesitant to send my nicer pairs to just any cobbler and this work looks exceptional.

gzheydey

Reaction score
Dang those look good. I have kissed a few frogs since I have been in this expensive rabbit-hole but Aram is a true prince. Rarely do you get A+ quality work and service but he never disappoints. I’ve got a pair of Alden’s he should be finishing up.

Congrats. Looking really good!
Aram is a true gentleman.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks clean. How’s his work and price compared to sending back to Northhampton? I’ve got a pair that’s due for a resole.
Aram is the other brother from the DC shoe shop sky valet which has been praised at length on these threads for their work (although not recently, as Aram left almost 10 years ago now).

For a time, he had a shop in Springfield, va, just outside DC where he sold Alden’s, gaziano & girling, paraboot & a few other brands. Great dude. I gotta give him a call & see how he’s doing. I wish I had work for him though.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks clean. How’s his work and price compared to sending back to Northhampton? I’ve got a pair that’s due for a resole.

Could you PM me (if you would prefer not to post it publicly) the price for this work? I lost my cobbler in NY and I am hesitant to send my nicer pairs to just any cobbler and this work looks exceptional.

His website gives a pretty good overview of services and prices.

ryanluo23

Reaction score
My other question is on the Ridgeway sole - do you find it to be too casual and incongruous with this boot make-up? I'd choose R2 if I had to spec this out myself but happy to be persuaded otherwise.
Beautiful!

I personally like the ridgeway and find that to be very comfortable/hardy vs danite & leather etc

The fact that the vamp almost closes is another big plus that I personally strive to look for when trying sizes.

Good luck

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay boys I need some advice - calling out the 303 owners (@jischwar, anyone else?)

I was bored yesterday and thought I'd pop down to the EG shop. Big mistake. I tried these beauties on:

View attachment 2125387
View attachment 2125389

Galways on 303E in my size, Ridgeway sole. They fit very very well heel to ball. Comfortable, no excess material, no heel slippage. Which is surprising as I usually need a narrow D width in the same size on 202. Do you see a fit difference usually between 202 and 303 on the same size and width?

The only thing is that the facings do touch on the shaft as you can see in the second photo. Given the fit is so good elsewhere I didn't find this to be an issue when wearing them around the shop. And they are fairly snug around my angle. But I'm thinking later down the line, when they inevitably loosen up, would this become a problem? I think not, as the fit over the instep is quite good and the facings seem sufficiently apart.

My other question is on the Ridgeway sole - do you find it to be too casual and incongruous with this boot make-up? I'd choose R2 if I had to spec this out myself but happy to be persuaded otherwise.
I have not noticed any discernible difference in fit between 202 and 303. My facings get pretty close as well, but have yet to touch even on boots that I've had for many years. Obviously, ymmv, but worst case is that the feel a little loose on the shaft and are locked in every where else. You can also add some moleskin to the boot to give you a little more room (think tongue pad for the shaft).

Looks like London Grain to me, if so, I'd consider that a very casual leather and completely at home paired with Ridgeway. I had R2 on my DOAK Galways, which I considered to be a more formal style and better match. Leather on my other Galways. Stick with Ridgeway here, I think it makes sense

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have not noticed any discernible difference in fit between 202 and 303. My facings get pretty close as well, but have yet to touch even on boots that I've had for many years. Obviously, ymmv, but worst case is that the feel a little loose on the shaft and are locked in every where else. You can also add some moleskin to the boot to give you a little more room (think tongue pad for the shaft).

Looks like London Grain to me, if so, I'd consider that a very casual leather and completely at home paired with Ridgeway. I had R2 on my DOAK Galways, which I considered to be a more formal style and better match. Leather on my other Galways. Stick with Ridgeway here, I think it makes sense
Thanks a lot, that's very useful!

I feel enabled now! :D

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay boys I need some advice - calling out the 303 owners (@jischwar, anyone else?)

I was bored yesterday and thought I'd pop down to the EG shop. Big mistake. I tried these beauties on:

View attachment 2125387
View attachment 2125389

Galways on 303E in my size, Ridgeway sole. They fit very very well heel to ball. Comfortable, no excess material, no heel slippage. Which is surprising as I usually need a narrow D width in the same size on 202. Do you see a fit difference usually between 202 and 303 on the same size and width?

The only thing is that the facings do touch on the shaft as you can see in the second photo. Given the fit is so good elsewhere I didn't find this to be an issue when wearing them around the shop. And they are fairly snug around my angle. But I'm thinking later down the line, when they inevitably loosen up, would this become a problem? I think not, as the fit over the instep is quite good and the facings seem sufficiently apart.

I have 303E Rosewood veldt galways and 303E london grain newmarkets. Both fit amazingly, I love them. The 202E I find has a shallower toe box (vertically, so that my big toe feels like it grazes the top of the shop) but otherwise it fits somewhat the same.

With my Galways, I do not have any issue with the facings lacing all the way closed like that, and I do have pretty skinny ankles. Though I don't wear galways with dress socks, I only wear them with athletic or boot socks, so that may change things up a bit.

As for ridgeway soles, ridgeway are the best on galways, especially any of the more rugged makeups (like you have with the london grain). 100% go with ridgeway as ideal, it's a country boot (albeit an expensive one) not a dress boot.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 303E Rosewood veldt galways and 303E london grain newmarkets. Both fit amazingly, I love them. The 202E I find has a shallower toe box (vertically, so that my big toe feels like it grazes the top of the shop) but otherwise it fits somewhat the same.

With my Galways, I do not have any issue with the facings lacing all the way closed like that, and I do have pretty skinny ankles. Though I don't wear galways with dress socks, I only wear them with athletic or boot socks, so that may change things up a bit.

As for ridgeway soles, ridgeway are the best on galways, especially any of the more rugged makeups (like you have with the london grain). 100% go with ridgeway as ideal, it's a country boot (albeit an expensive one) not a dress boot.
Thank you, that's very useful. I'll go have another try tomorrow and maybe take them home with me. :D

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chestnut London Grain
A96C5AA7-DF6A-4050-9BFF-ED79AEE089BB-45100-0000157FC8063233.jpeg

FA0C2559-0DFF-4182-9156-2753C95CFAEA-45100-0000157FC1359E68.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads