• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You will have considerably more room with the Harrow on the 61 last. I’m wearing Piccadilly loafers on the 184 last today, and while they look great, I wish I had put on my Harrow loafers today instead; the vamp and taper of the 184 is far more restrictive and narrow than the 61. You will lose structured arch support with the 61, however.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
x-post WAYWRN - Edward Green shoes (888 last), Punto Socks, New & Lingwood suit trews . . .

IMG_6862.JPG

Tutu

Reaction score
You will have considerably more room with the Harrow on the 61 last. I’m wearing Piccadilly loafers on the 184 last today, and while they look great, I wish I had put on my Harrow loafers today instead; the vamp and taper of the 184 is far more restrictive and narrow than the 61. You will lose structured arch support with the 61, however.

thanks! Do you think it

Thanks! So it will be like an alden LHS with maximum comfort but loss the structural support of an 184 last?
How about the heel support, I have a LHS but they are too loose for me at the heel, vamp is great

Tutu

Reaction score
thanks! Do you think it

Thanks! So it will be like an alden LHS with maximum comfort but loss the structural support of an 184 last?
How about the heel support, I have a LHS but they are too loose for me at the heel, vamp is great

it appears the Harrow on the right has a much sculptures heel

Attachments

• D14CF174-8B4B-43E6-A723-3AF8026E444A.png
    D14CF174-8B4B-43E6-A723-3AF8026E444A.png
    847.2 KB · Views: 107

ZRH1

Reaction score
re: Loafer Sizing.

I have recently bought two 184 lasted EGs. 1x Piccadilly and 1x Belgravia. They both fit a bit loose, but at most half of the heel comes out of the back of the shoe. The pictures attached are done with my foot pressed all the way to the front and I'd judge the space to be between 3 to 4 millimetres. As a reference, I have 2x 82 lasted Chelseas that fit me well but with their insole.

Would you consider sizing down?

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    209.8 KB · Views: 91
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 148

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
re: Loafer Sizing.

I have recently bought two 184 lasted EGs. 1x Piccadilly and 1x Belgravia. They both fit a bit loose, but at most half of the heel comes out of the back of the shoe. The pictures attached are done with my foot pressed all the way to the front and I'd judge the space to be between 3 to 4 millimetres. As a reference, I have 2x 82 lasted Chelseas that fit me well but with their insole.

Would you consider sizing down?

I was about to say 100% size down, but the next most important question is what's the fit like across the vamp, toes, instep?

ZRH1

Reaction score
I was about to say 100% size down, but the next most important question is what's the fit like across the vamp, toes, instep?

thank you. The fit is better on the Piccadilly and overall I have room. I prefer my shoes on the larger spectrum, for instance I stopped wearing my Meccariellos due to me not really liking the tight fit. Also, I once gave away a pair of Scafora loafers due to being too tight. Is there anything I can do with this pair? What about a tongue pad?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thank you. The fit is better on the Piccadilly and overall I have room. I prefer my shoes on the larger spectrum, for instance I stopped wearing my Meccariellos due to me not really liking the tight fit. Also, I once gave away a pair of Scafora loafers due to being too tight. Is there anything I can do with this pair? What about a tongue pad?

Well based on your response and knowing the heel will give a bit, I'd probably opt for the tongue pad as you mentioned. So, you would be keeping this size. The smaller size will become tighter all the way around, possibly ~1/8"-1/4". Which may ultimately lead to a less than desirable fit for your purposes.

From the picture though, that heel gap is worrisome, but since you said we are only talking about 4 mm (or 1/8") I would say that's not too bad.

Last edited:

ZRH1

Reaction score
Well based on your response and knowing the heel will give a bit, I'd probably opt for the tongue pad as you mentioned. So, you would be keeping this size. The smaller size will become tighter all the way around, possibly ~1/8"-1/4". Which may ultimately lead to a less than desirable fit for your purposes.

From the picture though, that heel gap is worrisome, but since you said we are only talking about 4 mm (or 1/8") I would say that's not too bad.

Again, thank you. I appreciate your help. In between our chat, I went to Mason & Smith, an excellent shoe store and cobbler here in Singapore (https://www.masonandsmith.com) and upon seeing my high arched foot, I was suggested heel pads, which I am wearing now on the Picadilly as a test and it feels quite ok. Should I still consider a tongue pad?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again, thank you. I appreciate your help. In between our chat, I went to Mason & Smith, an excellent shoe store and cobbler here in Singapore (https://www.masonandsmith.com) and upon seeing my high arched foot, I was suggested heel pads, which I am wearing now on the Picadilly as a test and it feels quite ok. Should I still consider a tongue pad?

In your case because it is a loafer (everyone has fit issues with loafers), the tongue pad is the way to go. The heel pad (and my issue with it in general) is it pushes your foot up, so then you begin scraping your toes on the front of the shoe's tip instead of where you foot is supposed to be. Which is your heel touching the shoe's heel. Moreover, the ball of the foot's placement is negatively impacted.

If the shoe was long (which you gave no indication that it was since you didn't mention ball of the foot misplacement), then we could talk about a heel adjustment. Then, you could have done some leather distances at the heels sewn in by your shoe guy.

That said, I'd select the tongue pad route based on what you have said thus far.

Last edited:

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In your case because it is a loafer (everyone has fit issues with loafers), the tongue pad is the way to go. The heel pad (and my issue with it in general) is it pushes your foot up, so then you begin scraping your toes on the front of the shoe's tip instead of where you foot is supposed to be. Which is your heel touching the shoe's heel. Moreover, the ball of the foot's placement is negatively impacted.

If the shoe was long (which you gave no indication that it was since you didn't mention ball of the foot misplacement), then we could talk about a heel adjustment. Then, you could have done some leather distances at the heels sewn in by your shoe guy.

That said, I'd select the tongue pad route based on what you have said thus far.

This is good advice. Insoles are excellent when the shoe is a little large all round, but tongue pads work very well on a slightly loose heel.

MontyLo

Reaction score
Scored a pair of older malverns for Cole Haan on the 202 last in what I’m guessing is nightshade. Thought it would be fun to post my last year of online pre-loved EG hauls. They’re all in heavy rotation and I’m trying to give them some real wear and character.

Attachments

• 7358E703-A313-401A-8724-77B04DC4871F.jpeg
    7358E703-A313-401A-8724-77B04DC4871F.jpeg
    504.8 KB · Views: 229

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas how to shrink suede Dovers? (Not looking for insole remedy) Bought a pair second hand in my size but the previous owner must have had ogre feet. My feet don’t feel as locked in as my other first hand Dovers . Thanks y’all

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas how to shrink suede Dovers? (Not looking for insole remedy) Bought a pair second hand in my size but the previous owner must have had ogre feet. My feet don’t feel as locked in as my other first hand Dovers . Thanks y’all

Heat will definitely shrink leather, although you could negatively affect them, especially suede. Saying that, I've heard my cobbler mention he can shrink or enlarge shoes with the boiling water method.

In your case, you want to shrink them so you'd warm up water. Almost to boiling. Use one of those thick big sponges (as below).

And soak up the water with the sponge. Remove most of the water (almost all), keep the sponge in there for 15 to 20 minutes. Ensure you don't put that boiling water on your suede uppers.
Thereafter, use your shoe tree and allow them to dry before using.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads