• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edward Green and Sky Valet - end of a great partnership?

Longmorn

Reaction score
Several years ago, SF and AskAndy introduced me to Edward Green shoes. The result has been a disaster for my pocketbook, but a sartorial revelation. Despite their expense, I now swear by EGs and enjoy them every single time I wear them. They not only look good (I average 2-3 random compliments/week) but are remarkably comfortable.

Also following this forum's lead, I've been buying EGs from 'Sky Valet' in Georgetown. As many of you know, look past the odd name and you find a pair of middle-aged brothers who run a small outpost of sartorial excellence with humility and good nature. They have spent countless hours teaching me about shoe construction, upkeep, etc. I have been consistently impressed by their knowledge, patience, and service. No hard sell here - they explain the respective qualities of different styles and lines and let the product speak for itself. Not an ounce of pretension - just nice guys who know their stuff and enjoy working hard at what they do.

So imagine my chagrin the other day when I went in and discovered that their relationship with EG is ending. Apparently over the last few years they've been having a hard time getting product, been repeatedly refused a trunk show, and treated with increasing levels of attitude by EG's rep for North America. Not sure who actually initiated the divorce, but from the description I heard, it sounds like the EG rep has been conducting a campaign of 'constructive dismissal' for a while now. And while I've only heard one side of the story, my experiences with Sky Valet incline me to take their account at face value.

I was even more surprised when I subsequently saw that Brooks Brothers is now carrying a couple of models of EG shoes in their Georgetown store. BB sales associates are never going to have the shoemaking knowledge of Adam and Hetom, who actually work on shoes themselves. And when I compare the snottiness and poor service I've encountered at Leffot in NYC with the consistently top-rate experience I've had at Sky Valet, I think Edward Green is doing themselves a grave disservice by dropping them as vendors.

I plan on emailing EG directly about this, and thought that other patrons of Sky Valet might like to know - and perhaps raise their voices - as well. Maybe if there's enough of an outcry from customers, EG will rethink it's decision.

Just to be clear, I have no relationship with Sky Valet or Edward Green other than as a periodic customer.

Cheers,
LM

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They need to re-establish their relationship with Carmina.

EBugatti

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I agree that it is a shame. DC is a sartorial wasteland. There are NO premium stores there at all (please don't call Saks, Nordstroms et al. "premium", nor the tiny Hermes, Gucci, etc. outposts that are excuses for having a presence). The only place where an occasional premium product can be had is in the likes of small boutique like Skyvalet. It is incredibly short-sighted of EG to leave them. They will certainly not sell much at BB in Georgetown--it is a college kid area, and none of them have ever even heard of EG. The incompetent staff will know nothing about them. My prediction: after having to unload a supply at drastic markdowns, EGs will not be available in-store at BB in DC at all. So now they go to no physical presence. A crying shame indeed.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree that it is a shame. DC is a sartorial wasteland. There are NO premium stores there at all (please don't call Saks, Nordstroms et al. "premium", nor the tiny Hermes, Gucci, etc. outposts that are excuses for having a presence). The only place where an occasional premium product can be had is in the likes of small boutique like Skyvalet. It is incredibly short-sighted of EG to leave them. They will certainly not sell much at BB in Georgetown--it is a college kid area, and none of them have ever even heard of EG. The incompetent staff will know nothing about them. My prediction: after having to unload a supply at drastic markdowns, EGs will not be available in-store at BB in DC at all. So now they go to no physical presence. A crying shame indeed.

BB has been selling EG for about a year now, albeit in a few stores. No markdowns at all yet. Also, a very limited selection.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BB has been selling EG for about a year now, albeit in a few stores. No markdowns at all yet. Also, a very limited selection.

And they are "clueless" at BB on the Shoes.
I have had the misfortune to visit both the Beverly Hills and NYC re-sellers and I was underwhelmed in both instances.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Big fan of Sky Valet. I've bought Alden and C&J there. They always are very accommodating. I know they have been frustrated with C&J's supply chain as well, but as one of only a couple dealers in the US, I guess it's just catch as catch can.

I knew they discontinued their EG MTO program about a year ago. It's a shame they're loosing the line.

They lost AS when they relaunched a couple years ago. I think they carried Vass up to about five years ago as well.

Seems like a brutal business.

They frequently have small stock of interesting brands. Don't know where they get them or how, but they always like to show me some interesting pieces.

I wonder if they will discount their current stock of EG to close it out... please.

oOLeg3ndaryOo

Reaction score
+1 ~ I'm in concurence gentleman. I have noticed their inventory decline also and have unfortunately eliminated some proxies from my contacts. Not to a do a disservice to the petition, but there is always Leather Soul based in Hawaii and Beverly Hills perpectively .

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sad story. I would say go for some sexy stuff like Bontoni or Italian stuff but a lot of guys want the UK stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads