• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

E.G. Cappelli Store now LIVE!

Bespoke DJP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unfortunately, I cannot help very much here. I have no code numbers as I picked these up at the store rather than ordering them from a catalog. The type of construction is noted in the original post. The width of the knit ties is 6.5 cm.

Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply and for literally measuring the knits.

As far as the code numbers are concerned, I though so - since you wrote that you bought them directly from the store - my mere suggestion is from now on to do so wherever this applies; in this way everybody benefits. Especially when the ties are in the wild, we can see the knots as well!

Finally, the width of the knits make me wonder because in the site it explicitly states that the offered width is 7.5cm. Considering that my favorite width - and the only one that I am after - is 7cm, now I have either way a discrepancy of 0.5cm.

Best

Dimitris

_AMD

Reaction score

Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply and for literally measuring the knits.

As far as the code numbers are concerned, I though so - since you wrote that you bought them directly from the store - my mere suggestion is from now on to do so wherever this applies; in this way everybody benefits. Especially when the ties are in the wild, we can see the knots as well!

Finally, the width of the knits make me wonder because in the site it explicitly states that the offered width is 7.5cm. Considering that my favorite width - and the only one that I am after - is 7cm, now I have either way a discrepancy of 0.5cm.

Best

Dimitris

You are spending too much time worrying over this. Patrizio will make you a tie in whatever dimensions you prefer.

Bespoke DJP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You are spending too much time worrying over this. Patrizio will make you a tie in whatever dimensions you prefer.

Hi,

Thank you very much for your comment.

To tell the truth, I was suspecting this! Do you know that for a fact? I mean, do you have first-hand experience either from a Patricio's answer over this matter, or better from an actual purchase?

I am kind of reluctant because one cannot be 100% sure with knits - which I adore - and their "spezzatura" variations in a predetermined width!

Best

Dimitris

_AMD

Reaction score

Hi,

To tell the truth, I was suspecting this! Do you know that for a fact? I mean, do you have first-hand experience either from a Patricio's answer over this matter, or better from an actual purchase?

I am kind of reluctant because one cannot be 100% sure with knits - which I adore - and their "spezzatura" variations in a predetermined width!

Best

Dimitris

I am absolutely positive that Patrizio will make you ties to your exact specifications.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much flexibility there is on the width of knit ties. I don't think they're made in the same way as wool or silk. I visited with Patrizio a couple of years ago and if I recall correctly, he told me that knit ties are made by a machine very similar to that used to make socks, so the tie comes out essentially as a tube, and you cut it to the length you want, close the ends, etc. I may be way off here, but I'm not certain it's as easy to customize the width of a knit tie as it is other styles.

Bespoke DJP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure how much flexibility there is on the width of knit ties. I don't think they're made in the same way as wool or silk. I visited with Patrizio a couple of years ago and if I recall correctly, he told me that knit ties are made by a machine very similar to that used to make socks, so the tie comes out essentially as a tube, and you cut it to the length you want, close the ends, etc. I may be way off here, but I'm not certain it's as easy to customize the width of a knit tie as it is other styles.

Hi,

Thank you very much for your insight on the matter.

Being really interested on this but not wanting at the same time to derail this thread, I would propose to continue our discussion to a brand new thread that I took the initiative and started.

Everyone is welcome, knit ties being the thread's sole subject.

The address is the following:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/517582/quintessential-knit-ties-comprehensive-discussion-appreciation

Cheers

Dimitris

_AMD

Reaction score

Sorry, I just went back and re-read. I missed the part where the discussion changed from grenadine to knit. You may be right in this case. I do not wear knit ties, so I have never bought one.

Bespoke DJP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry, I just went back and re-read. I missed the part where the discussion changed from grenadine to knit. You may be right in this case. I do not wear knit ties, so I have never bought one.

No worries! Perhaps, when the new thread starts rolling, you could be our guest and who knows, we may change your mind!

Cheers

Dimitris

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Best

Dimitris

Patrizio is 100% trustworthy.

If you email him and ask him he will answer your question accurately about whether he can or cannot adjust the width of a knit tie.

My credentials: He has made me a lot of ties. They are exceptional quality.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People need to develop and understanding for hand made garments in general. Since they're hand made, there's always the risk of human error involved. I know it can be frustrating to receive a garment that differs slightly from the description, but this is almost always in the margin of human error, a result of how you choose to measure the garment or stretch the garment when measuring etc. We had this guy (SF superstar) a couple of months ago that was freaking out because his silk tie was 0,125" wider than advertised. Now, he goes around bad mouthing Cappelli all over the forum because of his experience with one tie that was off by 3,5 %. I mean, that's ridiculous.

With that being said, I contacted Patrizio once as I was dissatisfied with how much my ties stretched after a couple of wears. I was meaning to ask Patrizio what could be done to avoid this in the future or how much less length I should ask for for my next order in order to accommodate for the stretching. Without hesitation, Patrizio gave me advise on the matter and asked me to ship back all the ties I wasn't satisfied with so he could re-cut them. That's pretty awesome customer service.

Stugotes

Reaction score
To add to the positive Cappelli experiences: I once ordered two ties, one of which actually was sold out. He contacted me and asked which one I would like instead. When I told him, he asked again, because he insisted on giving me an extra tie. So I ended up with "3 for 2" ties, just because he felt bad that one of the ties was not marked as sold out on his website. Best service ever IME.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cchristopher