• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

E.G. Cappelli Store now LIVE!

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think ultimately I'm not voting for any of them. I prefer the pattern of 16881 to 16886.

16886 is fine, but not something I think I'd wear. Even at the Drake's scale, I think the spacing is a bit too tight and the repitition of the same medallion is OK but not great. I'd like it better if the the colors of the medallions alternated so that, even if each was the same shape, they'd be visually distinct.

I like 16881 better. Partly it's because the medallion shape alternates so it's not as visually monotonous. But the colors of those, at least in the swatch photos, only seem OK. I might vote for 2 and 3, but .... I can't be sure of the colors of 2. I'd probably like them but I can't tell from the swatch. For 3, the square and round medallions need more color differentiation. But I like the idea of that burgundy neat. I'd like it more if it were challis rather than silk.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ok, I've send the feedback with emphasis on the popular ones from 16886 and its ilk (i.e. the two Drake's fabrics) but also noted the votes for the few in 16881. I've asked if they are all silk and will let you know the answer.

I expect Patrizio will remember to drop me a line when he gets what he ordered (I'm sure he has his own picks). I will let you folks know and you can email him or order from the website. Tell him these are the fabrics that Tweedyprof put up.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only one that has any appeal to me is #16886 - Colorway #5

I really like the dark shade of purple and the fall green.

Purple ties are not easy to wear. They usually tend, in my opinion, to be too bright for use.

But, a deep purple (aubergine) is a wonderful color for the fall that meshes well with just about all of the other colors in the Fall palette: browns, greens, siena, goldenrod, etc. And i think this colorway fits the bill perfectly and makes it very easy to use.

I could easily wear this tie with serious panache alongside any classic tweed jacket.

Last edited:

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok. He's intending to do them as challis which seems good to me.

Actually both as wool challis and silk. He asked me which I prefer; the former or latter, to which I replied the latter. He said he'd do it for me. If you prefer silk, just let him know. (I'm referring to the two Drake's ties, btw).

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ok, just heard from him and confirming DonRaphael's last post. He is going to do challis of the ones picked but of the two I liked (from the Drake's) also in twill silk. So, if you like the Drake's configuration, he will have it.

I might end up going with challis.

@PCK1 , I passed on your vote but you should contact him too. I agree with you. Passed up on a purple tie that @cezinho picked up which looks smashing on him (it's posted in WAYWRN and on his IG). I should ask for his advice more often before those ties sell out!

OK, I'm signing off. Will be back when Patrizio lets me know that the fabrics are in.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok, just heard from him and confirming DonRaphael's last post. He is going to do challis of the ones picked but of the two I liked (from the Drake's) also in twill silk. So, if you like the Drake's configuration, he will have it.

I might end up going with challis.

@PCK1
, I passed on your vote but you should contact him too. I agree with you. Passed up on a purple tie that @cezinho
  picked up which looks smashing on him (it's posted in WAYWRN and on his IG). I should ask for his advice more often before those ties sell out!

OK, I'm signing off. Will be back when Patrizio lets me know that the fabrics are in.

30-40 days, according to Patrizio. :D

EDIT: Just spoke to Patrizio. As I understand it, he will order challis exclusively. Silk is only available upon request. So I advice you to get in touch with him asap if you want the Drake's ties in silk.

I have ordered twill only for you because I have made in wool challis. I think 30 days - Patrizio

Last edited:

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just a quick word on challis vs silk in this make-up.

In general, for winter, I definitely like the slightly more subdued finish that challis will have relative to the silk.

Still, for what it is worth (and I don't have a horse in this race), the original Drake's initially looked like madders to me, a more muted color way. Here's Steve's pictures of the two fabrics Patrizio is also going to run in silk

http://gentlemensfootwear.myshopify...products/drakes-36oz-silk-foulard-tie-in-navy

Since my wool tie to madder ration is about 20:1, for winter, I thought mixing it up material-wise would be good. These strike me as sufficiently muted for tweed.

Here's a Cappelli Madder for comparison (medallions are larger here; it's available in the outlet where I picked it up):

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You and your faint praise, Sprout!

biggrin.gif

@sprout2

sprout2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You and your faint praise, Sprout!

biggrin.gif

@sprout2

Ha ha. Especially the jacket fabrics, they look great, like something I would line the back of my station wagon with...
mwink[1].gif

Just kidding. I don't own a station wagon.

OK, just kidding, really :p

Actually, after seeing the two pictures below I was gradually warming to your country look. I don't wear pocket squares, ties with a large motif, or v-neck sweaters with jackets, so that is usually all kind of hard to wrap my head around, but after studying your ouevre intently I am beginning to appreciate and respect it! This is progress.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member