• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Downtown Toronto

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, from Sept 4 - 8 I will be staying in Toronto, Canada. Looking forward to it and am trying to book my hotel room. I have been looking at hotwire and the rooms in the west side of downtown cost twice as much as the east side. Is there much of a difference?
Hotwire considers the east side to start a few blocks east of University Ave it looks like.

I'm looking to have a hotel pretty close to a lively, younger part of town. Hotwire doesn't seem to let you pick the exact hotel, just the area. I've never booked a hotel using one of these services but I hear good things about hotwire so that is why I'm using it.

I will be staying at the Westin Harbour Castle my second two days and have already booked.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started a thread about Toronto that included some good information about a month ago, if you're at all interesting in eating/shopping advice.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in Toronto a few weeks later and it seems for most of September, if you book a 4-star on Priceline, you're getting the Sheraton for $70 / night.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Check out the BCE Place for its architecture and eat at Le Marche – Movenpick.

Don't miss looking down on the glass floor of the CN tower:

13%20Glass%20floor%20CN%20tower.JPG

Jon.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That week is probably the busiest one of the year in Toronto because of the film fest (see http://www.tiff07.ca/) and hotels are booked and expensive - especially in the Yorkville area. You can see some nice movies and party with Hollywood stars
smile.gif

If you can stay at the Westin for your entire stay, do it. It's nice and by the water and a short cab ride (20 min walk) to most downtown hot spots. Be careful how far East you go with hotels. East of University is fine but not much further than Yonge which is probably the boundary hotwire uses and is essentially what bisects Toronto along East/West for street numbers...

I would be wary of hotwire because I know how busy that week is. Feel free to post questions about specific hotels and I'll try to answer as best I can.

Here is a nice view of the CN tower:

cntowersv4.jpg

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheHoff
I'm in Toronto a few weeks later and it seems for most of September, if you book a 4-star on Priceline, you're getting the Sheraton for $70 / night.
Okay, good to know. Right now I am actually booked at the Sheraton downtown and it is $350!!!! a night. So I want to cancel that reservation with something else. Maybe I'll live it up a little though. I'm already getting a discounted rate at the Westin for a night and a free night the other night. I tried staying there the whole time but there weren't any reservations available.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea, seriously, if you have the ability to cancel, you can get back in at the Sheraton for 1/5th the price. It sounds like you have a suite though so if that is your preference, keep it. I debated using Priceline (first time) but booking something better than the Sheraton would be at least $250 per night compared to $70. If you have the patience, check out http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showforum=162 And you can see exactly what hotels Priceline and Hotwire are booking but I can pretty much tell you Priceline is offering the Sheraton in September.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Maybe I'll live it up a little though. I'm already getting a discounted rate at the Westin for a night and a free night the other night. I tried staying there the whole time but there weren't any reservations available.

If you are staying there first, I would say there is 99% chance you won't have to leave if you don't want to. It's a big hotel and there will be a room. I've done this many times.

Don't forget that hotel prices during the film fest (Sep. 6-15) are orders of magnitude higher than other times due to the traffic in town so you won't get the same prices as Hoff for the Sheraton.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
If you are staying there first, I would say there is 99% chance you won't have to leave if you don't want to. It's a big hotel and there will be a room. I've done this many times.

Don't forget that hotel prices during the film fest (Sep. 6-15) are orders of magnitude higher than other times due to the traffic in town so you won't get the same prices as Hoff for the Sheraton.

I didn't realize the film festival was going on when I booked an appointment in Toronto 3 months ago. I am actually getting the room paid for at the Westin one night and a 50% off the second night, so I guess it will balance out.

gj555

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Check out the BCE Place for its architecture and eat at Le Marche - Movenpick.

Jon.

Except BCE Place is now called Brookfield Place and Le Marche Movenpick is now called Richtree Market
smile.gif

jabney

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gj555
Except BCE Place is now called Brookfield Place and Le Marche Movenpick is now called Richtree Market
smile.gif

I will second eating at Le Marche (apparently now called Richtree Market)! I'm from Western Canada, but I get out to the east atleast once a year and whenever I'm in Toronto or Montreal I always eat there. Have a good trip!

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
So, from Sept 4 - 8 I will be staying in Toronto, Canada. Looking forward to it and am trying to book my hotel room. I have been looking at hotwire and the rooms in the west side of downtown cost twice as much as the east side. Is there much of a difference?
Hotwire considers the east side to start a few blocks east of University Ave it looks like.

I'm looking to have a hotel pretty close to a lively, younger part of town. Hotwire doesn't seem to let you pick the exact hotel, just the area. I've never booked a hotel using one of these services but I hear good things about hotwire so that is why I'm using it.

I will be staying at the Westin Harbour Castle my second two days and have already booked.

I was there. It's a great hotel except for some reason their indoor heated pool isn't so heated.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'm going to be in GTA in about three weeks, just for the day. I'll be arriving on the VIA in the morning. Plan to hit China Town for some food and maybe some shopping. After that, we have some time on our hands, then we need to get over towards the CN Tower as we're meeting up with a husband and wife attorney team for dinner at the Tower. I am a tad dubious of the Tower restaurant, but they think it is a good spot to meet.

Any good clothing shops located amongst other general shopping I could hit between China Town and the CN Tower?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The tower restaurant isn't bad. It's market cuisine using ontario ingredients. It won't win any awards for creativity, but it's a cool place to eat because of the view, especially at night. The food shouldn't disappoint you unless you go in there with overly optimistic expectations.

TieCollector: The Harbour Castle has two towers. One of them has been recently renovated and the rooms are quite nice. Call and make sure you have one of those rooms.

doink

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Any good clothing shops located amongst other general shopping I could hit between China Town and the CN Tower?

Since you'll be in China Town (Spadina) take a detour into Kensington Market (just west of Spadina, go in off of St Andrew's or Baldwin).

In the Market check out

Tom's Place - mens wear job shop - suits, pants, etc. Can sometimes find good prices on mid level end lines (Corneliani is the "best" brand I've seen there for about 60% off retail), but also carries lots of "off brands"

On Kensington St there are vintage shops as well as indy designers as well as a great cheese shop (Global Cheese)

On Augusta there are a few vintage/shabby chic and ethnic specialty stores.

Between China Town and the CN Tower is Queen West, the shopping aimed at younger people. In terms of clothing, nothing special there, but check out Silver Snail (if you are into comics and collectibles) and Pages Book Store on Queen Street.

Other advice, since you are going to be mostly in the core, get TTC day passes, lets you on and off as much as you want.

If you have a specific interest, please post and I'll see what I can think of.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads