• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress Shirt Problems (So Stressful!)

alexk26

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have been extremely unlucky trying to find clothes that fit. I am about 5'10, 150 pounds. Contrary to popular belief, I am actually not too skinny. I have a decent build, and used to weight lift a while back. Every shirt I buy is too big on me. I went to Banana Republic, tried on shirts (thought they fit fine), and realized they were way too big. I would sit at my desk at work and the sleeves were double the width of my arms and wrists. The side, front, and back of my shirts were huge and stuck out so much. I realized the shirts I bought didn't have collar sizes or sleeve lengths, only small/medium/large/extra large.

Next, I tried Charles Tyrwhitt. They have good quality and decent prices. After measuring myself like 5 times, I determined the best fit was a 15.5 collar size and a 32 sleeve length. The shirts I selected were slim fit. Waited 3 weeks for them in the mail. Tried them on. Much better fit, but still too big. WHAT DO I DO?

They said I could do a free exchange but I have no clue what the correct decision is. I am trying to put on muscle, so I don't want to outgrow a shirt. At the same time, it is so sloppy looking to walk around in shirts that are too big.

Do I go from a 15.5 to a 15 collar in the slim fit or do I go to an "extra" slim fit and stay at a 15.5 collar?

Please help, thank you so much!!!

jack webb

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have been extremely unlucky trying to find clothes that fit. I am about 5'10, 150 pounds. Contrary to popular belief, I am actually not too skinny. I have a decent build, and used to weight lift a while back. Every shirt I buy is too big on me. I went to Banana Republic, tried on shirts (thought they fit fine), and realized they were way too big. I would sit at my desk at work and the sleeves were double the width of my arms and wrists. The side, front, and back of my shirts were huge and stuck out so much. I realized the shirts I bought didn't have collar sizes or sleeve lengths, only small/medium/large/extra large.

Next, I tried Charles Tyrwhitt. They have good quality and decent prices. After measuring myself like 5 times, I determined the best fit was a 15.5 collar size and a 32 sleeve length. The shirts I selected were slim fit. Waited 3 weeks for them in the mail. Tried them on. Much better fit, but still too big. WHAT DO I DO?

They said I could do a free exchange but I have no clue what the correct decision is. I am trying to put on muscle, so I don't want to outgrow a shirt. At the same time, it is so sloppy looking to walk around in shirts that are too big.

Do I go from a 15.5 to a 15 collar in the slim fit or do I go to an "extra" slim fit and stay at a 15.5 collar?

My height and weight are very close to yours and I have the same problem: medium- sized shirts are often too big, and small-sized shirts frequently too small. With respect to the Charles Tyrwhitt shirts, if it were me I'd keep the 15.5 collar and try the extra slim fit. In general, though, it's just a matter trying things on until you find the right fit, understanding that the correct size is apt to vary across brands. I like to wear my shirts untucked and have found that slim, small Untuckit shirts fit well, as do small Buck Mason button downs.

Another option, of course, would be to buy from a vendor such as Proper Cloth or Woodies that will make a shirt to your specifications (I believe Charles Tyrwhitt now has this service as well for at least some of their line). Naturally this will cost more, but if off-the-rack cannot nail your fit it might be worth considering.

KOz

Reaction score

I know exactly how you feel. Bodybuilding has made purchasing clothes more difficult.

Unfortunately, you kind of have to make peace with the fact that going through cutting/bulking cycles and wanting a perfectly fitting wardrobe are at odds.

For best fit, you can get a bespoke made shirt.

Otherwise get a shirt that fits the shoulders and chest, then have a tailor alter it. Stay on the looser side of fits.

Panama

Reaction score
I am the size of a Gorilla. Thankfully Charles Tyrwhitt size 18 with 37 inch sleeves fit me perfectly...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads