• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does being overdressed make you better dressed?

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
if you're in high school or college, and don't have to dress up in a suit - then don't. if you want to dress "nice," dress like a high school/college kid in streetwear, but be stylish in the clothing you choose in that regard. you're just asking for attention, most of which may be perceived as snobbish or pretentious.

Sounds like a very nazi-ish comment to make...if you "dress well" in ANY occasion, you "may be perceived as snobbish or pretentious". I never wore a suit to school, but I did wear blazer/trouser combinations quite often my senior year.

It's not as big a thing as you try to make it out to be. For the first week or so when I started, people gave me a lot of ****. After that first week when they saw that I was just wearing what I liked, the **** turned to props/respect since they knew I really didn't care and that i was COMFORTABLE in what I was wearing. It wasn't about being an attention whore for me, I just wanted to wear what I wanted. Again, after the first week, everything was back to normal. No one thought it was weird at all. Honestly, it's just a jacket with lapels and pants with a crease....whoop dee ******* doo. Since then, I'm a freshman in college and still "dress up" every once in awhile, but not nearly as much since I'm in a constant rush and simply don't have much time in the mornings...

I honestly think that showing up to a special event "over dressed" is far more attention whore-ish and tacky than showing up to school/work "over dressed". Showing up somewhere regularly while dressing in a certain manner establishes a standard that all your peers eventually accept as normal.

Showing up for a one time shindig like a wedding in full white tie gear provides no means for comparison to how you normally dress and thus comes off as tacky.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads