• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone know of this shirtmaker?

mltokyo

Reaction score
Hello All,

Been reading the forum for a while but first time posting.

The Isetan department store in Shinjuku is hosting an event where I can order a shirt made by the (translation of "recognized") Napoli shirtmaker Maria Santangelo. The shirts in the invitation look nice, but I'm a bit skeptical as I haven't heard of her, and couldn't find any information after running a search.

Isetan is known for offering the best, so I don't think they would be selling garbage, but I'd like to hear if anyone has any feedback.

Prices start at around $200.

Thanks

mltokyo

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw your post on AAAC.

I don't recognize the company, but then again, there are a HUGE number of people selling "neapolitan", or 'handmade' shirts in the area, some decent, most are so so or junk. From the website you posted, they seem to be a small factory located in a town outside Naples. I can't tell from the photos how well the shirts are made.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven`t heard of them either, but the best way to do it with the Isetan type visiting tailors is just to go and check them out first.

Some of the stuff is just OK. You don`t have to buy if you don`t want, so just go check them out while doing some shopping. If you like what you see, then try to make a few test shirts.

mltokyo

Reaction score
Thanks T4phage.

I'll proceed with caution. An AA reader found that some RTW shirts from the maker are sold fairly close to Isetan, so I can go take a look before I commit.
Perhaps I'm being optimistic, but I can't imagine that they would make a poor quality custom shirt if the RTW line is good.

I'm not quite the connoisseur, but think I can spot a well made shirt, and would be happy to report back if anyone is interested.

mltokyo

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads