• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discuss Swaine Adeney Brigg cases

jodaghoda

Reaction score
Lovely! Did you go with the bespoke option and add a shoulder strap? Look forward to seeing pictures of the interiors and also your review.

Sonny1

Reaction score
I am new to this forum and wondered if anyone has Swaine Adeney's Chesterford trolley cases. I would appreciate your opinions regarding the quality of construction and the robustness of their trolley handle and wheels. I am assuming that these cases are machine stitched due to their size.

MMNY

Reaction score
I just purchased a "new, unused" Swaine Adeney Westminster 3, Chestnut, but when I compare it what others have posted, it has distinct differences, and appears more like a bag made by Ray Clark--even though it has a SA label. In particular, the strap holds are not squared off, but pointed, and the buckles on the strap are squared off, not round like an SAB.

Anyone have an opinion? Thanks.

Here are pics:

Sonny1

Reaction score
I have noticed that he is selling at substantial discounts to SAB's recommended retail price. You may want to confirm with SAB if they actually manufactured these pieces.

MMNY

Reaction score
Thanks. I sent them an email earlier today. See if I hear something back tomorrow. I was puzzled about the discount as well.

casemaker

Reaction score
He has listed the 2 cases he has on e-bay uk, as "100% TRADITIONAL HAND STITCHED ONE STITCH AT A TIME " this is incorrect, only the handle and the chapes holding the handle to the case are hand stitched, the rest is machine stitched. On your case, the chapes holding the body straps will also be hand stitched.

jazzsol

Reaction score

Yes, I did.  His eBay name is tumsteph.  He's been selling on eBay since Nov. 2014 and has all good reviews.  His actual name (which I received via email) is Steve Bell.

Was it necessary for you to post his actual name for the world at this time? He has not done anything wrong yet. You bought the bag at a substantial discount which makes you nervous.

MMNY

Reaction score
Quote:
I suppose not, and I'm not accusing him of anything. His name is readily available at Ebay; it is not private, and I was only responding to the person who asked if it was from a UK seller on eBay. The products he's selling look quite genuine and I know there are variables in products. Also, he's a very nice guy.

Last edited:

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought
Quote:
I suppose not, and I'm not accusing him of anything. His name is readily available at Ebay; it is not private, and I was only responding to the person who asked if it was from a UK seller on eBay. The products he's selling look quite genuine and I know there are variables in products. Also, he's a very nice guy.
I thought you said you got his name via email? It looks genuine to me, machine stitched as opposed to hand stitched, but legit.

letsi

Reaction score
Well, here's my 2 cents as one of the customer who actually bought one of Ray's briefcase.
He has listed the 2 cases he has on e-bay uk, as "100% TRADITIONAL HAND STITCHED ONE STITCH AT A TIME " this is incorrect, only the handle and the chapes holding the handle to the case are hand stitched, the rest is machine stitched. On your case, the chapes holding the body straps will also be hand stitched.
Ray publicly disclosed that his briefcases are only hand stitched for the handles, chapes as well as the stitching on the straps and buckles as can be seen on his ebay listing. http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/The-Gran.../251792448892?ssPageName=ADME:B:WNARL:SG:1123 As what Simon had noticed for this seller, he left out that fact or he could be parroting SAB's marketing line that all parts of SAB's briefcase are hand crafted. That said, the discrepancies here would be the stitching on the leather straps considering SAB West Minister briefcases generally only have their straps imprinted with parallel lines and not stitched like what Ray does for his briefcases. http://www.ebay.com/itm/SWAINE-ADEN...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Was it necessary for you to post his actual name for the world at this time? He has not done anything wrong yet. You bought the bag at a substantial discount which makes you nervous.
Quote:
Ray's ebay nick is actually som3652010 in case anyone's wondering... As for the case that you've gotten, you've got to show more pictures but the stitched straps, sharp ended strap holds and squared buckles are signatures of Ray's current work (i.e. after SAB) not found in SAB's, the strap holds of his work have crosses as you can see in this picture
which he claimed was something of his personal signature he had retained from his SAB days as seen in the below SAB briefcases previously made by him.
SABStrapRoundDLTAndChestnut.gif
It's up to individuals if they want to take that claim with a pinch of salt but I've not spotted the crosses on the holds on the newer SAB briefcases shown here on this thread nor the ones on SAB's website. Hence it's quite surprisingly to see this together with the stitched leather straps I've noticed on the seller's listing of all SAB briefcases he sold... The top of the first leather partition is actually reinforced by stitching to another piece of leather that is imprinted and branded with Ray's shop's name. Westminister Briefcases from SAB does not have this. It is also something not shown by the seller for all his SAB briefcase listing's photos
As for if anyone bought his cases and re-branded them as SAB... Looking at the Westminister briefcases the seller in question has sold recently, they all appeared to bear those features of Ray's briefcases (other than the one listing with the round lock which Ray doesn't really use IIRC) which none of the SAB briefcases showcased in this thread have (would love to be proven wrong) Ray could have chipped in too but he's no longer responding much to emails or posts here after giving up this trade.

Last edited:

MMNY

Reaction score
There were more pics but I didn't post them. However, On the one I purchased the strap holds have crosses, just like in the pictures you showed, but the label inside says Swaine Adeney 1750. When I receive it, I'll follow up.

Sonny1

Reaction score
As mentioned above, these cases are being sold with the Swaine Adeney label inside. If they have genuinely been manufactured by SAB, then you're getting great value, as I recently bought a Paternoster from the London store for £2295. If they haven't been manufactured by SAB, then that opens up a different issue.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads