• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Difference between alligator and crocodile?

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hermes needs to overcharge to fund the global expansion, but I'm still trying to deceide whether the bespoke is worth it.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bespoke is so exciting....I'm not excited anymore buying suits or shoes from a shop....John Lobb ,Cartier ,Louis Vuitton ,they do not give me the buzz i have when i visit my bespoke makers....

I'm like a naughty doing something wrong and feeling guilty about it ..i love the adrenaline rush,the guilt ,the depression around a good buy..

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Be very careful. Visual identification, even for experts, is tricky at best. In croc there is the telltale pore near the center of each scale, but caimen (which is actually more closely related to the alligator) has no pore. Scale shape is also quite tricky due to variation from animal to animal. I'm not suggesting that these makers would try to rip someone off; I'm just pointing that out.

I am 99.9% sure you have it backward. The "telltale pore" is to be found on caiman and is where an osteoderm has been removed. Caiman is often sold as "crocodile" in the shoe trade, and this is no doubt the cause of the confusion. Caiman is considered much less valuable, because of the osteoderms than true crocodile or American alligator skin. The only true crocodiles figuring in the hide trade these days are the Indo-Pacific or Saltwater crocodile (Crocodylus porosus) so beloved by the late Steve Irwin, the Nile crocodile (niloticus) and the Siamese (siamensis). All of these are highly desirable precisely because they are medium- or small-scaled and have no osteoderms in the belly and flanks.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Bespoke is so exciting....I'm not excited anymore buying suits or shoes from a shop....John Lobb ,Cartier ,Louis Vuitton ,they do not give me the buzz i have when i visit my bespoke makers....

I'm like a naughty doing something wrong and feeling guilty about it ..i love the adrenaline rush,the guilt ,the depression around a good buy..

Well played. Walk this way...
smile.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What is the colour of the shaft? A shade of olive?

The Sea turtle is Wow.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Labelking ,these boots are uber-decadent....

Have you thought of kitten leather or something as decadent?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I actually have a Russian dog fur hat though dog fur isn't too decadent, in my opinion.

I would like some person on the streets--or the stores--to become outraged at my choice of footwear, all sputtering and New Age indignation galore.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Labelking ,you're the most delightful non Politically correct person in this forum (for fashion reasons)...

I do feel for the sea-turtles because they are placid beautiful animals but you can kill as many snakes&crocs you do wish...

You're on Greenpeace hitlist now..Beware of any eco-warrior around your office...

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Do you think these will go over well in Berkeley?

These are the first pics I ever recall seeing of sea turtle. Thanks for posting.

I think most people who notice your boots will assume they are croc.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you do have problems with Greenpeace ,call Laurent Fabius ,he will help you...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads