• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did I do okay dressing for this wedding?

Reaction score
Hello, this picture was from a wedding I attended recently. It was a daytime and summertime wedding in KS that was more on the casual side, nobody wore a full suit. It was a very small wedding, maybe 20 people attended. I had a few concerns about my outfit. Do you think I dressed properly for the occasion? Here are a few things I was curious about:

1. Is it okay to wear a sport jacket that is close, but not exactly, to the color of the trousers? I have a light tan linen sport jacket with khaki wool trousers. I have heard that this can be a fashion faux pas because it might look like a poorly matched suit?
  2. Is it okay to wear light tan or is that too close of a color to white? I understand you're not supposed to wear white to a wedding, but was my tan sport jacket okay? For reference, the groom wore more of a pure white sport jacket with light blue shirt and darker blue tie.

WeddingPIcCropped_zpslk7w2ed6.jpg

Wish I had a fuller-length picture, but the the jacket is tan, the trousers are khaki with brown dress shoes. The tie is knit and the shirt is a mini-gingham

J o s h

Reaction score
Some here may nitpick, but I think your outfit was fine. Hope you had a good time and wishing the newlyweds a great life together.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent for a small informal wedding.

On the other point, the sports coat and trousers should be distinct either in colour or texture.

Reaction score
Found another picture of it:

Do you think the trousers contrasted enough in texture + color to work suitably? Wish I had a full body picture to show, the lighter jacket almost made the khaki trousers look like a light brown.

IMG_1237_zpscwazq9gy.jpg

Last edited:

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. That combo doesn't look like a mismatched suit. There is enough contrast to prevent that. It isn't my favorite color pant for that coat, but it doesn't look bad.

2. The coat is a perfectly suitable color for a wedding guest.

3. I think you dressed appropriately.

4. I really like that coat on you.

Reaction score
Thanks, out of curiosity, what is your favorite trouser color with that coat?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All these are fine, you have good taste.

I would think about that pocket square cut from a table cloth though - it is nit picking but it does not detract from your success, merely enhances it!

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, this picture was from a wedding I attended recently. It was a daytime and summertime wedding in KS that was more on the casual side, nobody wore a full suit. It was a very small wedding, maybe 20 people attended. I had a few concerns about my outfit. Do you think I dressed properly for the occasion? Here are a few things I was curious about:

1. Is it okay to wear a sport jacket that is close, but not exactly, to the color of the trousers? I have a light tan linen sport jacket with khaki wool trousers. I have heard that this can be a fashion faux pas because it might look like a poorly matched suit?
  2. Is it okay to wear light tan or is that too close of a color to white? I understand you're not supposed to wear white to a wedding, but was my tan sport jacket okay? For reference, the groom wore more of a pure white sport jacket with light blue shirt and darker blue tie.

WeddingPIcCropped_zpslk7w2ed6.jpg

Wish I had a fuller-length picture, but the the jacket is tan, the trousers are khaki with brown dress shoes. The tie is knit and the shirt is a mini-gingham

Missed this one. What's wrong with white at a wedding? Another silly notion handed down through the generations I think.

Reaction score
Missed this one. What's wrong with white at a wedding? Another silly notion handed down through the generations I think.

Well white at a wedding is a definite no no for women is it not? Not sure how much it applies to men though. It takes attention away from the bride whom, perhaps along with the groom, are the only ones who should be wearing white. My understanding at least :)

Last edited:

Reaction score
All these are fine, you have good taste.

I would think about that pocket square cut from a table cloth though - it is nit picking but it does not detract from your success, merely enhances it!

lol thanks, so I take it you like the pocket square

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Co-signing the consensus that this outfit looked fine. I think you have enough contrast in the strides to make them distinct from the jacket.

I have problems distinguishing dark colours so I'm hoping the tie was navy not black. Black knit or grenadine ties have some popularity on SF but I always reach for something different and mine sits on the rack waiting for the next funeral. (Hope I don't need it any time soon!) A navy grenadine is probably the most versatile tie you can own. This is a minor criticism from me but it does look a bit severe amongst all the light earth tones in the rest of your outfit. I might have gone for something brighter in keeping with a summer outdoor wedding - maybe something with some pink or fuschia in it.

Also - due to the lighter jacket with darker strides being a bit more tricky to combine than vice versa, I also agree with suggestion above about pairing 'washed blue' strides with a beige cotton jacket. I have a similar coloured jacket and found that a pair of 'marine blue' chinos probably work best with it or else dark navy jeans. Your caramel coloured chinos looked fine too!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads