• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Decision on selecting the right pair of boots

Nyxbrock

Reaction score
Hi all,
Im currently stuck in a dilemma between 2 pair of boots Im planning to wear casually mostly with jeans (all sorts of colors).
Not sure if I should go with Alden 4515H plain toe black or Truman Black Waxed Flesh. I measure an 8E on the Brannock and wear size 9 in most sneakers. I believe Im a 7.5E on the Barrie last of the Alden’s and not quite sure as to what size I would need to buy for Truman’s if I were to get those. Any help as far as insights and sizing would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• 4AC0F417-B366-4023-A303-748C7B6102D5.jpeg
    4AC0F417-B366-4023-A303-748C7B6102D5.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 268
  • 82D5472D-EB5E-4DAA-A308-30C2D38024F8.jpeg
    82D5472D-EB5E-4DAA-A308-30C2D38024F8.jpeg
    160.4 KB · Views: 264

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like black boots with certain workwear outfits, but they're very context-specific. It really depends on the overall outfit. Brown boots are going to be more versatile, and with the exception of an even narrower range of outfits -- like all-black outfits -- any time a black boot can work, a brown one can too.

Examples:

raw denim blue jeans with grey sweatshirt and olive milsurp jacket: can work with black or brown boots.

black leather jacket with white tee and black jeans: only black boots

raw denim blue jeans with brown shetland sweater and olive green barbour: only brown boots.

Depending on your wardrobe, you may be better off with brown boots.

Nyxbrock

Reaction score
I like black boots with certain workwear outfits, but they're very context-specific. It really depends on the overall outfit. Brown boots are going to be more versatile, and with the exception of an even narrower range of outfits -- like all-black outfits -- any time a black boot can work, a brown one can too.

Examples:

raw denim blue jeans with grey sweatshirt and olive milsurp jacket: can work with black or brown boots.

black leather jacket with white tee and black jeans: only black boots

raw denim blue jeans with brown shetland sweater and olive green barbour: only brown boots.

Depending on your wardrobe, you may be better off with brown boots.
Hi thanks for your insight. I do have a pair of brown iron rangers and looking to get a pair of black boots as well to broaden my selection of styling

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think the two black boots you posted are mostly the same, to be honest. But the black waxed flesh service boots are a little more rugged and will go with workwear outfits, whereas the black Aldens can work across a wider range of things just because it's a little cleaner and less directional. I think it just depends on what kind of outfit you're trying to create

I have a pair of black Pretziada boots I wear with chore coats and raw denim jeans, but they're a little too chunky and rugged with other things. Then a pair of black Margiela side zips I wear with black jeans and charcoal topcoats.

I would start with your wardrobe, then think about the kind of outfits you're trying to make, and go from there. If you really like super rugged, workwear styled clothes, then prob the service boots. If you're just starting to build a wardrobe, maybe the Alden so you have room to experiment.

Generally though, I would avoid buying something just for color variety. And again, instead start with the kind of wardrobe you're trying to build. Plenty of well-dressed guys don't have black shoes; plenty of others only wear black shoes.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sa.conversano