• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Darts in shirts

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The most i've seen our tailor take in a shirt is 7". I don't know if this is the limit or not.

As for darts i don't mind them. I have a Brioni shirt with them and it doesn't really matter to me if they do. Some "cheap" tailors will only do darts and not recut the shirts but from what our tailor has told me shirts like Lorenzini with set in sleeves are harder to take in and darts are usually the answer.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by demeis
from what our tailor has told me shirts like Lorenzini with set in sleeves are harder to take in and darts are usually the answer.

What are set in sleeves?

What does sleeve treatment have to do with tapering the waist?

Freddy Vandecasteele

Reaction score
My original post was not how much you can take in the waist mesurement.
I like the back darts an I mean back for the "Aspect"
And taking in X inches on a 5 foot or a 7 foot person is not the same thing.
This is all geometry sharp angle can be done but not recomended
Freddy Vandecasteele

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think as most off the rack shirts come with double-line sewn sides then the darts in the back are the simplest and cheapest way of fitting them.

But i am allways surprised when I see new Italian factory-slim shirts that come with darts... I have swiss slim shirts that are cut slimmer and with correct double-sewn sides and no darts...

It is maybe that some just happen to like the darted look ?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Omegablogger
I think, as recent entrants to the world of mens clothing, they simply do not have the well of experience to draw from. Maybe in a hundred years or so they will get the hang of it.

Um, huh? The Italians make shirts just as well as the English...

Jon.

nioh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Um, huh? The Italians make shirts just as well as the English… Jon.
even better..
devil.gif

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
English clothing is sooo 20th century....

Omegablogger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Um, huh? The Italians make shirts just as well as the English...

Jon.

If you like darts
smile.gif

I'm playing devils advocate somewhat but there are English shirtmakers older than Italy itself. I think any argument that states that the "Italians do it that way" is a weak one. I don't think it's coincidence that the Italian way normally equates to the easier and cheaper way, regardless of what stylistic advantages they may hold.

It seems that darts are a quick and easy way for a shirtmaker to produce a slim silhouette, the question remains, is it the best way?

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems that darts are a quick and easy way for a shirtmaker to produce a slim silhouette, the question remains, is it the best way?

If you're over 30 and expect a fine shirt to last more than a few years, I'd say the adjustability makes it preferred over a shirt that is cut so precisely as to not allow an additional 15 pounds.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Omegablogger
If you like darts
smile.gif

I'm playing devils advocate somewhat but there are English shirtmakers older than Italy itself. I think any argument that states that the "Italians do it that way" is a weak one. I don't think it's coincidence that the Italian way normally equates to the easier and cheaper way, regardless of what stylistic advantages they may hold.

As there are cities in Italy that predate any activity in Britian. Why you make this argument I have no idea. Strike one. Next, you state that Italian shirtmakers do it the cheap and easy way, but nowhere in England can you find a dress shirt that is handsewn like you can find in many Italian cities. Strike two. Next?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
As there are cities in Italy that predate any activity in Britian. Why you make this argument I have no idea. Strike one. Next, you state that Italian shirtmakers do it the cheap and easy way, but nowhere in England can you find a dress shirt that is handsewn like you can find in many Italian cities. Strike two.

Next?

Take this crap to the CE forum where it belongs.

Omegablogger

Reaction score
>As there are cities in Italy that predate any activity in Britian.

They say Ethiopia is the birthplace of man, I dare say you have no Ethiopians on your shirtmakers rosta
smile.gif

>Why you make this argument I have no idea.

I'm playing devils advocate somewhat
>Next, you state that Italian shirtmakers do it the cheap and easy way

Easier and cheaper, cheap and easy is China. I suppose I'm suggesting they do things the way the do because they don't know any other way, not necessarily because it's the best way.

>but nowhere in England can you find a dress shirt that is hand sewn like you can find in many Italian cities

I guess your right on that, I think it's a legacy from the Industrial revolution. We no longer have the knowledge being passed from generation to generation. I would guess the mere idea of hand sewing shirts would be viewed as mildly amusing by a Brit.

But I suppose we are getting a little off topic, I don't disagree with you, the Italians make the best shirts.

>Take this crap to the CE forum where it belongs.

This is an adult thread dopey, run along son.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads