• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Darts in shirts

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by horton
I selected about a dozen fabrics, though my initial order will be only 3 so I can check fit and suggest adjustments. All are essentially blue (striped, checked, etc.) except for a white cotton and a white linen. Spread collow, button cuffs. I went for the thinner MOP buttons.

The choice of fabrics was indeed dizzying and all top notch.

I also bought a linen tie and a silk tie.

Nice! Riva or others for the shirts? I also have her linen tie, in an off white herringbone, and some of the sevenfolds. The ladies there are most helpful!

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Omegablogger
I think, as recent entrants to the world of mens clothing, they simply do not have the well of experience to draw from. Maybe in a hundred years or so they will get the hang of it.

So then why do you spend $150 on Marinella ties? Shouldnt you be buying ties from Turnbull & Asser if what you say makes any sense?

horton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by T4phage
Nice! Riva or others for the shirts? I also have her linen tie, in an off white herringbone, and some of the sevenfolds. The ladies there are most helpful!

The linen is a brand that is affiliated with T. Mason though the name escapes me. I know I would remember it I heard it again.

All the cottons seemed to be Riva, Aluma, or T. Mason goldline -- at least the ones I was checking out. Since the price was the same on all of them I just went by look and feel and didn't get caught up in the brands. When I asked about other details about the fabric (e.g., thread count etc.) they essentially assured me not to worry about the durability etc. I think they had the sense that with a decent shirt rotation, the shirt would hold up just fine for a long time.

The ladies were indeed extremely helpful. They also had some friend of the family there (name escapes me) who was extremely helpful as well.

I am probably at best a clothing novice or intermediate (using skiing analogy). They explained everything well (without making me feel like an idiot) to make sure I understood the options.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by horton
The linen is a brand that is affiliated with T. Mason though the name escapes me.

D&J Anderson?

Omegablogger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamesbond
So then why do you spend $150 on Marinella ties?

It spoke to me
smile.gif

I've never claimed to make any sense either.

I have a great amount of respect for the Italian makers, I think they have done a masterful marketing job. I also think they have played to their strengths, the easy availability of skilled hand work labour, I think the tax regime also helps many makers who use outworkers and of course they had to take on Saville Row and wisely decided to do so on their own terms.

If I look at my wardrobe I see mostly Italian items, if fact I have more from China than England. Even though I strongly suspect a large part of the Italian aesthetic is in some way a slightly false one I still wholeheartedly sign up for it.

Bravo!

Back on topic I had some darts put in an ill fitting shirt this weekend, I am now a huge darts fan.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
While I can see this looking fine in a solid colour, what does this look like on a heavily patterned shirt?

Anyone have a pic?

Thanks,

lefty

Interestingly enought sometimes its more evident in a color as you see the fold whereas in a patterened shirt you have to train your eye to get a good look at it.

Here is a shot of a patterened shirt from my second Shirt collection which is Darted.

For the record, when I asked my Italian shirtmaker why the darts instead of the cut sans darts they answered that it was in the tradition of Italian Tailored Shirtmaking. regardless on the most recent collection I asked for the tailored cut sans darts.

DartedShirt.jpg

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies

For the record, when I asked my Italian shirtmaker why the darts instead of the cut sans darts they answered that it was in the tradition of Italian Tailored Shirtmaking. regardless on the most recent collection I asked for the tailored cut sans darts.

The Italians also have a tradition of not matching patterns at the sleeve ends...
crazy.gif

Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads