• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dacks and other Canadian shoe brands

goatamous II

Reaction score
16940151251558137328036516857969.jpg

Are these worth getting?

Bjorling

Reaction score
I think so - classic styling and look in pretty good shape based on the lettering on the liner. Hartt may not be as well known as Dacks (except in this group) but should sell well. I haven't seen "Simpsons" in a long long time!

gorebug

Reaction score
@suitforcourt they may be your size instead of mine

i'll check tomorrow if they're still there
admittedly, as you folks have seen, i'd be getting to flip, not as keepers. not sure if there's value in there
I'd get for personal use... not sure if it'd be a worthwhile flip.

goatamous II

Reaction score
they are from the 50's. A very rare and wonderful pair. i will take them, if you dont want them. Thx
I may have missed the boat
I didn't see them when I went back on Thursday

I'll pop in tomorrow because it's a good excuse to get out of the office
If I see them I'll grab them for you

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

zeromus

Reaction score
I wish i could find good shoes at the thrift stores near me. My MIL finds good quality dresses from time to time, but men's shoes always suck every time I swing through one :/

Such is life.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish i could find good shoes at the thrift stores near me. My MIL finds good quality dresses from time to time, but men's shoes always suck every time I swing through one :/

Such is life.

Patience, luck, and volume are part of thrifting. I find the more often I venture out to more stores, the more likely I will find something.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the last Dacks pairs before they declared bankruptcy. In their dying days, Cheaney manufactured shoes for Dacks, after the latter closed down their Canadian factory.

I bought these at the Dacks store in Toronto during liquidation. Years later, the brand was revived as Matthew Dacks and Cheaney continues to make their footwear.

These were one of my first grown up shoes when I first joined the workforce. Ronald Nijdam , the first Canadian to win the SSIA Silver Cup title, rebuilt these with JR soles and cat paw heels. I'm sure they'll have many more kilometres to walk.

20230922_090447.jpg
20230922_090445.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wingtip Wednesday.

Florsheim by McHale for my outdoor trekking. Made in London Ontario, and rebuilt by a cobbler from London Ontario. Gary Coakley (SSIA Bronze medalist) revived with new welts, JR soles, toe taps, and cat paw heels.

Alberto Suastez then applied his signature museum patina to give them a new look.

Happy Wednesday, shoe friends.

20230927_090031.jpg
20230927_090036.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads