• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Davey13

Reaction score
Well, little update. After speaking with customer service, they are sending me out a half size down, and also allowing me to hold on to the larger ones until the others arrive, so I will be able to compare them on my feet together. I'm really very happy about this.

As far as the wool socks go, yes, I've heard that many guys swear by them but I was under the impression that these were guys with "normal" feet that might not sweat as much as me. But, you guys have convinced me. I'm ordering a pair of the darn tough wool ones right now. I'm not worried much about the cold weather, since my feet always run hot no matter what the weather is, so I'm very curious to see how they do considering you guys say they are good for hot and cold.

I appreciate the help, and the advice. I'll update when I get the other pair and the socks, and make a decision. Again, thanks guys.

Phalanx

Reaction score
Tbf there’s not much in it between 13.5E and 13F so I would call that consistent sizing by the 2 parties... Both are likely to fit you but one might fit you better than the other.

Yoyr tester-pair plan is a sound one. Another alternative would be to keep your eyes peeled on Whitesriver on eBay, the canoe-class sizes (no offense intended, I wish I wore very big / very small shoes) often go very cheaply there: you could grab a pair that’s there or there abouts, to nail down the sizing for a future MTO.

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll definitely keep an eye on eBay for any canoe-class (haha) boots. I hate the feeling of my big toe touching the front of a shoe so that's why I'm hesitant to lean towards a short shoe. But at the same time, can't have my foot sliding around in the boot.

This is often overlooked... most standard lasts (55, 4811 etc.) work for most standard feet, but not all. For example, I have a wide ball and narrow heel... therefore there are some lasts that will never fit me correctly, regardless of the selection of length and width. If it is wide enough for the ball, my heel slides around side to side... if I try to keep the width down by increasing the length (which is never a good idea), my heel slides front to back.

It could be that trying to make a last not compatible with your feet work will be an exercise in futility. In addition to sizing in a particular last, both White's and Bakers can take your tracings and your measurements (I think too many people fail to take careful measurements of the foot... there is more to fitting than just a tracing)... and recommend a good fitting last and then the best size and width in that last.

That is how I found out that the 38 Swing is perfect for me, the 55 is fine, the 4811 is acceptable, and the 461 is marginal... and I can forget about the 690 packer altogether... every foot is different... first get the right last, then get the right size.

It's quite difficult because the last is another variable I need to worry about when it comes to ordering these shoes. I really do want the perfect pair of boots and I feel White's can't realise that for me, but I have all these things to worry about in addition to the last. Hopefully the default bounty hunter / MP last is quite inoffensive; I'd say my feet look like they'd suit the swing last though.

I’m also a 13 1/2 - 14B in brannock. I take a 12 D or C in Whites. Big difference.

I once tried on size 13 smokejumpers and they felt ridiculously huge.

Out of curiosity, what size do you take for Red Wings Iron Ranger (if you have happened to try them). Like I said in my previous post, I'm essentially wanting a pair of Iron Rangers with a wider toe box; a size 13D Iron ranger was perfect in every way for me except the toe box was too narrow.

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe it was stated somewhere previously that with the tongue being a separate piece, it can be replaced if it is damaged. If the tongue is part of the toe/vamp, it means a complete rebuild of the boot to replace that entire piece, which is a much costlier process (for the end-user LOL).

It's leather. It can be cut, and then another piece added to make a two-piece tongue. C'mon man....

Frizzleburger

Reaction score
I’m beginning to think I’m not too picky on fitting and stitching and such. I wear my Whites horsehide Bounty Hunters to work and around town. They offer great comfort and protection against the elements. I measured my feet and sent the specs to Bakers. They sent me boots that needed to break in for a week or two and they are perfect now. I must be really lucky. I really feel for the customers that can’t get that perfect boot in construction and fit just right. I’m not sure if these work boots are for certain people and their expectations. No offense to anyone, but damn.

Imyouricecreamman

Reaction score
I’m beginning to think I’m not too picky on fitting and stitching and such. I wear my Whites horsehide Bounty Hunters to work and around town. They offer great comfort and protection against the elements. I measured my feet and sent the specs to Bakers. They sent me boots that needed to break in for a week or two and they are perfect now. I must be really lucky. I really feel for the customers that can’t get that perfect boot in construction and fit just right. I’m not sure if these work boots are for certain people and their expectations. No offense to anyone, but damn.

Same with me. Ordered loosely based on advice from this thread and the boots fit reasonably well on arrival and they seem to have melted to the shape of my foot during the 10 months I've had them.

I started my journey in boots with an excruciating experience with a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers ten years ago and I guess that made an impact on what I expect as to fit and break in.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, I do think there's a difference between being "picky" about stitching or other sorts of aesthetic flaws and genuine sizing issues. Sure, for most people the sizing works and the boots are great and there is no reason to complain. But if boots don't fit, it's not being picky to wish they did.

winkzy

Reaction score
How long does it usually take for Baker's to respond after mailing in the tracings? Dropped it off recently, so I know its got some time, but just wondering.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Six month old Brit Tan BH’s after their first clean and cream:

4A0FFACB-B241-4B81-82B9-FB3936E07BBD.jpeg

447B549C-3D58-4698-9264-F7288F134C7D.jpeg

And for color comparison, shown next to burgundy Dayton’s purchased at the same time:

23E9DB1B-9F0A-4122-86B9-21C137E5C201.jpeg
001D9961-E5A5-41C3-841F-2503209D4683.jpeg

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Six month old Brit Tan BH’s after their first clean and cream:
They look great... although I have never seen a pair of British TAN that came truly tan and stayed tan... they always seem to darken to something close to "classic brown"... anyone have any luck getting a true tan and keeping it that way, or reversing the darkening?

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Un-oiled and in the light they are closer to tan.

If I’d bought them expecting a light tan I might be disappointed, but I always planned to keep these oiled, shined and more of a rich mid-brown colour.

vintage38

Reaction score
I created a post earlier with this same question, but I think it may be seen by more people here. I recently purchased a pair of Whites Bounty Hunters in HH from Baker. They are a size 10c and they fit perfectly. I am interested in the John Lofgren Devils Causeway engineer boots. I have never tried on a Lofgren boot and am seeking advise on which size I shall go for. Thanks in advance. Pictures of my Whites after about a week of use will be coming shortly.
I have a Pair of the JL Devils Causeway on order. On the advice of the retailer and from others reviews on the Jl engineers I went with a size 10. I was told to use the same size as my Red wing Heritage Boots which are all 10D's. My normal size in sneakers and hiking boots are a 10.5 as a reference.

Frizzleburger

Reaction score
I have a Pair of the JL Devils Causeway on order. On the advice of the retailer and from others reviews on the Jl engineers I went with a size 10. I was told to use the same size as my Red wing Heritage Boots which are all 10D's. My normal size in sneakers and hiking boots are a 10.5 as a reference.
Thank you for the info. I too ordered a 10. My fingers are crossed for a good fit. Delivery time is is getting closer, I can’t wait.

Davey13

Reaction score
Couple more questions for my first pair of whites. MP brown chromexcel.

1. Shoe horn? Never used before but these boots are expensive (for me) so I will get one if needed. Plastic, metal?
2. How is the Whites horse hair brush? Is there a better brush I should get? I'd like one to last so I can use it on my next pair of brown boots too. I assume it will be okay as long as its brown right? Is the Whites brush kit worth it?

Thanks for any suggestions. I'm real excited for these. I am already thinking about a pair of bounty hunters now. I gotta lot of catching up to do, I'm gonna start at the beginning of this 830 page thread lol.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads