• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Americanaaa

Reaction score
Adding a lining makes the boot wider on the outside but not the inside. Your normal size should fit the same. Black cherry water buffalo is really good looking stuff. My favorite. Making a prototype next week with it.
Do you have an up to date list of what leather you currently have in stock at the factory?

I've seen boots made with leather not listed on bakers.

PaintSplattered

Reaction score
These beauties just arrived from Whitesriver:

These are awesome! What leather?

My pair are very similar, with brass eyelets though. They've served me well and taken a beating, yet keep on going and are as comfortable as ever.

Whirling

Reaction score

These are awesome!  What leather?  

My pair are very similar, with brass eyelets though.  They've served me well and taken a beating, yet keep on going and are as comfortable as ever.

Thank you...I actually don't know which leather...it had a couple different descriptions..."black dry tan" and "black bridle" I believe...it might not be a standard for White's...it seems like a fairly dressy black leather...definitely not the routine black oil tan...wish I could be more helpful...

I bid on them impulsively and won, at $197.50 plus about $22 for shipping.

NorthCoast

Reaction score
Glad you like our boots. Good to see people talking about our products.

Can you shed any light on the lack of black thread as an option where the vamp is sewn to the sole.

There are several make-up's I'd like to utilize this on and I was told it was not possible on Semi-Dress.

A blackout pair would be really nice like this.

And speaking of blackout, what is your favorite black leather to keep polished and remain somewhat durable? This pair would only be used for casual wear if that helps.

Thanks!

TH3515

Reaction score
^^ I wondered about the "dry tan" as well - good to see that pair reappear in this forum. The leather looks fantastic. Can you tell if (and how) it's different from the black dress leather?

sambam

Reaction score
We have been cutting some sample leather inventories up. Will be some pretty good stuff showing up that we don't usually build.

sambam

Reaction score

Can you shed any light on the lack of black thread as an option where the vamp is sewn to the sole.

There are several make-up's I'd like to utilize this on and I was told it was not possible on Semi-Dress.

A blackout pair would be really nice like this.

And speaking of blackout, what is your favorite black leather to keep polished and remain somewhat durable?  This pair would only be used for casual wear if that helps.

Thanks!

Black dress is the most durable and keeps a good shine to it. We use black technora thread in our fire boots. Expensive stuff so we don't offer it in our regular boots. With our new line coming out we will carry brown and black sole thread. So it should be available this spring.

Whirling

Reaction score

^^ I wondered about the "dry tan" as well - good to see that pair reappear in this forum. The leather looks fantastic. Can you tell if (and how) it's different from the black dress leather?

We have been cutting some sample leather inventories up. Will be some pretty good stuff showing up that we don't usually build.

Well, whatever the black leather is on these 10.5B Packers from Whitesriver, it's very nice stuff...the boots are fantastic...and I'm not even a western-wear kind of guy...However, I will admit that I also got some 10B Packers off of Whitesriver in some brown leather...I don't think it's brown oil tan, but it might be. I must be between 10 and 10.5 B on the 690 last because both fit me well, though ideal fit it with rather thin socks on the 10B and medium-weight on 10.5B.

I will also say that both of these pairs off of Whitesriver were flawless and showed no signs of even having been tried on for size. I say this in case people worry that they are factory seconds...because clearly they aren't.

The other thing that is odd for me is just how comfortable the Packer 690 last seems to be for my feet...I have rather long-heel-to-ball lengths, low volume, and low insteps, as well as narrow ankles...this last somehow works a little better for me than SJ or SD lasts, which feel higher volume, apart from width, as, of course, they come in different widths...I might be forced to become a cowboy...I did go to summer camp on a "working ranch" as a kid, so it isn't alien to me...

sambam

Reaction score
Our whites river boots are usually boots that weren't built to what the order specified. Like double row stitching when the order called for single. Or celastic toe box was added when it wasn't ordered. If its cosmetic then it will be listed in the description. We don't put worn returns on ebay. They go on our used rack on our sales floor.

sambam

Reaction score
Black dress is just a little lighter weight. Other than that they are really close. We do quite a bit of brown dry tan rough outs for bakers in our hathorn boot line.

NorthCoast

Reaction score
Black dress is the most durable and keeps a good shine to it. We use black technora thread in our fire boots. Expensive stuff so we don't offer it in our regular boots. With our new line coming out we will carry brown and black sole thread. So it should be available this spring.

Thank you very much for your input.

I am pleased to know that soon I will be able to order a pair with black thread.

Very much appreciated.

I can't wait to find out what the new line AND the new leathers are, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

skyfall

Reaction score
Are Dry Tan and Elk Tan the same leather? A local whites dealer said that Elk Tan is the thicker variant of Dress Black/ Brown. It is 3mm or 7/8 oz thick IIRC...

skyfall

Reaction score

Do you have plans to bring in some undyed veg tan leathers from tanneries like hermann oak or wickett & craig to add to your new lines? Thanks

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Auspicious that I get back on SF the same time that sambam and Kyle start posting.

I just got a pair of Hathorn Smoke Jumpers in brown roughout from whitesriver. I have to say, these are some of the most impressive things I have ever seen. And I have seen them all, Edward Green, Wesco, Viberg, Trickers, Crockett Jones, Vass, etc. I've bought and sold a couple of Semi-Dress years ago but never had a signature Smoke Jumper

I even learned a couple of things -

• roughout is literally smooth leather, rough side out. You can see the smooth leather on the inside.
  • Hathorn Smoke Jumper Lace To Toe uses a different pattern than White's LTT. It has 5 eyelets instead of 6. IMO the Hathorn pattern looks better, like halfway between normal toe and LTT.
  • The pair I got use a McKay stitch which is not the top spec but sure as hell looks cool.
  • They fit perfectly, no sizing weirdness like Red Wing or other boots.

I'm thinking of an 8" height next. So many options to consider. I am sold on the Vibram 100F sole though. This thing is monstrous.

sambam

Reaction score

Are Dry Tan and Elk Tan the same leather? A local whites dealer said that Elk Tan is the thicker variant of Dress Black/ Brown. It is 3mm or 7/8 oz thick IIRC...

Dry tan, elk tan and dress are the same leathers. Different tanneries call them different names. Just a matter of leather weight. Dry and elk 6.5 to 7 and dress 5.5 to 6 ounces. .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads