• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

manjoseph

Reaction score
Hi all,

New member to this thread, so please be kind :)

I was recently gifted a pair of White's Semi Dress in black chromexcel. They are a bit narrow though, so does anyone have any experience with a rebuild? I was measured for a 6.5EE but these are a 7D (again, they were a gift).

They fit fine right out of the box, so I wore them for about a week and they still felt great. But then a couple days ago I started to feel how narrow they were.

I wanted to send them over to Spokane because they told me that they can be rebuilt wider. But my question is are they just a little narrow because they need to be broken in more, or is the sizing that specific? And has anyone ever had a rebuild to a different size?

Appreciate any help. Thanks

Whirling

Reaction score

Hi all,

I was recently gifted a pair of White's Semi Dress in black chromexcel. They are a bit narrow though, so does anyone have any experience with a rebuild? I was measured for a 6.5EE but these are a 7D (again, they were a gift).

They fit fine right out of the box, so I wore them for about a week and they still felt great. But then a couple days ago I started to feel how narrow they were.

I wanted to send them over to Spokane because they told me that they can be rebuilt wider. But my question is are they just a little narrow because they need to be broken in more, or is the sizing that specific? And has anyone ever had a rebuild to a different size?

Where are they narrow?

Try wearing them with super thin wool dress socks.

Other than the toe area, they should loosen up some.

Often, boots can be stretched a little by a cobbler, the retailer, or the maker, without needing a full rebuild.

Americanaaa

Reaction score

We can do a 3-tone boot - shoot us an email with your build and we'll make it happen! Thanks - Kyle @ Baker's 
I guess this lays to rest the misnomer that baker doesnt do more than two tones? I've read around the web that you couldn't do more than two when ordering white's boots in the usa.

manjoseph

Reaction score
Thanks for the help I'll try the socks thing. They are narrow on the outside part of my ankle (the metatarsal?) and under the knuckles of my big toe and small toe. Again I've only worn them like 10 times so I'm hoping it's just a break-in issue. Otherwise I might just eBay them.

manjoseph

Reaction score
Where are they narrow?

Try wearing them with super thin wool dress socks.

Other than the toe area, they should loosen up some.

Often, boots can be stretched a little by a cobbler, the retailer, or the maker, without needing a full rebuild.

Thanks for the help I'll try the socks thing. They are narrow on the outside part of my ankle (the metatarsal?) and under the knuckles of my big toe and small toe. Again I've only worn them like 10 times so I'm hoping it's just a break-in issue. Otherwise I might just eBay them.

SoyBoy2

Reaction score
When I got my Whites engineer boots I could hardly even get them on with the thinnest of socks. I put up and shut up a couple hours at a time for the first 20 times. They were even harder to get off, to this day still are tough to get off. After 4 months I can now wear them all day long with a thicker dress sock (still fairly thin - that is about as thick a sock that I typically like wearing with all my boots). I have an issue with the knuckle of my big toe on all my shoes/boots. I bought a shoe tree that has a moveable bunion/corn knobs from Woodlore - it did the trick on those pressure points.

manjoseph

Reaction score
When I got my Whites engineer boots I could hardly even get them on with the thinnest of socks. I put up and shut up a couple hours at a time for the first 20 times. They were even harder to get off, to this day still are tough to get off. After 4 months I can now wear them all day long with a thicker dress sock (still fairly thin - that is about as thick a sock that I typically like wearing with all my boots). I have an issue with the knuckle of my big toe on all my shoes/boots. I bought a shoe tree that has a moveable bunion/corn knobs from Woodlore - it did the trick on those pressure points.
Thanks for the help there. Sounds like I just need to break them in. I was mainly worried about the sizing, since that's not what was recommended to me. But they fit great right out of the box, so hopefully after a couple more weeks they'll just mold to my foot.

sambam

Reaction score
Kyle does a great job at keeping the factory busy. Probably easier to order through his build a boot web site. I will try to get to as many questions as possible. Like the response.

NorthCoast

Reaction score
Kyle does a great job at keeping the factory busy. Probably easier to order through his build a boot web site. I will try to get to as many questions as possible. Like the response.

Really glad to see you here and I love your product as you can see from my profile picture.

Thanks for chiming in, it's great to see White's and Kyle participating in this thread.

I swear, Kyle must be one of the most patient guys in the world, I know I tested his patience.

trvlr472

Reaction score

If you've only worn them 10 times they aren't broken in yet. They will stretch. It took me months to break in the CWB's I bought. I forget the number but there is a certain amount of hours you have to spend in them walking around before they are broken in. I drive for a living hence the very long break in I had to deal with plus those CWB's are made with the brown oil tan and I had them lined. It was like being a victim of the Spanish Inquisition for quite a while. My rough out SJ's broke in within a couple of months and the last pair I bought only took a month or so. The leather they are made out of makes a difference.

All three pairs I have developed tight spots here and there as they broke in. They would get tight here then that tight spot would go away and they were tight somewhere else. The arch changed the way it felt from time to time as well. I will say the last pair i bought with the CXL upper, unlined and the black oil finish lower broke in almost immediately.

Last edited:

sambam

Reaction score

Hi all,

A 6.5 E is the same width as a 7D. So looks like you're a half size small. We should be able to rebuild and reuse all possible parts to save a little money. Since its chromexcel I would give it some time. It should stretch.

sambam

Reaction score

Really glad to see you here and I love your product as you can see from my profile picture.

Thanks for chiming in, it's great to see White's and Kyle participating in this thread.

I swear, Kyle must be one of the most patient guys in the world, I know I tested his patience.

sambam

Reaction score

Glad you like our boots. Good to see people talking about our products.

sambam

Reaction score

Hi,

Looking for feedback regarding adding a lining and size.  Right now I have an 8.5d pair of Semi-dress in dress brown that fit pretty great but am thinking about a second pair.  Any thoughts on if adding a lining maybe push me into a wider size?  I was thinking of water buffalo for the leather.

Thank you much!

Charles

Adding a lining makes the boot wider on the outside but not the inside. Your normal size should fit the same. Black cherry water buffalo is really good looking stuff. My favorite. Making a prototype next week with it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads