• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sambam

Reaction score

Auspicious that I get back on SF the same time that sambam and Kyle start posting.

I just got a pair of Hathorn Smoke Jumpers in brown roughout from whitesriver. I have to say, these are some of the most impressive things I have ever seen. And I have seen them all, Edward Green, Wesco, Viberg, Trickers, Crockett Jones, Vass, etc. I've bought and sold a couple of Semi-Dress years ago but never had a signature Smoke Jumper

I even learned a couple of things -

• roughout is literally smooth leather, rough side out. You can see the smooth leather on the inside.
  • Hathorn Smoke Jumper Lace To Toe uses a different pattern than White's LTT. It has 5 eyelets instead of 6. IMO the Hathorn pattern looks better, like halfway between normal toe and LTT.
  • The pair I got use a McKay stitch which is not the top spec but sure as hell looks cool.
  • They fit perfectly, no sizing weirdness like Red Wing or other boots.

I'm thinking of an 8" height next. So many options to consider. I am sold on the Vibram 100F sole though. This thing is monstrous.

Glad you like the Hathorns. Great boot for the price. Same patterns and built on our 55 SD last is why it might seem different. .

chicken1616

Reaction score
The 100 sole is not the best all around sole. It is useful in actual work boots used for heavy work. The sole provides protection and wears a lot longer(it is about twice as thick as other soles). It is slippery when wet or icy, and very heavy. It can also give you a tippy feeling. It collects a lot of mud and snow. The 430 sole is probably the best all around sole. I really like the 269 sole in light snow and ice, in particular. The 700 sole is okay. I just had a pair of my Smoke's with a steel toe/metatarsal sent by Drew's/Baker's to White's for a bottom rebuild. Since I am not doing heavy work anymore, and the bottom ends were trashed,they now have a plain SJ toe and 269 sole.The worst sole by White's was the mini commando half sole. I hated it so much, my Traveler's are now at Drew's/Baker's getting a 269.
I have two pairs of straight Smokes, 8 inch, one pair brown, one pair black for "casual" use.
I rotate 8" black Nick's 55's with a 100, and 8" brown Hathorn work Packers with a 430, for work.
I also have the Traveler's above in Distressed.
A pair of SD's in black Chromexcel, with a leather sole.
A pair of 8*' Smokes in #38 Swing, Red Dog, with a silicone Red Dog tongue, 1/4" dropped heel, lined, with a 700.
Two pair Hathorn Ranchers, one in brown Bison with a 269, one in brown Chromexcel with a 430.
One pair Hathorn Cowboys in Red Dog Bullhide with a 700.
One pair White's 690 Packers, 8", brown with a 700.
One pair 10" Drew's (by White's) Buckaroo Packers in Red Dog/Black, Rawhide Counter with a 700.
One pair Hathorn Electrical Hazard 8" metatarsal/steel toe black with a 100. These are going to get a bottom rebuild.
One pair 695 Packers, Peanut Brittle Bullhide/Water Buffalo 8" lined, with a leather sole.
One Pair unused Hathorn Electrical Hazard 8" black with 100.
The point to all of this is that I have some experience with different soles.

Last edited:

sambam

Reaction score
We reworked the mini half lug. Its now made of tpu rubber. Basically car tire rubber. We have guys who have worn them six months straight in the shop with no sign of wear. Wouldn't say it has the best traction but really tough stuff. Our lip knives can hardly cut it.

mr. burns

Reaction score
For my work the 700 sole seemed to be the best option. I work on smooth concrete floors all day in a warehouse environment and do a lot of walking throughout the day. I needed something very durable but also with some slip resistance and they've held up well for almost a year.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Natural CXL semi-dress boots with a block heel. Now some 5 (?) years old. Dramatic lighting during a walk in the woods.

offrd63fj40

Reaction score
The 100 sole is not the best all around sole. It is useful in actual work boots used for heavy work. The sole provides protection and wears a lot longer(it is about twice as thick as other soles). It is slippery when wet or icy, and very heavy. It can also give you a tippy feeling. It collects a lot of mud and snow. The 430 sole is probably the best all around sole. I really like the 269 sole in light snow and ice, in particular. The 700 sole is okay. I just had a pair of my Smoke's with a steel toe/metatarsal sent by Drew's/Baker's to White's for a bottom rebuild. Since I am not doing heavy work anymore, and the bottom ends were trashed,they now have a plain SJ toe and 269 sole.The worst sole by White's was the mini commando half sole. I hated it so much, my Traveler's are now at Drew's/Baker's getting a 269.
I have two pairs of straight Smokes, 8 inch, one pair brown, one pair black for "casual" use.
I rotate 8" black Nick's 55's with a 100, and 8" brown Hathorn work Packers with a 430, for work.
I also have the Traveler's above in Distressed.
A pair of SD's in black Chromexcel, with a leather sole.
A pair of 8*' Smokes in #38 Swing, Red Dog, with a silicone Red Dog tongue, 1/4" dropped heel, lined, with a 700.
Two pair Hathorn Ranchers, one in brown Bison with a 269, one in brown Chromexcel with a 430.
One pair Hathorn Cowboys in Red Dog Bullhide with a 700.
One pair White's 690 Packers, 8", brown with a 700.
One pair 10" Drew's (by White's) Buckaroo Packers in Red Dog/Black, Rawhide Counter with a 700.
One pair Hathorn Electrical Hazard 8" metatarsal/steel toe black with a 100. These are going to get a bottom rebuild.
One pair 695 Packers, Peanut Brittle Bullhide/Water Buffalo 8" lined, with a leather sole.
One Pair unused Hathorn Electrical Hazard 8" black with 100.
The point to all of this is that I have some experience with different soles.

I,m wondering how well the honey vibram version of the 100 holds up? I see you have not tried it. Any reason why?

Americanaaa

Reaction score
Nat cxl darkens wonderfully.

Does baker do heel work on custom boots you order through them?

I just ordered a pair of custom wesco boss boots.

Btw is there a wesco thread here?

sambam

Reaction score

I,m wondering how well the honey vibram version of the 100  holds up? I see you have not tried it. Any reason why?

The black 100 will wear longer. Made up of a special blend of rubber just for Whites. A brown 306 with a honey vib 100 is a great looking boot though. On my next boot I want to build list.

spurs61

Reaction score
Nice pics from linafelt @ meso!

As to soles, as I've posted before, I'm not a fan of the 269. I have SDs with the 269 and the threads in the sole began to come apart almost from day one. It leaves strings of rubber hanging from the sole, which is perhaps more a cosmetic flaw than a functional one. But it doesn't portend well for the life of the sole. I like the 430 and 700 for over all functionality and wear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads