• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Royteane

Reaction score
Today i tried to put my adidas trainer insole in my Sd and change from mid weight socks to thin Nike running socks. Feel ok but a bit tight ...2 hrs late, i got foot pain so i gave up for it. Other boots with insole may be better option. This combination is my thinest insole and thinest socks.

Neognosis

Reaction score
I completely understand wanting White's boots for their durability and style.

However, if you have to try all different kinds of socks and insoles to make them comfortable, I suggest trying other brands. There must be a durable and ethically made boot that is a better fit as far as comfort goes.

For instance, I simply cannot wear red wings. I've had a few pairs, and sold all of them except one, which I never wear. Same with Chippewah. They simply won't agree with my foot, even though I desperately love their style. Which, actually, is how I came to be a White's fan.

There must be a durable boot made with a significant padded insole that would be very comfortable and warm, I would think, that also has the appeal of white's, no?

Last edited:

TH3515

Reaction score
Just received my bounty hunter 4.5 weeks from ordered!
Brown Dress, SD #55 last, single leather midsole, lowered block heel, Vibram 430 outsole, close trim.

Congrats – those are beautiful! Block heel and close trim are working really well on this pair. Makes me want to copy your build immediately;-)

Whirling

Reaction score

I completely understand wanting White's boots for their durability and style.

However, if you have to try all different kinds of socks and insoles to make them comfortable, I suggest trying other brands. There must be a durable and ethically made boot that is a better fit as far as comfort goes.

For instance, I simply cannot wear red wings. I've had a few pairs, and sold all of them except one, which I never wear. Same with Chippewah. They simply won't agree with my foot, even though I desperately love their style. Which, actually, is how I came to be a White's fan. 

There must be a durable boot made with a significant padded insole that would be very comfortable and warm, I would think, that also has the appeal of white's, no?

Viberg's work boots are same price as White's. The "nailed construction" boots come with rubber inserts by default and are generally quite roomy at any given width. They have a little less aggressive arches than White's. They are very heavy and solid, which can be a good or bad thing.

You get them direct from Viberg via their second website http://www.workboot.com, but I always order over the phone.

Notes:
1. They do MTO, which has taken about two months when I have done it.
2. Prices are in Canadian dollars. $50 CAD will be added for shipping to USA.
3. The nailed construction boots are very roomy, so consider going down to the next available width. Widths available are AA, B, D, E, EE, and EEEE (pretty sure about the widths).
4. You can specify Vibram 100, 700, or 430 soles.
5. You can have steel toes replaced with standard structures toes.
6. You can get them in black smooth or rough out, mocha, or red dog...all heavy oil tan. You can also get black water buffalo.
7. They won't do customizations to their work boots to make them like their fashion/service boots.
8. As always, you need to figure out sizing and they can help, but I don't think they would necesarily take back custom boots that didn't fit. I take the same size as my White's.
9. Quality is phenomenal.
10. I highly recommend the Viberg Foreman 55 model with the fairly unique nailed construction, which means many, many brass nails are holding everything together (along with glue, as in nearly all boots). Outsoles are Rapid-stitched, glued, and nailed to midsoles.

P.S. I am not trying to hijack the White's thread, but they fit the description of a solid boot made to accommodate inserts. Also, few people are aware of Viberg's work boots or that they are priced competitively with White's, Nick's, and Wesco.

Last edited:

Americanaaa

Reaction score
I also have a question. how does burgundy french calf and burgundy chromexcel compare? is CXL slightly darker? and do they both have a similar amount of saturation and how much do they contrast?

Last edited:

Ian Copeland

Reaction score
Hey folks. Been a purveyor of this thread for a couple years now, and gleaned a bunch of useful information. My question: I have a pair of SDs with the standard plastic toe box. I love the shoes and have had them for two years, but I have a nagging suspicion that my toes would like just a bit more breathing room, particularly on the instep side. If in a few years I send them off to White's for a rebuild/resuscitation, would they be able to remove the toe box, essentially converting my boots to "soft toe," while keeping all of (or most of) the original materials intact? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

ThatDudeOrion

Reaction score
I know that Brian the Bootmaker removes a lot of steel and celastic toe reinforcements as part of his resoles, this includes from White's boots as well as other makers, so I know that what you're asking can be done, and I assume that White's can do it, but I can't say definitively without firsthand experience.

Additionally, another thing I know they can do is rebuild on a slightly different sized last than the original build. I forget what the acceptable range is, but lets say it's maybe 1 width and 0.5 length in either direction. So you may have some options with that approach as well, if you wanted to lets say keep the celastic AND gain some room in the toe, just a thought.

Kissmyanthia

Reaction score
Hey folks. Been a purveyor of this thread for a couple years now, and gleaned a bunch of useful information. My question: I have a pair of SDs with the standard plastic toe box. I love the shoes and have had them for two years, but I have a nagging suspicion that my toes would like just a bit more breathing room, particularly on the instep side. If in a few years I send them off to White's for a rebuild/resuscitation, would they be able to remove the toe box, essentially converting my boots to "soft toe," while keeping all of (or most of) the original materials intact? Thanks in advance.

I had this done, they have to rebuild the boot - new toe leather and new sole. All else remains the same, cost about $225.

johnwesley

Reaction score
Can anyone ID these? I got them a few years back from Little Joe's boots. Don't wear them much, so I'm considering getting rid of them. I like a taller boot something closer to 8"

10.5d

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads