• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicken1616

Reaction score
I'm wondering about your opinion of the Hathorn Travelers. The arch support in those boots is not the same as in a White's semi dress boot -- it is lower, from what I can discern. What is your feeling from wearing them? Do you feel the arch support is adequate? Do you feel that a person who liked the arch support in a White's semi dress would be unhappy with the Hathorn Traveler? I ask because I am thinking of ordering a pair through the mail. Thanks.
I feel the arch support in the Traveler is essentially the same as the SD. It MAY be a tad lower, but at the end of the day, my arches feel the same .The Traveler is on the 461 or Hi-Line last. The #38 Swing Last boots I have, do NOT have the same arch support(possibly also because of the lowered heel) and I feel a slight twinge at the end of the day in my Plantar Fasciitis foot.

Last edited:

chicken1616

Reaction score

Good question. These boots supposedly use the "Cowboy" last. I am going to go out on a huge limb here, and say you probably should order your SD size. I actually feel the Cowboys have slightly MORE toe room, but it may be just the ones I have and their leather. Seeing as you can order these from Drew's boots, which is a subsidiary of Baker's, it would probably be best to talk to Kyle about this. Weirdly, I feel not only the Cowboys have more toe room than the SD and SJ, but also my packers. It may be "just my imagination"(cue song). They all have the packer work type toe.

spurs61

Reaction score
Good question. These boots supposedly use the "Cowboy" last. I am going to go out on a huge limb here, and say you probably should order your SD size. I actually feel the Cowboys have slightly MORE toe room, but it may be just the ones I have and their leather. Seeing as you can order these from Drew's boots, which is a subsidiary of Baker's, it would probably be best to talk to Kyle about this. Weirdly, I feel not only the Cowboys have more toe room than the SD and SJ, but also my packers. It may be "just my imagination"(cue song). They all have the packer work type toe.

chicken1616

Reaction score
At an average of three days a week, it looks as if the Vibram 100(fire resistant) soles on my pairs of work boots are tracking at about a year for resole.

spurs61

Reaction score
It's gone VERY quiet around here recently ... chicken1616, you must be wearing the heck out of the soles if you're going to have to replace them after a year. I don't have the Vibram 100 sole on any of my boots, but it looks like they're beastly. My oldest pair of SDs have the Vibram 700 and show only mild wear after a year (a few days a week). I'm on my feet a lot but not on rough surfaces.

mogili222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been wearing my BHs in brown smooth 3-4 times a week for a little over a month and I have got more compliments from people on these boots than I have ever gotten on any other pair. Honestly I never expected that kind of attention as my build is very conservative and not flashy at all..

Last edited:

gfloridafan93

Reaction score

I have been wearing my BHs in brown smooth 3-4 times a week for a little over a month and I have got more compliments from people on these boots than I have ever gotten on any other pair. Honestly I never expected that kind of attention as my build is very conservative and not flashy at all..

Pictures? Curious to see how they're holding up.

Royteane

Reaction score
I prefer a little bit shinier from brown smooth and tried many brand of wax/cream but unsuccessful.

NorthCoast

Reaction score
I've been lurking around here for a couple months.

I just put in my order, now I wait. Originally I wanted a two tone bull hide brown uppers with lighter tan lowers similar to the very first image on this thread.

It ended up that I just could not resist the color of the Black Cherry Water Buffalo combined with the Burgundy Chrome Excel by Horween and the fancy toe, natural bottom like another member here has. Just beautiful. I did try to get black stitching but White's wont do that.

I feel like this forum needs a whites boot care thread. I'm not going to put these thorough heavy use and would like to retain the color and finish so I'm not sure that I want to oil them up. Which direction should I go in WRT care?

offrd63fj40

Reaction score
Huberds will make all but black darker. That's the problem with all the grease and oils. I used Huberds for years, and more recently I switched to Obenauf's LP, and or oil. They work great, but they darken the leather. I've got a pair of 25 yr old brown smooth SJ's that just look black from all the oil over the years. I also have some old shoes that are almost that old that never got anything but polish. They are not all dried up,and it's got me thinking what's the point. I just bought a pair of smooth distressed BH's and I don't want them to turn dark brown. I'm now thinking that less is more. I'm going to clean them, and maybe use a little Bick 4. That's it. If they ever get to the point that I feel they are going dry up and crack, then I'll get out the oil and fix them up. I just don't think they need all the conditioning that we like to give them. Well, I'm now back to lurk mode.

chicken1616

Reaction score
My work boots absolutely need Obenaufs. On non work boots, the Blackrock Leather-N-Rich someone recommended on here is really nice. Gives them a little shine and goes on easily.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads