• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

spurs61

Reaction score
Check out this interview with White's Boots' customer service manager - http://www.hotshotfitness.com/whitesfirefightingboots.html. He talks sensibly about boot maintenance, IMHO. He warns against over-oiling boots, but then says "There's a happy medium that you need to realize. When you notice your boots getting dry, clean'em, put some oil on, but you don't want to put too much oil on because then you can start doing some damage to the boot."

Then, when asked for a rule of thumb about oiling, he says "t depends on the environment that you're in, and what you're doing with them. We'd love to be able to tell you that you should do it every two days, or two weeks, but there's just no way of telling from person to person. The clerks that work in our store, they can go a month without oiling their boots, not a problem. Because they're not exposing their boots to harsh conditions. But when you're on the fireline, you're exposing your boots to all kinds of chemicals. The chemicals that they put in fire marsupialant eats up the boot really good, so firefighters have to clean and oil their boots alot more. Use common sense, that's the best advice I can give you." He recommends Obenauf's made products and Pecards.

Bottom line, some cleaning and oiling is necessary. How much depends on the environment you work in and what you do with them - it's an individual thing. Use your common sense.

This winter, after contending recently with a lot of snow, ice, salt, etc., I'm glad I've used Obenauf HDLP on the boots that I'm out shoveling in, walking in the snow in, etc. Those boots which I don't wear as much in yucky conditions, I don't treat nearly as often and tend to use something like Obenauf oil or Venetian Shoe Creme (maybe every few months). But YMMV.

westie187

Reaction score
Oh no.... Is Louie back?!?!

NorthCoast

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

That interview was helpful. I'm going to be doing light duty with these and keeping them out of the snow. I have used Pecards on my sons Blundstone's and some pull on cowboy style work boots I own and I used to pour the oil on my Redwings when I worked outside.

I do have some Saphir Renovateur and was considering just using that on these Whites. I'd prefer not to darken the color much so that may be the way I go.

Neognosis

Reaction score
Quote:

I have been saying that for as long as I've been visiting this forum. Less is absolutely more.

You have to really think about your motivation. Are you HONESTLY trying to take the best care of your boots, or are you playing with your new toys?

The overwhelmingly vast majority of the nice folks posting about their boots on this forum are just playing. And there's not necessarily anything wrong with that, they are your boots, after all. But personally, I have boots that are a decade old that have seen hard use as daily motorcycle boots that I treated once a year, IF I even remembered. Three resolings, and they are still in service.

So, do you think that the boots you wear walking from the train to your office in the rain a few times a month really need weekly or even monthly treatments with that junk?

gfloridafan93

Reaction score

I have been saying that for as long as I've been visiting this forum. Less is absolutely more.

You have to really think about your motivation. Are you HONESTLY trying to take the best care of your boots, or are you playing with your new toys?

The overwhelmingly vast majority of the nice folks posting about their boots on this forum are just playing. And there's not necessarily anything wrong with that, they are your boots, after all. But personally, I have boots that are a decade old that have seen hard use as daily motorcycle boots that I treated once a year, IF I even remembered. Three resolings, and they are still in service.

So, do you think that the boots you wear walking from the train to your office in the rain a few times a month really need weekly or even monthly treatments with that junk?

I couldn't agree more.

Warpiper

Reaction score
I've used Montana pitch blend to protect boots and I really like it. It doesn't seem to darken the leather. I used obenhauf's on my iron rangers and it turned the brown leather almost black and has never lightened up. I love all Saphir products. I use the renovateur on my White's. I brush them, wipe with a damp paper towel, appy a thin coat of renovateur, let it dry and then hit it with a brush. I'm using it to help clean the leather and even out scuffs that I get at work. For more serious cleaning, I use saddle soap first.

spurs61

Reaction score
Wow, nothing like boot care and a Louie scare to get the juices flowing around here ...

Now, for your viewing pleasure, my brown dress SDs just a few months old. I absolutely love the brown dress leather.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ yeah, those dress browns look nice, for sure.

As far as treatment, I second the less-is-more approach, for those of us not fighting fires or walking through mud most days. I think it takes a LOT for boot leather to get dried out, unless it repeatedly gets soaked and then left to dry. Unless you really muck them up, I say once or twice a year. And Venetian Shoe Cream is a nice lighter treatment that will hydrate without darkening like Obenaufs.

Last edited:

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh by the way, in other news, for those of you who have tried to find insoles that work with White's you may have noticed that it's not easy. The arch ease makes most orthotic style insoles just too uncomfortable. But i found a pair that works really well: Timberland Pro. And at $17.99 they are a bargain.

I have very high arches and flexible feet (so I finally discovered from a foot doctor a year or two ago) and have always had to wear substantial insoles for support in all my boots (even Indy boots, which many tout for their support). When I got my Bounty Hunters I thought finally here was a boot I could wear without them, since it had so much built in arch support. And probably I could, but as it happens the boots were a bit too big so I needed the insoles to fill them out. For a while I used the yellow superfeet recommended by Whites (which are really designed for hockey skates -- Brooks Orpik gave me his before he left Pittsburgh, alas). Those worked fine but were a little off. I finally got these cheap Timberlands, and for whatever reason they fit really well with the arch-ease. Just in case anyone needs insoles...

mogili222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the cut on the leather near the sole acceptable for a new pair of boots. A friend of mine bought these from Whites directly and when he saw the cut, he sent them the pair back to be remade as it is clearly a cut in the leather.

They got back to him with the below explanation.

"Each hand sewn boot starts with a first stitch which is made with the awl tool and is some times more visible that any other stitches. We will try to rub / flatten the stitch to make it less visible."

Last edited:

chicken1616

Reaction score
My work boots get cleaned and Obenauf'd about every 6 days of wear(alternating two pairs). I can't imagine doing my non work boots anymore than about every 6-8 months. When I get done washing my work boots in the kitchen sink, there is about a 1/4" of sludge in the bottom.

offrd63fj40

Reaction score
Oh by the way, in other news, for those of you who have tried to find insoles that work with White's you may have noticed that it's not easy. The arch ease makes most orthotic style insoles just too uncomfortable. But i found a pair that works really well: Timberland Pro. And at $17.99 they are a bargain.

I have very high arches and flexible feet (so I finally discovered from a foot doctor a year or two ago) and have always had to wear substantial insoles for support in all my boots (even Indy boots, which many tout for their support). When I got my Bounty Hunters I thought finally here was a boot I could wear without them, since it had so much built in arch support. And probably I could, but as it happens the boots were a bit too big so I needed the insoles to fill them out. For a while I used the yellow superfeet recommended by Whites (which are really designed for hockey skates -- Brooks Orpik gave me his before he left Pittsburgh, alas). Those worked fine but were a little off. I finally got these cheap Timberlands, and for whatever reason they fit really well with the arch-ease. Just in case anyone needs insoles...

How thick are those timberland insoles?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members