• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

climbinglife

Reaction score
i ended up not doing that fold, and just allowing the tongue to fold back naturally...what i did was go very easy over the first hook and not pull to tight, that alleviated the bite i was having.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I don't mind breaking boots in, but I am also willing to give it some help if it can alleviate the pain. It's not a question of blisters, that hard fourfold layer of leather (outer leather, lining, two layers of tongue) is hitting right on my inner ankle bone and feels like it's almost bruising the bone or something. Actually, it feels like it is developing a bone spur or something... We'll see..

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wound up biting the bullet on a pseudo-boondocker - after looking at my issues, I decided the Swing last probably wouldn't solve my dilemma and went with a pair in 13F. That was what Kyle recommended when I sent him measurements, so I'm going to trust that.

Distressed Roughout, cap toe, antique eyes and hooks. Should be the perfect fall and winter work shoe for me.

I wish I didn't have to wait six weeks, part of me wants to order a pair of British Tans now...

jrosenthal

Reaction score

Wound up biting the bullet on a pseudo-boondocker - after looking at my issues, I decided the Swing last probably wouldn't solve my dilemma and went with a pair in 13F. That was what Kyle recommended when I sent him measurements, so I'm going to trust that.

Distressed Roughout, cap toe, antique eyes and hooks. Should be the perfect fall and winter work shoe for me.

I wish I didn't have to wait six weeks, part of me wants to order a pair of British Tans now...

Glad Kyle was able lend insight on solving your issue, he worked plenty with me resolving fit, leather choice and style was my last (oh my a pun) concern. I placed my order 2 weeks ago and he said they were shipping very fast lately, someone here just the other day mentioned a 4 week order to delivery timeline....fingers crossed.

I too want the British tan as my next boot (got black in the way). Want it configured exactly like this one but on the swing or 154 last:

James

jrosenthal

Reaction score
Now on a slightly off White's but related to white's fit, can anyone here speak to the differences in fit between the Wesco Jobmaster and the White's semi-dress, swing or 154 last? Wesco has redone their JH oxford build a boot page to offer a full line of custom options. I assume the JH oxford is on the jobmaster last and Josh at Baker's thought the same but didn't have any jobmasters to confirm. He said that the Wesco's tend to be far more generous in the toe box than the White's Smoke jumpers and even the semi-dress last, but probably not as gracious as the swing last. I want this shoe so badly but would have to custom order and Wesco doesn't do take backs on custom boots.

Anyone, anyone....
James

gregornz

Reaction score
Just got my shipping notice from Bakers! From July 15 to today is a touch more than five weeks... Looks like things are getting busier again!

trvlr472

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I don't mind breaking boots in, but I am also willing to give it some help if it can alleviate the pain. It's not a question of blisters, that hard fourfold layer of leather (outer leather, lining, two layers of tongue) is hitting right on my inner ankle bone and feels like it's almost bruising the bone or something. Actually, it feels like it is developing a bone spur or something... We'll see..

Pretty much sounds like what I experienced for 3 months with my CWB's. It has pretty much all gone away but they are still a little stiff for the first 15 or 20 minutes when I put them on. It was the outer ankle on the left boot for me.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Now on a slightly off White's but related to white's fit, can anyone here speak to the differences in fit between the Wesco Jobmaster and the White's semi-dress, swing or 154 last? Wesco has redone their JH oxford build a boot page to offer a full line of custom options. I assume the JH oxford is on the jobmaster last and Josh at Baker's thought the same but didn't have any jobmasters to confirm. He said that the Wesco's tend to be far more generous in the toe box than the White's Smoke jumpers and even the semi-dress last, but probably not as gracious as the swing last. I want this shoe so badly but would have to custom order and Wesco doesn't do take backs on custom boots.

Anyone, anyone....
James

Afraid I don't know the answer to your question, but man I really like these work shoes!

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, put my Bounty Hunters back on today after not wearing for over a week, and once again had serious ankle rubbing on one foot, right where the bellows tongue folds back. I know based on past experience that I will get used to it over a couple of days, but am kind of tired of it every time I put them back on.

So I am wondering about the possibility of taking them to a local cobbler to see if he can cut back the bellows tongue at that point. Basically turn it from a fully attached tongue to a semi-attached like the SDs. Pretty sure that would solve the problem, and I am not standing around in water or mud all day, so I am not worried about losing the protection that comes with the full bellows.

Anyone ever try anything like this? Any thoughts?
I had exactly the same issue - I placed some conditioner on the inside of the boot where it hurt, and it was only a few wears before it took the shape of my bones. The sore spot will take some time to feel normal, but a few weeks should be fine of occasional wearing should do the trick. Just massage more conditioner after each wear as it takes your foots shape. Ive never felt the pain again.

LouieBailie

Reaction score
So, put my Bounty Hunters back on today after not wearing for over a week, and once again had serious ankle rubbing on one foot, right where the bellows tongue folds back. I know based on past experience that I will get used to it over a couple of days, but am kind of tired of it every time I put them back on.

So I am wondering about the possibility of taking them to a local cobbler to see if he can cut back the bellows tongue at that point. Basically turn it from a fully attached tongue to a semi-attached like the SDs. Pretty sure that would solve the problem, and I am not standing around in water or mud all day, so I am not worried about losing the protection that comes with the full bellows.

Anyone ever try anything like this? Any thoughts?
Send them into White's and ask them to stretch the tongues out. I fold the tongues evenly back on both sides and pretreat the tongue leather the same.

trvlr472

Reaction score
I had exactly the same issue - I placed some conditioner on the inside of the boot where it hurt, and it was only a few wears before it took the shape of my bones. The sore spot will take some time to feel normal, but a few weeks should be fine of occasional wearing should do the trick. Just massage more conditioner after each wear as it takes your foots shape. Ive never felt the pain again.

I forget the exact name of the company but it's something like Linefelts or what ever back east. He recommends greasing/oiling/conditioning his boots while they are being broken in. I did it to mine and it seemed to help quite a bit but then so many on this forum said too much of a good thing will ruin the boots so I quit doing it. My CWB's have had 3 LP treatments and a few oilings since they were new and they are about 6 months old. I did it to mine because when they were brand new they were getting thoroughly soaked and frozen during the break in and I know that dries out the leather pretty quick.

sleepy94

Reaction score

Anyone, anyone....
James

I bought a pair of 8 E lace to toe JH classics figuring it would be close to the standard 8D white's i normally wear, but not the case. The width is the same but the length feels a little short. I think an 8.5 D would fit perfectly and if i end up going for another pair that is what i will do. One thing to note is that they come with wesco insoles so you can remove them and get a little extra room if needed, or try a slimmer or thicker insole.

jrosenthal

Reaction score

I bought a pair of 8 E lace to toe JH classics figuring it would be close to the standard 8D white's i normally wear, but not the case. The width is the same but the length feels a little short. I think an 8.5 D would fit perfectly and if i end up going for another pair that is what i will do. One thing to note is that they come with wesco insoles so you can remove them and get a little extra room if needed, or try a slimmer or thicker insole.

Interesting. I called Wesco on Friday and spoke to a very nice guy names Ray who does their in store fittings. We talked for about a 1/2 hour and he was very helpful. He said the JH and jobmaster are on different lasts but only based in how the foot fits in the shoe/boot with a lower heel. He said that when you drop the heel it elongates the foot slightly, which makes perfect sense from what you are describing. He said it would be best of course to send them my measurements and build specifically for my foot, and pay the $100 custom fit fee, which is only a one time fee, but hurts on top of your first $400 pair of boots.

I too want the JH in lace to toe. How generous is the toe box compared to your white's? Which last is your White's on?

James

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads