• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom suit in Southern California under $1000

squelchy451

Reaction score
Anyone know if there's a tailor that would be able to do a very basic navy suit for under $1000?

The Dirty Pigeon

Reaction score
If by custom you mean something that is made to your measurements and with a choice of details and fabrics, I second Suitsupply or maybe Indochino. If you're near Newport Beach, you can find both practically next door to each other and take a look. If you want something more custom than that, I don't know where you would find it under $1000.

Screen Shot 2023-03-07 at 8.57.31 PM.png

Last edited:

gimpwiz

Reaction score
Depends on your definition of custom. OP, are you trying to solve a problem? "Interesting" body shape and nothing off the rack fits?

squelchy451

Reaction score
There isn't a specific problem I'm looking to solve (weird body type, whatever fancy features off-the-rack suits just don't have), just wanted a well-fitted suit and wanted to see what my best option is if my budget is under $1,000

The Dirty Pigeon

Reaction score
There isn't a specific problem I'm looking to solve (weird body type, whatever fancy features off-the-rack suits just don't have), just wanted a well-fitted suit and wanted to see what my best option is if my budget is under $1,000

If you are of relatively average height and build, I'd say that your best option for under $1000 is to grab the best fitting good quality off-the-rack suit you can find and then take it to a great tailor to dial in the finer details. Forget about "custom" options.

If you don't trust your own ability to know if an off-the-rack suit is a good fit or not, that's understandable. I'd try a place like Suitsupply or Indochino but, make sure you study up on good fit as well. Some employees of those establishments may lean toward stylistic aspects like shorter jackets, slim fit trousers, etc. that you might not like and might cause you want a new suit a couple years down the road.

dral83

Reaction score
A bit over the 1k dollar cut-off but something to consider: Epaulet (affiliated vendor) can measure you and help you get the right fit in their suits (I believe some/most are MTO and made by Hickey Freeman?). They are in Cali.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit Supply is OK. Unless their merchadise has changed,
IndoChino is junk. Style Forum had a meet-up at the
San Francisco Indochino several years ago and I had the
opportunity to check our their garments up-close. Very
poor quality.

gimpwiz

Reaction score
I think indochino was only mentioned because it is really the only well-under-$1000 "custom" suit option that's well known. I do not know the actual material quality, though it seems like they use decent wools for the shell but the rest is very cheaply made (poor canvassing backed by fusible, poor worksmanship), and the QC is generally atrocious or apparently non-existent (some have great results, some have absurdly stupid results, like sleeves literal inches different in length.) I hope OP has generally been steered to off-the-rack + tailoring.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live near the Newport Suit Supply.
My friend's kid just got a job in finance, and they called me for a rec on where to go for a suit.
I sent them to Suit Supply at Fashion Island, and they came back with a MTM navy suit that they were really happy about for around $750.
He's 6' 4" and thin, and they dialed it in.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
I have had good luck with Enzo Custom, which has a showroom on Rodeo Drive. They have the usual lineup of MTM fabrics, e.g. VBC, Loro Piana, Holland and Sherry, Scabal, Zegna etc. and some house materials. Prices start around $500, and VBC is more like $900. If you just want a nice blue suit, you could do a lot worse than them. Style-wise, their fitters lean towards something Suit Supply-ish (most of them seem to be recruited from SuSu stores), but they use a lot of try-on garments as part of their process so if you'd prefer something more classical, as long as you are vocal and clear about what you want, they'll get it done for you. I've met the fitter there once (Bethany) when she was new and she seems cool and knowledgeable but unfortunately that is all I know. I think it's well worth a visit though.

Cotillion

Reaction score
I have had good luck with Enzo Custom, which has a showroom on Rodeo Drive. They have the usual lineup of MTM fabrics, e.g. VBC, Loro Piana, Holland and Sherry, Scabal, Zegna etc. and some house materials. Prices start around $500, and VBC is more like $900. If you just want a nice blue suit, you could do a lot worse than them. Style-wise, their fitters lean towards something Suit Supply-ish (most of them seem to be recruited from SuSu stores), but they use a lot of try-on garments as part of their process so if you'd prefer something more classical, as long as you are vocal and clear about what you want, they'll get it done for you. I've met the fitter there once (Bethany) when she was new and she seems cool and knowledgeable but unfortunately that is all I know. I think it's well worth a visit though.

I'd second this. I haven't purchased from either but I've been doing a lot of research and talked to both of these MTM shops recently and I personally would prefer Enzo Custom over Suit Supply.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads