• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cruise Packing Advice

ITGuy

Reaction score
Hello All,

First time poster, but frequent admirer of this forum from afar for men's style guidance.

Wife and I are going on our Honeymoon for a trip to the Mediterranean later next year, and I wanted to get an idea from other stylish men on what to pack, and what not to pack.

Our Cruiseliner,Oceania, says their dress code is Country Club Casual strictly translated to slacks and a button down shirt, but I've done further research to mean this is Jacket with trousers and tie optional, which I am totally OK with.

Our cruise is for 10 days, we are going to go for 14-16 days total depending how many additional days we spend in Rome.

I wanted to get an idea of what is enough and what is too much:

1) RL Navy Blue Doeskin Blazer (yep I love RL)
2) RL Herringbone Blazer (Do I even need it?)
3) RL Gabardine trousers (Navy)
4) RL Wool Fresco trousers (Grey)
5) 4-5 collared dress shirts
6) 2-3 other pairs of Twill shorts
7) 2-3 other pairs of khaki pants
8) 1 pair of dressy AE Tassel Loafers
9) 2 pairs of AE Kirkland Boat Shoes
10) 4-5 ties and 4-5 pocket squares
11) One lightweight, semi-waterproof jacket

Our plan is to carry 2 spinner/pullmans that we check with the airliner. 1 garment type bag with our most delicate pieces of clothing and sportcoats and 1 tech bag with camera, surface pro, phone chargers etc as carryons.

What do you all think? This is a 10 day cruise that helped us out without a formal night requirement but we are trying NOT to overpack as much as possible!!!

Last edited:

sStyle by sal

Reaction score
I would maybe only pack one boat shoe or none, maybe replace with an oxford dress shoe. Although i would suggest a nice all white leather sneaker it can look very good and bit more dressier so long as the aesthetic is not too much. With shoes I always suggest give a shoe 24 hrs of breathing time and never wear 2 days in a row.

As with pants what I would suggest is two chinos one being a nice darker green and the other a nice dark brown. With twill shorts I would suggest a dark navy blue and a light grey. Additionally if you have a warm skin tone I think you would be able to pull off a salmon pink chino shorts too. With ties to get more use out of them I would recommend simple darker colours like a nice dark blue, a maroon, red and a dark green although if you have a cooler aesthetic add a gun metal grey tie in their.

I would suggest maybe you pack a polo or two either a dark grey or a simple white one. Then you can still layer up with a sweater and not have to wear a tie too. Polos i find are thicker than a t shirt but have more structuring and look nice and smarter too.

I hope this advice was indeed helpful let me know if you have any further questions.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
congratulations on the upcoming trip.
overall I'm thinking that you're still overpacking and that you need a few more casual items.
what time of year are you going to be in the Mediterranean? Your jackets may be a bit warm if you're not going in the cooler months. I'd personally consider bringing just one dark blue/navy summer weight sport coat/blazer.
Grey fresco trousers will be versatile. Consider swapping the navy trousers for a pair of lighter-colored linen or cotton/linen trousers if it'll be warm when you're traveling?
Are you really going to need 4-5 ties and 4-5 pocket squares? I'd cut those down to 2-3 each.
Agree that you don't need 2 pairs of boat shoes and a pair of tassel loafers. In my mind they are too close in style/function. I'd consider one pair of either boat shoes OR loafers (not both), a dressier pair of shoes, and a pair of sneakers.
Can you get away with only 4-5 shirts for a 14-16 day trip? Maybe you are going to get them laundered. I'd agree with sal that a few polo shirts (long or short sleeved depending on the weather) would be a good idea.

Last edited:

ITGuy

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone, sorry I didn't reply back sooner.

The boat shoes I plan on bringing are fantastic looking in both casual and semi-dress situations and as comfortable as sneakers or casual shoes for excursions. I would bring both pairs as not only a variety color option, but also to limit the potential for them to smell funny, but they also replace any need for "comfort excursion shoes" since these serve that purpose perfectly. Speaking of which, should I bring shoe trees with my shoes? Kirkwood link below

http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m...wvar_SF10190_color=10190#q=boat+shoes&start=6

For dress shirts, I figured I would wear each one maybe 2x max which would work if I only wore them to dinner. I plan on having t-shirts, polos, and linen shirts for those excursions. If we need to have onboard drycleaning for those dress shirts we will do so.

For dressier attire, I think the 2 sports coats will be fine, one RL navy blazer and another RL herringblone sport coat (silk and wool, very light). I will probably only take 2-3 ties now and 4-6 pocket squares since our cruise leans toward casual without tie, but being prepared with such lightweight accessories is not a big deal

thanks again everyone, I will see if I can post some pictures of how it all goes down!!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads