• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crucifixion Nails Found in Tomb

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fang66
Theology =/= archeology and he is a trained in theology so that means he knows a lot about imaginary beings right?

Anyway if he can point me towards any reliable extra biblical evidence of the supernatural claims of the bible I would be most interested.

He never claimed that there was archaeological evidence of supernatural happenings. He just said that there is evidence of events in the Bible.

imightbechad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nosu3
Maybe there are still traces of DNA on these. Scientists will be able to resurrect jesus, but this time it will be in a petri dish. They'll use stem cells from a fetus and will have to implant it in a woman's vaginal. What if her name is Mary? What if the story of jesus was really a prediction of the future? It would connect the dots after all this time and the story would make sense.

I just optioned the movie rights. We can bill it as the next Jurassic Park.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fang66
Theology =/= archeology and he is a trained in theology so that means he knows a lot about imaginary beings right?

Anyway if he can point me towards any reliable extra biblical evidence of the supernatural claims of the bible I would be most interested.

Clearly I would be unable to challenge an intellect and wit such as yours.

Please note that I said "verify various aspects of the Biblical account." For example, the discovery of the Caiaphas ossuary discussed in the linked article confirms the existence of the high priest who played a central role in the crucifixion of Jesus. What we gain from archaeological finds is material confirmation of random, sometimes insignificant bits, of the writings of someone like Luke. But when a witness is shown to be correct time and time again in areas we can verify (on points he could not predict) it makes the unverifiable parts more likely as he has proven himself trustworthy.

Let's suspend our disbelief for a moment and pretend you have a friend. Your friend has shown himself to be correct and reliable on every occasion. Now he tells you something that is hard to believe and unverifiable. You would be inclined to trust him based on your past experiences with him.

That's what faith is like. It is not belief despite the evidence, but rather trust based on a witness who has shown himself to be reliable.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Let's suspend our disbelief for a moment and pretend you have a friend. Your friend has shown himself to be correct and reliable on every occasion. Now he tells you something that is hard to believe and unverifiable. You would be inclined to trust him based on your past experiences with him.
This is the kind of shockingly bad argument that arises out of a deep faith in something. Let's lay aside the trite analogy and state what's actually at stake. A collection of ancient writings--narratives of the life of Jesus of Nazareth, accounts of his followers, and letters between early Christians, just to take the New Testament examples--make reference to contemporaneous events. Some of these events can be verified by archaeological evidence. And why wouldn't they be? Why would early Christians have fabricated anything wholesale? The real point is that the key claims that they do make are hard to follow--in the realm of myth rather than historical record: that Jesus of Nazareth was executed and then rose from the dead; that he appeared in rather awkward fashion to his followers; that he flew up into the sky after promising to return soon; that if we just believe in him, we'll be resurrected too and live forever. Yes, religious faith is precisely what's called for to believe in such things unseen. But don't use some story about a credible friend to make it seem like such faith is a matter of reason.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe there are still traces of DNA on these. Scientists will be able to resurrect jesus, but this time it will be in a petri dish. They'll use stem cells from a fetus and will have to implant it in a woman's vaginal. What if her name is Mary? What if the story of jesus was really a prediction of the future? It would connect the dots after all this time and the story would make sense.

This made me LOL so hard I'm crying.
Apologies in advance if anyone is offended by this. . .

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Again, clearly I'm out of my depth with you gentlemen. I see there'll be no getting you into heaven. You've got me.

"There's nothing an agnostic can't do if he doesn't know whether he believes in anything or not"
laugh.gif

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clearly I would be unable to challenge an intellect and wit such as yours.

No need to get sarcky now Jesus wouldn't like it would he.

That's what faith is like. It is not belief despite the evidence, but rather trust based on a witness who has shown himself to be reliable.

Your analogy is interesting yet not quite correct. To be analogous with the bible my friend would have proven to be correct on occasion with respect to mundane details yet have pants afire on every significant detail.

nairb49

Reaction score

I read a terrible book called "The Genesis Code" by John Case (airport pickup) whose

SPOILER ALERT

entire theme is centered around EXACTLY that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads