• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones MTO Central

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
The Dundee is a seriously nice boot, but I’m not that keen on shell. Brown hatch grain anyone?

edit: maybe not if C&J only do hatch grain in shell.
They do something called I’m sure willow.. looks a lovely leather: I’m not in on it but may be worth a look.

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
New GMTO: Dundee Whiskey Shell Cordovan

Announcing here a new GMTO for a Dundee boot in whiskey shell cordovan. The specifications being proposed for this GMTO project are set out below. If anyone is interested, then your signing up for the following specifications:

- Model: Dundee
- Last: 325
- Width: E (regular)
- Material: Shell Cordovan
- Colour: Whiskey
- Welt: Stormwelt
- Sole: Dainite
- Tongue: Regular
- Edge Finish: Antique
- Eyelets: 4 exposed + 4 speedhooks (antique brass)
- Pull Tab: Yes
- Price: £1150 inc. VAT / £958 exc. VAT (price to be confirmed by C&J only when we have confirmed number of participants)

The provisional price provided by C&J for this GMTO is £1150 (£958 exc.VAT). C&J have advised that the price will be confirmed only after the required number of participants have been secured. A minimum of 6 participants are required.

For references and photos of the Dundee boot, visit the following SF threads: Example 1; Example 2; Example 3

The GMTO spreadsheet will run over the coming months which will see us entering 2024. This hopefully gives people time to organise for this GMTO project if interested. Here is the link to the Dundee Whiskey Shell GMTO spreadsheet.

Last edited:

Gustaf

Reaction score

tipitai

Reaction score
Quick question: Does anyone know if C&J will make a cordovan Boston loafer, i.e. a lined one, under their MTO program?

I’m looking for a whiskey shell loafer and number one on my list would be an Alden LHS on the Van last but that could take forever (or longer), so my second option is Crockett & Jones Boston/Harvard.

I know there are whiskey cordovan Harvards available from some shops but I would prefer a lined version over the unlined Harvard (I have dark brown shell Harvards).

All the current Bostons seem to be suede or calf leather, not sure if they used to make them in shell? Have a vague memory of Swedish store Grafford selling cordovan Bostons but that could also be wishful thinking.
Hi there - I'm new to this thread, so apologies if this question has been addressed before. How do you like your shell Harvards ? I have a pair in suede that I wear very regularly (especially while traveling) and have been thinking of getting a pair of Harvards in Shell for quite some time now, but would love to hear from someone who actually owns them already. Are you happy with how they've worn in and how they are holding up over the years ?

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found this interesting (waiting for my first pair of Russian Grain boots):

Thanks for that man. I don’t visit that site enough. I absolutely love the rg pairs I own, and really need to add more. Hopefully that Islay in rg will pick up some steam. An iconic boot in iconic leather is a must have.

WS19

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm whether C&J collects GST (VAT) on GMTO orders shipped to Australia? Or do they ship net of any taxes and leave it to be sorted out by customs here?

On a separate note, kind of wishing I got here in time for the RG Coniston, even though RG is pretty steep these days and probably uneconomic to bring into the country given the duties that would be charged.

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi there - I'm new to this thread, so apologies if this question has been addressed before. How do you like your shell Harvards ? I have a pair in suede that I wear very regularly (especially while traveling) and have been thinking of getting a pair of Harvards in Shell for quite some time now, but would love to hear from someone who actually owns them already. Are you happy with how they've worn in and how they are holding up over the years ?
Wear like bricks .. Shell will out last you with care.

martysaav

Reaction score
any interest from the group in a copy of this make-up?
I'd definitely be interested. Most gorgeous boot i've seen from C&J. I'd also love to try it out in a light brown/tan roughout leather! or tan scotch grain. Or suede. I just want this boot man...

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Harvard 2 on the 376 last is a better designed last imo, but if the 314 works for you go for it. As for longevity they hold up well, my pairs that are 10+ yrs old have seen some of the stitching pop on the apron, but that's about it. Fwiw, C&J refurb program is reasonable and solid and will fix these issues for you with a standard resole

lurker33

Reaction score
I found this interesting (waiting for my first pair of Russian Grain boots):

Good read. Also very excited for my first pair of Russian Grain boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads