• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett jones Hallam with jeans/chinos????

newyorker2

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
can you wear Crockett and jones Hallam black or dark brown burnished calf cap toes with jeans/chinos?
can you wear c&j Hallam dark brown suede cap toes to the same effect?
can you wear John Lobb Stockley cap toes like so?

I know in theory cap toes are supposed to be more formal shoes but I was wondering if it could work.

thank you

newyorker2

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
hallam-5057-12-2_1.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 1.02.37 AM.png
crockett-jones-hallam_1500x1500_123.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 1.11.10 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 1.10.43 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 1.11.56 AM.png

bullethead

Reaction score
I have the Hallam in suede though I find with denim and chinos I prefer something more substantial or leaning to a more rounded toe

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not crazy about any of those slacks. Perhaps a darker indigo wash (those above look black) paired with the suede option.
It’s not ideal and there are better options, but given the choices you’ve presented, it’s the best option.

newyorker2

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
yeah I'm at a loss as what to do. I really gotta try these shoes on with the pants to see if it could be pulled off. I'm not a boot guy of any kind except for Tod's suede winter gommino ankle boots. I'm not crazy about derby shoes or bluchers except for Alden norgweigan split toes but I'm not sure if I really want to wear cordovan split toes with dockers chinos or Levis or Brioni jeans... monk straps I'm Luke warm on they're a little too stylish for me. I'm thinking my options come down to either a cap toe or a loafer.... sometimes Ferragamo makes a loafer I like but nothing on their website is particularly drawing me right now. I like this Sutor Mantellassi "Olimpo" penny loafer which I'm considering about ordering from Saks just to see if it would be compatible... though it seems like it might be a little too sleek to wear with chinos or jeans because of its long, distinctive toe.... an Alden low vamp cordovan in color 8 or black could work with jeans... that's a possibility. my taste is limited. the John Lobb Stockley seemed like a decent option to me because it's a little more casual with the punching details and I like the shape of the shoe but I'm trying to buy 2-3 pairs of shoes and I don't want to spend $4000 on shoes... gotta think more....

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just don’t see those shoes really pairing well with those options.
I know you’re not a boot guy, but have you considered a Chukka? In my opinion, the ideal option.

newyorker2

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I would wear suede boots with jeans i.e. Tods winter gommino or maybe an Alden suede plain toe boot or Alden suede mocc toe leisure Oxford but that's not the particular look I'm aiming for right now. I am looking for a calf skin shoe.... gotta think about this more—thanks for your inputs.... and to the first responder interesting that you have hallam shoes and don't like them paired with chinos or jeans.... I gotta try them on first hand and see for myself what I think.

newyorker2

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
yeah suede chukkas actually are ok too these pictures are Alden

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 7.46.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 7.46.33 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 43

newyorker2

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
not to blow on Agnelli too hard but anything that resembles what he put together in this picture is good in my book... though actually the idea for calf skin cap toes with jeans was inspired by this second picture I attached.... it appears that he's wearing calf skin cap toes with jeans though I'm realizing those shoes he's wearing in this picture may actually be boots

Attachments

• 54d1af7d5d9e3_-_esq-05-dad-jeans-gianni-agnelli-style-2013-mdn.jpg
    54d1af7d5d9e3_-_esq-05-dad-jeans-gianni-agnelli-style-2013-mdn.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 7.50.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 7.50.13 AM.png
    781.2 KB · Views: 42

newyorker2

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
that's funny you said you don't like those chinos I was thinking about buying some Cucinelli chinos but quite frankly I can't really tell a huge difference in styling between some $500 Cucinelli chinos and some $50 dockers chinos... maybe the Cucinelli chinos look slightly nicer but not $450 worth let's put it that way....

Chowkin

Reaction score
Don’t. Cap toe Oxford with jeans looks very odd:

15F34629-CB8C-49B8-AE24-74E27FC22504.jpeg

If you insist on wearing Oxfords with jeans, I suggest going for a pair of full brogues:

53407C0D-903A-41CB-B4AC-9CA9F35008FB.jpeg

khughes44

Reaction score
I just don’t see those shoes really pairing well with those options.
I know you’re not a boot guy, but have you considered a Chukka? In my opinion, the ideal option.
This. Cap toes don’t dress down well; they look out of place with jeans and chinos. Suede chukkas on the other hand, assuming a more elegant last, work really well and are more versatile.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads