• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

critique my resume for m.consulting and ibanking!

RedScarf7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
^^^ Would it be worthwhile for him to say he is Excel proficient?

Bad idea unless you're an excel rockstar, and judging by the resume I don't think he is. Analysts are in Excel for many, many hours each day, and they know the program backwards and forwards. By including that on your resume you open yourself to unnecessary scrutiny that could jeopardize your chances of getting hired.

Look at mergersandinquisitions.com for resume tips and templates. IB resumes should be short and concise. Make sure your formatting (spacing between paragraphs, margins, font, etc..) is consistent throughout your resume and cover letter as attention to detail is one of the most important things they look for in analysts.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bhowie
Hey AB, how accurate/helpful is http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/ ?
Seems fairly accurate and honest. I'm not sure exactly what the guy is trying to sell; it looks like prep guides and so forth. But the commentary and advice is pretty good.
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Most people aren't 'proficient' in Excel. Sure, they can do basic tasks and even link a few simple formulas together, but if you ask them to do more complicated tasks, such as logic, or linking data tables from different workbooks, they fail miserably. Most people can't do what they think they can do; especially when it comes to computers.
+20 This is why I hate weasel words and phrases like "proficient" or "working knowledge." The first basically means anything from being able to crunch basic formulas up to doing hardcore ninja work, and hence, it's very vague. The second basically reads as "I once installed this program; I may or may not have used it." "Working knowledge" is something someone puts on his resume just to throw a buzzword on there -- but which gives him enough distance to not seem like he's lying when called out on it. I took four years of French in high school and basically remember nothing of it. I would never put "working knowledge" of French on my resume, because it just invites all sorts of questions about the extent of the "working" part. And I'd never put "proficient," because someone might surprise me and start busting out my interview in French.

joelmthw

Reaction score
i actually like M&I, been reading em for a while, ive gained a lot of knowledge reading their articles.
so how should i phrase my excel skills? id say im above the average user but not a rockstar/ninja, meaning i know how to use pivot tables and linking data

untilted

Reaction score
aim for regional banks esp middle market.

this resume aint getting u bulge brackets unless you get hooked up.

try like raymond james, harris williams, bt&t, suntrust, mccoll partners, and other mid atlantic or southeast smaller banks. even for those you better network ur ass off. use alum database, network like a crazy mofo.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
I took four years of French in high school and basically remember nothing of it. I would never put "working knowledge" of French on my resume, because it just invites all sorts of questions about the extent of the "working" part. And I'd never put "proficient," because someone might surprise me and start busting out my interview in French.

I have "proficient" spanish and norwegian on my resume from when I graduated. I decided on "proficient" because I had done enough of those languages to pass my school's proficiency exam (graduation requirement in at least one language).

They are definitely coming off in the future if I don't find some way to keep up with them (they are mostly gone anyways) as I can't really fall back on the "I passed a proficiency exam back in college" excuse....maybe I just need to find another BS term to describe them.

v.freeman

Reaction score
Your odds are slim to zero. If you're class of 2012, you'll be doing internship recruiting in Spring 2011 which probably will not look great if the economy stays this tepid. Plus, the location of your school is a huge disadvantage because no one likes to go down South for recruiting with the exception of Duke. Just do a F500 engineering position. About 100x easier to get, pay isn't that shabby, especially if you're living in places where they typically headquarter and you'll live a pretty decent life. Not trying to get you down or anything, I think your resume is exceptional. Just realize that MC and IB are pretty superficial in terms recruiting.

joelmthw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by v.freeman
Your odds are slim to zero. If you're class of 2012, you'll be doing internship recruiting in Spring 2011 which probably will not look great if the economy stays this tepid. Plus, the location of your school is a huge disadvantage because no one likes to go down South for recruiting with the exception of Duke.

Just do a F500 engineering position. About 100x easier to get, pay isn't that shabby, especially if you're living in places where they typically headquarter and you'll live a pretty decent life.

Not trying to get you down or anything, I think your resume is exceptional. Just realize that MC and IB are pretty superficial in terms recruiting.

i dont like engineering as much as i thought i would. thats why im trying to move away from engineering.

Originally Posted by pseudonym
Tips on networking?

Besides getting cards and such.

mergersandinquisitions.com has a good guide on networking like a ninja

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by joelmthw
recruiting season is upon us at school and im trying to aim for summer 2011 internships in management consulting (mbb, deloitte) and investment banking. i know my chances are pretty slim to none at mbb, but ill take my chances. since there are a ton of professionals on sf, i wanted to reach out to you guys for some feedback on my resume. all criticism is welcome. also note: i have an engineering background so i tried to give it a business spin

easy to view resume: http://www.razume.com/documents/16683

First, I do like how you've written the resume. Clean, little bullshit, very results-oriented.

However, given your GPA and lack of non-engineering internships, realistically, you probably won't get an internship at a top 3 strategy firm. Not to despair. There are three things you can do in the meantime to set yourself up for success in fall 2011 for full-time positions:

1) Focus on getting something outside the engineering space this summer. Could be at a bank or a Fortune 500 company - anything that demonstrates you're not an engineer submitting this application for God knows what reason. Something in strategy or business development works. Getting an investment banking position also demonstrates some pedigree, even though it isn't superficially related to strategy consulting.

2) Network aggressively. Family and friends and friends of friends is one way. Another is attending any campus events held by MBB and talking with people to leave an impression in their minds. Even submitting a very tailored cover letter that cites a person or two can help with the right resume reviewer (I actually have a column in my resume assessment sheet where I rate people on "interest in [my firm]").

3) Work on boosting those grades. Not horrible for engineering, but I would try to get at least 0.1 or 0.2 higher on your overall GPA. I personally would mix in some easy courses to help yourself out. Especially if you go into management consulting, no one will care if you took advanced level engineering courses or something wildly easy.

If you manage those three, you'll have a shot at gettting your resume through. And then it's up to you to nail the cases and interviews.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by v.freeman
Your odds are slim to zero. If you're class of 2012, you'll be doing internship recruiting in Spring 2011 which probably will not look great if the economy stays this tepid. Plus, the location of your school is a huge disadvantage because no one likes to go down South for recruiting with the exception of Duke.

Just do a F500 engineering position. About 100x easier to get, pay isn't that shabby, especially if you're living in places where they typically headquarter and you'll live a pretty decent life.

Not trying to get you down or anything, I think your resume is exceptional. Just realize that MC and IB are pretty superficial in terms recruiting.

that was my first thought as well... 3-5 years in F500, get some good stuff on your resume, rock the GMAT and get into a top business school. Party for two years while you're there and take whatever path you'd like at that point - finance, consulting, corporate, etc... Recruiters love engineers with MBAs

pablo

Reaction score
that was my first thought as well... 3-5 years in F500, get some good stuff on your resume, rock the GMAT and get into a top business school. Party for two years while you're there and take whatever path you'd like at that point - finance, consulting, corporate, etc... Recruiters love engineers with MBAs
Great advice.

Several engineers I know and work with have taken this route.

Thebomb85019

Reaction score
I think your chances at MBB consulting are essentially zero. If you are not graduating from a target school, you better have Summa *** Laude on your diploma.

Banking is much different. There will be those top tier banks that will only look at the Wharton types (Moelis, PWP, Lazard, etc.) but bulge brackets and middle market are realistic if you network your butt off. At the end of the day, these places are just looking for bodies to serve as Excel monkeys for a few years and then burn out and leave. Look around at some of the regional banks as someone mentioned and also take a look at Stephens, Morgan Keegan, and Edgeview. Be persistent and find a finance related internship asap to spring yourself into a summer analyst position. Nail down your story and start reaching out to people.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As long as we're asking finance questions here, I've got one more.

Is there a reason not to be a financial advisor? I have an internship offer for this winter, and after a bit of looking in to the field, it looks to be a reasonable amount of work, pay well, and doesn't involve incessant number pushing.

Thebomb85019

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
As long as we're asking finance questions here, I've got one more.

Is there a reason not to be a financial advisor? I have an internship offer for this winter, and after a bit of looking in to the field, it looks to be a reasonable amount of work, pay well, and doesn't involve incessant number pushing.

Although the work is easy and hours are flexible, building up a book of clients is really hard to do unless you are a.) old and the rest of your friends are established in their careers b.) have a lot of family/social connections that will give you a lot of money to invest OR c.) really good at cold calling and like being a glorified sales men.

You have a year or two before you move over from salary to totally commission based and, unlike banking or consulting, you do not build up a solid set of skills that are marketable to other companies. If you can get on an established team right away and start out as their *****, you can have a little more stability but you will always play second fiddle until you go out and start your own book.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads