• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crescent Down Works or Penfield

Crescent Down Works or Penfield down jacket

• Crescent Down Works

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Penfield

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

sgiridharan

Reaction score
I'm looking at a down jacket and trying to decide between buying one from Crescent Down Works or Penfield. Does anyone have any preference or can anyone tell me which brand is better? Any recommendations? I'm on the smaller size 36-38in chest.

Thanks!

gsugsu

Reaction score
Both well made. CDW will be more expensive. I'd take CDW myself. You can also look at Mt. Rainier Designs (Japanese designed, US fabric made in China but well made). Both they and CDW use 60/40 cloth. Another quality maker to look at is Feathered Friends (US made). From the UK I'd suggest RAB and PHD (Peter Hutchinson Designs). The last 3 makers are highly regarded for functional down products.

sgiridharan

Reaction score
I guess I'm also looking for a down jacket that is not technical outerwear. I want to wear it to work but also brave the Chicago cold. My work is business casual and I wear jeans. I have a black down puffy north face and I feel like a thug wearing it to work. But it's really warm.

bertie

Reaction score
I've had a penfield down parka for two years and use it when my North Face is too warm. The quality is very good - I was surprised by the price quality ratio. However, the styling is very basic and even a bit unflattering (though I guess that's par for the course for any parka style).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads