• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Converting flapped pockets to jetted

bigbucky

Reaction score
I'm looking at a tuxedo I really like but it has flapped pockets. Can I just take a seam ripper to it and remove the flap? Better left to a tailor?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would suggest simply tucking the flaps into the pockets.

CutandSew

Reaction score

That is the easier solution but I would know they were still there. It's like painting behind the radiator. I guess I'll keep looking.

In addition to simply just tucking them in, assuming the pockets are jetted with flaps in the first place, you would need to have them closed with some sort of hand zig zag stitch to close the gap. The stitch should be easy to remove afterwards should you wish to go back to flap pockets.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That is the easier solution but I would know they were still there. It's like painting behind the radiator. I guess I'll keep looking.

Why on earth does such knowledge matter to you? This has been done for years by those who prefer the non-flap look.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In addition to simply just tucking them in, assuming the pockets are jetted with flaps in the first place, you would need to have them closed with some sort of hand zig zag stitch to close the gap. The stitch should be easy to remove afterwards should you wish to go back to flap pockets.

If wants to convert them to jetted I don't see why stitching the pocket closed would be necessary, just tucking the flaps in should be enough. I don't see what stitching them shut would achieve other than preventing you from using the pockets.

LeviMay

Reaction score
Are you having the pockets stitched shut? If so, remove the flaps, rather than tucking them and closing the pocket. I had this done on a couple suits, and the outline of the tucked flap will show after a pressing.

Wolfador

Reaction score
tuck them in and have the flaps stitched in. That is what I had done on my tux.

That way I can still use the pockets for the valet ticket and not have to worry about one of the flaps coming out unknowingly.

CutandSew

Reaction score

If wants to convert them to jetted I don't see why stitching the pocket closed would be necessary, just tucking the flaps in should be enough. I don't see what stitching them shut would achieve other than preventing you from using the pockets.

Stitching the pocket closed is not necessary. It will just prevent the flap from slipping out. Personally I'm not a fan of opening up jetted pocket to be used in the first place because I don't like the look of the pocket opening after it has been stretched due to use. Flaps usually cover any gaping pockets, but since the flap is gone (or tucked in as would be the case here) I think it would look nicer closed by hidden stitching. If I have anything that needs to go in a pocket (wallet, phone, tickets, etc.) I tend to use the pockets in the lining anyways. This is only one suggestion, and it would depend on whether or not the OP wants to hang onto the flaps just in case he changes his mind in the future.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm looking at a tuxedo I really like but it has flapped pockets. Can I just take a seam ripper to it and remove the flap? Better left to a tailor?

There is a difference how flapped and besom pockets are finished. On besom pockets a piece of cloth is sewn inside as a sort of facing so when the pocket opens you see the same cloth as the jacket. On a flapped pocket there is no cloth under the flap, only lining. This is to reduce layers at the pocket. Converting from flaps to besom can be done just the same as it would have been done originally by removing the back lining of the flap and stitching the cloth to the inside of the pocket. It will be just the same as it would have been done the first time the pocket was made.

Don't try to remove the flap yourself, you will separate the pipe from the jacket.

If you like everything else about this tux, the flaps are no reason to pass on this one. Easy enough to change without compromising anything about the construction of the jacket.

Last edited:

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wanted to bump this to get some advice. I have this jacket but it's a bit too long. It's 32" from the BOC. 31" would look much better on me (5'11). The button stance, as you can see, is plenty high enough to absorb the shortening. The pocket flaps could be another story. 1 inch might work, but if it looks out of balance after the job is done, hiding the flaps would give the illusion that they pockets are higher.

Would you opt to open the pockets and tuck the flaps in, or have it fully converted to jetted pockets? FYI, I only have $40 invested into this jacket (Isaia), and it's not like I can go out and grab this color of velvet at that price in my size ever again, so I am fully committed to making this work.

Last edited:

Millerp

Reaction score
You could easily shorten that jacket one inch and not have to do anything about the pockets.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads