• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If that suit were a solid worsted or a flannel the tie would be fine for me. It's the pinstripes that make the combination with the tie a bit less than stellar. Not bad by any means - just not quite 'over the moon'.
In my mind pinstripes make a suit something very specific and worsted pinstripes even more so. I find it pretty hard to make textured wool ties look great with worsted pinstripe - not impossible - but tricky.
Now - all things are possible (more or less). It's less about the language/labels/categories than it is the actual pieces and the end results.

Crap, I didn't notice the pinstripes honestly. Yes, I don't like it anymore. But stripes wool ties with worsted suits. Awesome.

someotherstyle

Reaction score

If that suit were a solid worsted or a flannel the tie would be fine for me. It's the pinstripes that make the combination with the tie a bit less than stellar. Not bad by any means - just not quite 'over the moon'.
In my mind pinstripes make a suit something very specific and worsted pinstripes even more so. I find it pretty hard to make textured wool ties look great with worsted pinstripe - not impossible - but tricky.
Now - all things are possible (more or less). It's less about the language/labels/categories than it is the actual pieces and the end results.

Again I'm with you on this. From more than two feet away, the whole appearance is solids (with of course the exception of the tie). Anyways, enough about this combination and onto the next stellar Gdl fit in my opinion!

Sonny58

Reaction score
It can be argued that the texture in the tie isn't appropriate with the texture of the suit. Refer to Vox's current thread for something along those lines.
Thanks for the comments on the tie - it is from one of Will's original EG Capelli's MTO runs.
-M

Capelli huh? Perhaps F. Corbera considers this an example of discord in quality rather than discord along the city/country line. How much did your suit cost? :)

We'll just have to stay tuned to find out I guess...

Spoo, I'm not getting your recent trend for sober looks with bright pocket squares. Seems like you're directing the eye to the square, and that distracts me from the whole.

It's an interesting forum phenomenon that I've described before, and Spooky-v.Jan2012 is probably the least bad example right now because, as you note, it's often just Pokey's square (in terms of ensemble color and pattern rather than, say, form, which still can be discordant to my eyes) that is fighting to be free.

At the other end of this phenomenon, you have the whole range of ensembles that have become rooted in a boring/soporific tie, but everything else is haywire. This ****** look abounds on SF right now. I swear people are wearing neckties now that cost more than their jackets.

I say that these are forum phenoms because I can't imagine seeing such things in real life. I find myself amazed to say so, but I really do think it is the result of (1) the conservative business dress WAYWRN thread and (2) the Soporific tie thread. They've spawned partial mutations.

Another thing to think about what Spoo is wearing today: does a fuzzy shepherds check wool tie really go with a hard worsted pinstripe peak lapel worn with black bals? A check in silk, sure...but a wool?

Most dudes should just stay away from wool ties until they've mastered silk. You want nubbliness? Wear a silk knit.

The two consistent issues right now in WAYWRN are (1) pretty much no one seems to wear anything that fits or is proportioned well and (2) there seems to be little understanding of (or if there is understanding that is not apparent to me, then no appreciation for) how elements of an ensemble relate to one another. And by "relate," I don't mean just in the girly senses of color, pattern and texture...although it is a good day on SF when even that happens.

Here we go.

Practical Thoughts on Coherent Combinations for Beginners

In this thread, we will examine largely undiscussed approaches to organizing the process of selecting elements that compose coat-and-tie ensembles that have a coherent look.

By "coherent," I mean an ensemble, an outfit, a "fit," in which the component elements relate to each other most successfully, as if they all belong together.

The much-discussed approaches to organizing this selection process are:

• Color Coordination
  • Pattern and Texture Coordination
  • Contrast Combination
To some extent, these are favored for discussion since they seem somewhat objective or even pseudo-scientific, giving apparent freedom from the weight of culture and tradition. Here is the apex symbol of these discussions:

These three aspects of putting together a look are important, but I will not discuss them here except incidentally. Why? There is useful material on those subjects already.

Instead, in this thread, I will talk about practical approaches that are little discussed.

We will start out with two, and then go from there as the thread continues:

• Navigate all elements of each “fit” to one point in the path from country to city.
  • Keep elements of each “fit” within (a) the same aesthetic and (b) within the same level of quality.

I will use examples from photographs posted voluntarily by members on SF. If any of the original posters would prefer that I not, simply send me a PM and I will substitute another image.

Let's set a few things up generally for this thread before we examine these first two practical approaches.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats interesting- and thanks for copying in the quotes, they were a good re-read.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Crap, I didn't notice the pinstripes honestly. Yes, I don't like it anymore. But stripes wool ties with worsted suits. Awesome.

Agreed completely! Especially if one makes sure to add a madder silk square for the perfect level of complimentary sheen.

And that tie is teh sechs! Really a stellar tie.

Last edited:

Octoberfile

Reaction score
.....First contribution to this thread. Pics posted on WAYWRN a little over three days ago.

IMG_1395_Fixed.jpg

IMG_1330.jpg

IMG_1309_Fixed.jpg

IMG_13772.jpg

IMG_13612.jpg

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Putting all fit issues aside I would say that the red tie is :crazy: What color is the suit? If it is black I woudl say it is a no-no. Also the shirt shoes a little too much white and the check pattern with french cuffs looks strange. I personally don't care for the big cufflinks and the sports watch. They both look distracting.

Octoberfile

Reaction score

Putting all fit issues aside I would say that the red tie is :crazy: What color is the suit? If it is black I woudl say it is a no-no. Also the shirt shoes a little too much white and the check pattern with french cuffs looks strange. I personally don't care for the big cufflinks and the sports watch. They both look distracting.

Points taken. I'll try toning it down a couple notches next time.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rain, rain, rain go away.
Let the sun come out and all the children say

IMG00438-20120127-0916.jpg

IMG00441-20120127-0918.jpg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?