• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Real quick - We are talking about looking at pictures of headless men to a bunch of (mostly) straight guys on the internet. No "Internets, Serious (conservative) Business (dress)" meme, but just think about that for a second. Pour all of yourselves a shot of Jack, close your laptops, walk away from the thread. Do not discuss with your wife/GF/SO "You wont BELIEVE what happened on the internet today!". Watch a game of your favorite sport, scratch your balls, kiss your kids, think about calling your moms and grandmas, then come back here and lets really think about it once more. Thats all.

cronicmole

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
It's a frivilous book, though I am proud of it, it's not going to be part of any canon. And if my job went away tomorrow, the economy would go on and no one would notice.

Can you clarify for me what you consider an important job or an achievement?

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Didn't you crash your car into a tree while cell-posting something on SF?

confused.gif
devil.gif

- B

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
At least it wasn't a Ferrari !
devil.gif

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just caught up on this thread and it was like reading Atlas Shrugged all over again, in an even whinier tone, but, markedly better prose.

HenryFlower

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace
I just caught up on this thread and it was like reading Atlas Shrugged all over again, in an even whinier tone, but, markedly better prose.

This comment makes up for some of the meltdown. Well done.

either/or

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
You've mentioned that you and others learned about clothing, etc. from your fathers and fathers' fathers. You've/we've also learned manners, what it means to be a gentleman, how to push the bounds with playful, often insulting banter. Many of the young guys nowadays don't grow up with fathers who teach them these things, if they have fathers at all. In a lot of ways, we are raising them on the internet, for better and worse. And yes, I am laying this too at your feet, but not only at your feet. I'm ready to bear the burden too, as are other mods. But what imo makes a forum a good forum isn't good moderation, so much as good discussion.
FWIW you just made it to my SF-top-three. BTW, it's not always a father's job to discuss.
Originally Posted by Manton
It's a frivilous book, though I am proud of it, it's not going to be part of any canon. And if my job went away tomorrow, the economy would go on and no one would notice.
Originally Posted by cronicmole
Can you clarify for me what you consider an important job or an achievement?
-making a difference?
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Real quick
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Didn't you crash your car into a tree while cell-posting something on SF?
laugh.gif
-speaking from experience can hardly be called a bad thing.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Real quick -

We are talking about looking at pictures of headless men to a bunch of (mostly) straight guys on the internet. No "Internets, Serious (conservative) Business (dress)" meme, but just think about that for a second.

Pour all of yourselves a shot of Jack, close your laptops, walk away from the thread. Do not discuss with your wife/GF/SO "You wont BELIEVE what happened on the internet today!". Watch a game of your favorite sport, scratch your balls, kiss your kids, think about calling your moms and grandmas, then come back here and lets really think about it once more.

Thats all.

Ayup.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
I get what you are saying, but I am probably one of the few who don't think that Manton is overreacting. If I were him I'd be pissed too. He started this thread for a specific purpose, and he dictated what he wanted to see and discuss here. Nevertheless, he has graciously welcomed posters who consistently miss the mark but seem genuinely interested in the subject matter of the thread. He shouldn't have to tolerate people coming in and ******** the thread up to make some sort of statement. We already have the free-for-all WAYWRN thread to admire all the different ranges of business dress, and to ignore the styles we find offputting. A lot of us were excited when Manton started this thread, it's a shame that he's dropping it because some people can't stand to be out of the spotlight, even if they clearly don't belong here.
If Manton wants to start a blog, he can. What you describe above is why people have blogs. That's what they're for. This is a thread on a public Internet forum. No matter how big Manton's ego, he does not own the thread. For a while, this was the "WAYWRN for people who actually know how to dress" thread. It has devolved, and that I find a shame. Too bad. Nevertheless, I think the rage Manton is showing here is quite....silly. EDIT: Frankly, if conservative business dress does actually have a definition (other than being shorthand for whether or not Manton likes your outfit), it is incumbent on Manton, the inventor of the term, to define it in an articulate fashion. There are enough exclusive-to-StyleForum terms of art, slang words, and memes which all the regular posters on this forum understand completely that if folks don't completely "understand" conservative business dress, it's not their fault but rather Manton's inarticulateness.

Nelton

Reaction score
Real quick -

We are talking about looking at pictures of headless men to a bunch of (mostly) straight guys on the internet. No "Internets, Serious (conservative) Business (dress)" meme, but just think about that for a second.

Pour all of yourselves a shot of Jack, close your laptops, walk away from the thread. Do not discuss with your wife/GF/SO "You wont BELIEVE what happened on the internet today!". Watch a game of your favorite sport, scratch your balls, kiss your kids, think about calling your moms and grandmas, then come back here and lets really think about it once more.

Thats all.

+1

Oleg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I couldn't care less about forum intrigue and politics. I just want to talk about clothes.
Amen. Enough of the Lord of the Flies ****. Didn't there used to be pictures of clothes on this thread?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads