• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cobblers in Canada (Toronto or major Canadian cities) - goodyear welt and JR Rendenbach

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, the soles were expensive! Why did you buy it yourself, as opposed to asking cobbler to get it? I assume cobblers can source a slightly better price. I could be wrong of course.

The total costs is likely market rate for a cobbler who knows what they're doing.

Glad to see we can promote Canadian cobblers here.
The price seems to be in the lower end of the ballpark for retail, though I ordered them simply because I wasn’t sure my cobbler could easily get the Morflex in. On reflection, I’m pretty sure he could have : )

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love WM Moorby for the fit and the fact they're made in Canada. Though I must say their leathers are definitely cheaper than other brands. Also, they don't put on a midsole at the factory. I have 2 pairs and when the time comes for rebuild, I will make sure I get midsoles added.

I think Boulet executes better.

One day I'll save up for Viberg and maybe try Dayton. The latter may not survive given their legal challenges.
I’m led to believe that there is a bit of range in their leather, some from Mexico some from US tanneries.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m led to believe that there is a bit of range in their leather, some from Mexico some from US tanneries.

I've read the same thing.

BlueSteel

Reaction score

The Moorby CXL boots are Horween (ie. USA). Heck of a value when they are on sale. I got my black CXL Moorbys for under $200 CDN on a clearance. My Burgundy CXL pair (called "Black Cherry") were also on sale, but cost about $250 CDN. In any case, a GYW boot made in Canada from Horween leather with good Vibram outsoles for those prices...unbeatable value I'd say.

(I also have 6 pairs of Vibergs - which are awesome - but the price point is a complete other game there.)

Last edited:

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Moorby CXL boots are Horween (ie. USA). Heck of a value when they are on sale. I got my black CXL Moorbys for under $200 CDN on a clearance. My Burgundy CXL pair (called "Black Cherry") were also on sale, but cost about $250 CDN. In any case, a GYW boot made in Canada from Horween leather with good Vibram outsoles for those prices...unbeatable value I'd say.

(I also have 6 pairs of Vibergs - which are awesome - but the price point is a complete other game there.)
Agreed on the value assessment for CWB! I had a pair of Vibergs that I bought in Victoria years ago but had to sell them on because the instore expert put me in a too small size. They were beautiful but the Dainite and the size conspired against me.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My 2 pairs of Moorby were $150 and $90 Canadian. One pair was on FB marketplace by a store that was clearing their stock. A second pair was nearly NOS on ebay.
And yeah, the one pair I believe is Horween calf whereas the other is very likely Mexican leather.

I agree Moorby presents a great value. Boulet is a step up.

And yeah, Viberg is a whole other level. Don't know if I will ever make it there.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of the Canadian cobblers I recommend, the following have won SSIA competition awards. SSIA is an international, but mostly North American association of cobblers.

Ronald Nijdam (Quick Cobbler in Vancouver) - Silver Cup title. First Canadian Cobbler to win the championship.

Patrick Nijdam (Quick Cobbler in Vancouver) - Silver Cup title.

Dan Frappier (Heels n Soles in Sudbury) - Bronze and Silver.

Corey Hiltz (Fix em up in Barrie) - Silver.

Martin Sugg (Timeless in Thunder Bay) - Silver Cup title. First from Ontario.

Gary Coakley (Coakleys in London) - Bronze.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@suitforcourt Have you tried size adjustment with any of these cobblers? I have a few pairs that don't fit me well on the instep (I think). Wondering if I can have a cobbler to do magic on them.
Yes, most can stretch footwear without issue.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not stretch, but more like instep/ arch adjustments, but not just like selling me an insole, was hoping them to have some expertise and know how to adjust it.
You're talking about a complete rebuild?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads