• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quick Cobbler - Vancouver Canada

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear SF brothers,

I've been posting about my experiences with cordwainer/cobblers in Canada who use Joh Rendenbach soles (http://www.lederfabrik-rendenbach.de/1/benefits-of-jr-leather/) considered to be one of the best leather soles for men's shoes.

So this is a review for Quick Cobbler in Vancouver: http://www.quickcobbler.com/

Multi-generational cobblers originating from the Netherlands. Seems like they have a loyal and strong client base out west, along with some interesting international clientele as well.

Costs will be $139 + tax for basic recraft package. Plus return postage, and other recommended work by the cobblers.

------------------------------------------

I'm sending the following pair of VERY interesting shoes for a full recraft. I swapped these with a SF community member in Winnipeg.

Shoe size: 9D

Brand: Unclear. But there is a "Royal Imperial" green label attached, indicating Florsheim. The soles say "Custom Grade - Made in Canada" and heels are from Dacks. I know that Florsheim used to make shoes in Canada, so quite possibly a very vintage pair. The insoles are Hartt, but don't look like the original to me.

My guess: Made in Canada Florsheim shoes, that were given new heels from Dacks, and new insole from Hartt. Most logical explanation.

Condition: Good. Soles definitely need to be replaced. The interior shows lots of wear. Some patch work on heel guard area needs to be done. Perfect pair of shoes to test a cobbler's skill.

Sending them off today, expect to get them back in 3-4 weeks. Will post the final product later. Can't wait.

Last edited:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Update from Quick Cobbler: Pictures of the work in progress

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The final product and verdict:

1. Repairs made to worn heel in body area (leather patch stitched over);

2. For sole, there is a channel and groove to protect the stitching;

3. The fit is tighter, signalling that the last was the right size;

4. On my feet for a few hours, and shoes are very comfortable.

Verdict: I highly recommend this recraft. Very reasonably priced, and work done properly.

Here are the post-pics:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice! Thanks for the write up.
May I ask, which cobbler you've been using? Is he in Toronto area?

So now I've used Quick Cobbler ($139) in Vancouver, and Atelier L'Egide in Montreal ($250). Both do great work, but extra costs of shipping both ways.

I haven't been able to find a Toronto cobbler who uses Joh Rendenbach soles.

clarkyin

Reaction score
Very nice write up! helped me a lot, still annoyed nothing this good is in Toronto!!! Been mostly installing toe taps and replacing heel to avoid resole. So far it's been ok in Toronto.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice write up! helped me a lot, still annoyed nothing this good is in Toronto!!! Been mostly installing toe taps and replacing heel to avoid resole. So far it's been ok in Toronto.
Nothing wrong with toe taps and replacing heel.

But at some point, no matter how high quality, the sole has to be replaced.

I really endorse L'Atelier Egide in Montreal http://www.styleforum.net/t/528739/...mi-shoe-cobbler-cordwainer-in-montreal-quebec, but he charges $250.

Quick Cobbler's price is $139, which is a huge difference, and work is still acceptable.

I am very shocked that Toronto doesn't have any cobblers that use Joh Rendenbach. Or even heard of it. The JR soles should last many many years, especially if you have a proper rotation of dress shoes (I have 21 pairs, and wear dress shoes 15-20 days a month).

The alternative is B Nelson in NYC. In my view, they are one of the best cobbler stores anywhere. Prices are fair (except for our exchange rate) and the work is consistently of the highest calibre. Nick V knows his craft, and loves it. And it does show.

clarkyin

Reaction score
Yeah, my work doesn't require Dress shoes so much but all my shoes are leather bottoms of some sort (carminas, aldens, enzo bonafe) somewhere around 8 shoes but i really only rotate through half of them.

Yeah i think i'll do Vancouver one down the road, it's a 50% price difference from the montreal!!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my work doesn't require Dress shoes so much but all my shoes are leather bottoms of some sort (carminas, aldens, enzo bonafe) somewhere around 8 shoes but i really only rotate through half of them.

Yeah i think i'll do Vancouver one down the road, it's a 50% price difference from the montreal!!
If you look at my 2 reviews, the major difference is that Laurent (Montreal) only uses hand for all work.

Quick Cobbler does use machines (per their own pictures they sent me). So hand work obviously costs more, but does usually mean a better result (not always).

For the price difference, it depends on what you're looking for. The pair sent to Laurent were still in pretty good shape.

The pair sent to Quick Cobbler were totally beaters.

clarkyin

Reaction score
Quote:
Right i read that. But what i am understanding here is that all my shoes are not Hand stitched besides Enzo Bonafe. Carmina, Alden are both using Goodyearwelt, is the Cobbler in Vancouver using goodyear welt machine and if so wouldn't it be enough/the right one and best value to go for? Thanks

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:
Right i read that. But what i am understanding here is that all my shoes are not Hand stitched besides Enzo Bonafe. Carmina, Alden are both using Goodyearwelt, is the Cobbler in Vancouver using goodyear welt machine and if so wouldn't it be enough/the right one and best value to go for? Thanks
Quick Cobbler in Vancouver uses machine to stitch the Goodyear welt. It is enough. Hand stitched Goodyear welt is not necessary. I guess I appreciate hand work. All that to say - Quick Cobbler is best value for Goodyear welt, especially since they use Joh Redenbach sole.

clarkyin

Reaction score
Quick Cobbler in Vancouver uses machine to stitch the Goodyear welt. It is enough.

Hand stitched Goodyear welt is not necessary. I guess I appreciate hand work.

All that to say - Quick Cobbler is best value for Goodyear welt, especially since they use Joh Redenbach sole.
Got it yeah, i agree. I will use montreal one for my enzo since it was hand welted from the get go

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Got it yeah, i agree. I will use montreal one for my enzo since it was hand welted from the get go

Put up before and after pics for everyone. Can never get enough shoe Appreciation!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Update: spent over 16 hours in these shoes. My feet aren't tired at all. The recraft is top notch.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sending 2 pairs to Ron and team at QC today.

1. Dacks Seneca - walnut colour - made in England by Cheaney - needs full recraft. Not bad condition as I always use shoe trees and leather conditioner. These are going on 10 years of service. First recraft.

2. Royal Tweed by Cheaney - dark brown brogues - made in England - needs full recraft. Bought these used for pennies. Definitely needs full recraft but still in great condition. I put a few rounds of Bick 4 on these beauties.

I will seek cat paw heels for both. The two pairs are still in excellent condition - no tears, rips, or damages to both or interiors.

Should have the results sometime in April/May.
IMG_20180321_120403.jpg
IMG_20180321_120416.jpg
IMG_20180321_120423.jpg
IMG_20180321_120429.jpg
IMG_20180321_120448.jpg
IMG_20180321_120512.jpg
IMG_20180321_120517.jpg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them