• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

coat size in relation to jacket

JeffB

Reaction score
Since winter is wrapping up here in the Midwest I want to get a nice wool coat while they are still on sale. I want to make sure the coat will fit over my suit jacket without wrinkling it. I've found a few coats on the internet that I like but I'm not sure what size I should be looking for. What is the general rule of thumb for the size of a coat to get compared to the size of the suit jacket? I wear a 39R jacket. What size coat should I be looking for? I'm assuming it should be at least slightly larger than the jacket (so it won't wrinkle it). Would a size 40 work? Any advice is much appreciated.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the extra room is supposed to be already built in to the outer coat.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
the extra room is supposed to be already built in to the outer coat.

I believe you are right. However, when trying more contemporary overcoats on recently they didn't seem to allow room for a jacket in my regular size. I think if you are going with a more traditional coat you are OK, but if it is a "fashion" coat check the measurements carefully. It may be cut to fit very trim, and that may not be what you are looking for.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not all size 40 jackets are the same size. You can't buy without trying on and have consistent success if you go only by the tagged size. Some size 38 coats are bigger than some size 40 coat, depending on the maker, the model, the vintage, etc.

Cordovan

Reaction score
Generally, you buy your size, period, if buying RTW.

Cordovan

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy your size.

I'd even say. buy a size smaller. If you are a 39R I'd buy a 38R.

Most overcoats are cut too large for my linking. I like the fit snug and not like a tent.

That said, there are some long coats that are cut to be worn instead of a jacket.

I have seen some corneliani models and another italian brands like this. They are cut like a suit jacket, only longer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads