• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic "high-rise" pants

mediocrecomposer

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have decided that the current fashion of low-cut, tight trousers is unbecoming and informal. I very much appreciate the old style of loose, high-rise trousers as seen in several attached photos. Not only do I think this is much more elegant and classy, but for those of us whose waists have expanded over the years, it is much more comfortable. I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on this subject.

Where could I get such pants? What should I look for? How can I tell through the measurements given in the classifieds here if the trousers in a given listing are this style?

Sincerely,
Matt

firefit

Reaction score
Although I don't necessarily prefer a loose fit, I do enjoy a fitted high-waisted trouser. You can usually tell if it's high-waisted by taking a look at the length of the "front rise" as well as the "back rise." A higher "front rise" is usually the key component to making the trousers high-waisted.
ex.
9.5 in. front rise - Most likely low-waisted pants.
11.5 in. front rise - Most likely high-waisted pants.
I accidentally made the mistake of purchasing levi's that were high-rise and it didn't look the BEST on me, but I had also purchased a pair of pre-owned Incotex trousers. I put them on and it seemed to fit high-waisted on me (atleast), I was wearing a pair of linen trousers. They fit well.
http://www.primermagazine.com/2013/...and-why-low-rise-isnt-always-your-best-choice

I think this explains it a bit more thoroughly, as for brands... I'm quite curious as well. I'm not sure what decent brands have high-waisted pants, but judging by the vast amount on individuals on StyleForum, I'm sure someone can help you out with brand names.

Last edited:

MonVert

Reaction score

Although I don't necessarily prefer a loose fit, I do enjoy a fitted high-waisted trouser. You can usually tell if it's high-waisted by taking a look at the length of the "front rise" as well as the "back rise." A higher "front rise" is usually the key component to making the trousers high-waisted.
ex.
9.5 in. front rise - Most likely low-waisted pants.
11.5 in. front rise - Most likely high-waisted pants.
I accidentally made the mistake of purchasing levi's that were high-rise and it didn't look the BEST on me, but I had also purchased a pair of pre-owned Incotex trousers. I put them on and it seemed to fit high-waisted on me (atleast), I was wearing a pair of linen trousers. They fit well.
http://www.primermagazine.com/2013/...and-why-low-rise-isnt-always-your-best-choice

11.5" Front rise is hardly "High Waisted". Actual waist pants would need at least a 14" front rise. Remember that your waist is around your navel.

P.S. I see plenty of 12" rise pants meant to sit on your hip, and I can guarantee you if I tried to pull up such pants to my natural waist line it would turn me in to a castrato.

Last edited:

firefit

Reaction score
11.5" Front rise is hardly "High Waisted"... Unless you want to crush your family jewels with every abnormal movement, and sitting session..Actual waist pants would need at least a 14" front rise.

I see plenty of 12" rise pants meant to sit on your hip, and I can guarantee you if I tried to pull up such pants to my natural waist line it would turn me in to a castrato.
Well dang! I didn't know I had the same torso length as you. Remember, we all have different heights and proportions. So, basically, when it comes down to high-rise, just make it doesn't hug up the jewels tight.

firefit

Reaction score
11.5" Front rise is hardly "High Waisted". Actual waist pants would need at least a 14" front rise. Remember that your waist is around your navel.

P.S. I see plenty of 12" rise pants meant to sit on your hip, and I can guarantee you if I tried to pull up such pants to my natural waist line it would turn me in to a castrato.
Also, http://epauletnewyork.com/collectio...lor-single-pleat-trouser-khaki-military-twill

Check measurements. 12.5" is definitely closer to 11.5" than 14". That sounds like a bit too much, but then again, we're all different.

Last edited:

MonVert

Reaction score

firefit

Reaction score
If all I was trying to do was stand at a dress party, and look snazzy, sure. But for sitting, and dance parties, I would prefer something with extra space.
plain.gif
That's the key difference, it's you. I'd be completely fine with 12.5", I'm pretty sure sitting wouldn't be an issue. All trousers are constructed with different fits, so if you can't dance or sit in it, it's probably not a good fit, because trousers are suppose to give you some motion, haha, but if the dance you're talking about involves a split, then I'd have to recommend you a pair of full-on MC Hammer's. Hahaha

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads