• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Church's Appreciation Thread

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@gr789 Yes, I specifically wanted this type of style on a practical Dainite sole. I have less and less nerves lately for a leather sole on a casual daily beaters. Also, these were on a 30% discount as they appear to be from the Autumn collection.

@Zapasman Thanks! These really are built like a tank! They felt awfully heavy too when I first took them out of the box. But I like heavy. Heavy means reliable.

mco543

Reaction score
Can anyone speak to the quality of made in Italy models? I purchased a pair of Lemar loafers today at a thrift shop for $8 and I can't find anything on them other than they appear to be from 2008.

Pierson v Post

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can just barely make out "Church's", but the writing on the side doesn't look right. Anyone know if these in fact are Church's?

Not Church's, never mind.

Last edited:

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone speak to the quality of made in Italy models? I purchased a pair of Lemar loafers today at a thrift shop for $8 and I can't find anything on them other than they appear to be from 2008.
I have a pair of Church's Glen ankle boots made in Italy. I recall mine also date from around that time. I have worn them every winter since then and this is a recent picture - still almost like new. The styling divides opinion, but so comfortable...

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are slippers allowed? Very wintery here still so these will still get some wear:

The rare Sovereign in wine with stag's head:

New Ajax 03 for Christmas 2015:

The advantage for me with Church's slippers is the toe shape. There always seems a little more room around the toes given the slightly squared-off style. Contrast this with a pair of Tricker's, for example:

gr789

Reaction score

These shoes have been previously posted, but Nikola's new suede "tanks" reminded me of my go to Church's for bad weather. All several years old and holding up very well. On the left are the Gorsley and Elmsley on rubber soles and on the right are the Tasmania and Grafton on leather soles. (Forgive the generic and Alden shoe trees, these shoes are currently in rotation with all sorts of other brands!)

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello

My new pair of Church's Consul in black calf in 173 last had arrived, again from Herring Shoes. I currently own a pair in the 103 last, both medium width. I bought the new pair of Consul because I felt the 103 is too rounded and I needed a formal oxford. I was thinking on the AS Armfield, but the last is not the best for the shape of my feet.

Comparing both lasts :

173 : Slimmer last, 2 or 3 mm longer, higher walls
103 : Rounded toe, 2 or 3 mm shorter

Both shoes feel rock solid, look great and have the presence that I spect from Church's. I like the 173 more and will be my shoes for special ocations and the 103 last will be used for work.

Last edited:

gr789

Reaction score
Fantastic Consuls Juan Manuel! Personally, I really appreciate the shape of the toe of the 173 last. Subjectively more elegant to me.

Reactionnaire

Reaction score
Anyone know if the Fanny (yes, I bought women's jodhpur boots, they fit me better) can be resoled? It's probably blake stitched, I honestly can't tell (I am bad at this). It's a discontinued model so hard to find any info on the net.

rallyx

Reaction score

Anyone know if the Fanny (yes, I bought women's jodhpur boots, they fit me better) can be resoled? It's probably blake stitched, I honestly can't tell (I am bad at this). It's a discontinued model so hard to find any info on the net.

Check w Church's directly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads