• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Church's Appreciation Thread

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chowkin, you are right, the Balmorals (old ones) do not show the Custom Grade insignia and also don't have written Milan like the Consuls (brand new).

Maybe the Balmorals are pre-Prada?

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is a very interesting point Juan Manuel about the 100 last not being quite so suitable for formal wear, and one that I hadn’t really considered before. Here are my Diplomats which are also on the 100 last.

If I may, I should like to tell a short story about them.

Back in 2000 I bought my first pair of Church’s shoes (I had been wearing their slippers for many years). They were a pair of black Diplomats on the elegant 73 last. Because they were oldish stock and, as the retailer was ceasing selling Church’s shoes, I got them for a very reasonable £150. The price new then was about £225.

After three years they went back to Church’s for a refurb at a cost of about £60. Three years later I sent them off again via a different local shop. I waited a long time – probably over two months before the much-anticipated call came ‘your Church’s are ready sir’. I rushed round to the shop and when I arrived the red-faced shop assistant said they are not actually your Diplomats. Church’s had ‘damaged’ them during the repair and offered a new pair for the price of the refurbishment – about £80 by then. I gather there was some negotiation by the shop before Church’s eventually made this offer.

By now we are into the Prada era and the emergence of the 100 last as the go-to option. So that’s how I ended up with these particular shoes, which have had very little wear and have not been back for a repair in the 10 years since I got them.

I suppose to end on a positive note, I do have a pair of high quality semi-brogues that have effectively lasted 16 years at a total cost of £290 and are still a couple of years at least away from their next visit to the factory…

Last edited:

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, those Chesea´s above are Plain Cap Toe Oxfords, Then you have the Balmoral style for boots and the Galosh style for Shoes. That is my understanding.

Your semibrogues oxfords look really nice Mr.Knightly, even if the last is not as sleek as the 73 last.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Moving on to another pair of Church's Oxfords - the Lingfield on the elegant 108 last - and another refurbishment.

Mrs K bought these lovely Nevada calf Lingfields for my birthday in 2006. I have worn them relatively rarely because of the very formal look they project and they went nearly 10 years before needing a refurb. They were sent back to Church's around this time last year and, for a still modest £100, came back almost like new. But the replacement sole looks very slightly chunkier than before. Here are some before and after pics, which I hope demonstrate my point:

Before the refurb:

After:

Not necessarily a bad thing and arguably it makes them a little more versatile. I was surprised though. I was also surprised to see this stamp on the new sole:

Any comments, gentlemen?

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulation Mr. Knightley

I like the refurbished ones more, I have a thing with chuncky shoes, I am thinking on a pair of Lancaster in brown, Herrings told me that I can request MTO.

An additional question : You like more 5 o 6 eyelets?

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can not see any difference, but when a shoe is refurbished (rather than resoled), they should change insole, gemming welt, heel stackand outsole. If the execution is not done very carefully,
the fit could be loose or too tight. That stamp its quite weird. Great price though.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can not see any difference, but when a shoe is refurbished (rather than resoled), they should change insole, gemming welt, heel stackand outsole. If the execution is not done very carefully,
the fit could be loose or too tight. That stamp its quite weird. Great price though.
I guess the change is more apparent in the flesh. Yes, a good price and a good job done
smile.gif

Chowkin

Reaction score

I guess the change is more apparent in the flesh.  Yes, a good price and a good job done:)

Mr. K, I agree with you that the welt looks wider in the refurbished shoes and thus not as slim looking as the originals. Could be because the leather stretched width wise in the originals and thus hid a part of the welt and on refurbishment the shoes were relasted bringing them to their original widths and thus made the welt more apparent.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mr. K, I agree with you that the welt looks wider in the refurbished shoes and thus not as slim looking as the originals. Could be because the leather stretched width wise in the originals and thus hid a part of the welt and on refurbishment the shoes were relasted bringing them to their original widths and thus made the welt more apparent.
I guess there could be an element of that and, of course, I can't compare them side by side. I have a couple of pics from when the shoes were newer and they do seem to confirm that the original sole and welt were of a slimmer, smoother design. The bottom pic is not a very good one but I have included it to show that I considered them sleek enough for evening wear back then but do not feel they would work as well in a formal setting post-refurb. But all that said, I still like them very much and wore them yesterday with a stroller.

Pierson v Post

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I thrifted these crocodile loafers. Who made them for Church's?
It says: "Handmade - Created exclusively for Church's. Prima Classe."

Last edited:

Lollie

Reaction score
Hello, Church's appreciators. I was wondering how true to size Church's shoes were. I am looking at the Leyton's. Many thanks!

maczh

Reaction score
Hi all
I bought a pair of Church's in a Prada Outlet. Can somebody tell me which model this is? I searched the internet but dit not find anything about the "chapel" model?
thanks

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello

For your reference I wear :

- Loake Capital last / 026 / 024 : 10.5 UK
- Churchs 65 last 100 / 73 / 173 : 10.5 UK
- Allen Edmonds 65 last : 11 US

All in medium fit. Good luck.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got these pretty cheap, and needed some sneakers anyway .. So I thought why not have a pair from Church's as well. It was really hard to find the sneakers with a sole other than white which gets dirty quickly and after some time goes ugly yellowish .. So I was happy with these sole that could be worn year around ..

Wish I took some photos from different angle, but you can see the point ..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads