• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chukkas Paired With Shorts?¿

Muotimies

Reaction score
I'm sure a ton of traditionalists will hate me for even proposing the option of shorts but I spend a lot of time in Texas and Madrid where I'm sure you already know, temperatures easily can be +40º if not hotter in the summer (plus I'm younger so perhaps I am entitled to a bit of slack). Nonetheless though, if I could wear chukkas with shorts it'd be fantastic because with mild winters an occasion could be found to wear them almost year-round. I have a pair of dress boots for colder times but I quite enjoy the styling of chukkas. They are pretty low cut which is the only reason I would ever consider wearing this "boot" with shorts.

I can't seem to make the call myself nor can I seem to find a lot of supporting evidence for my case via Google. Most pictures are some awful compilation of some awkward chukkas paired with those plagued cargo shorts. So, what would your opinions be on this subject? Is it acceptable or are chukkas more suited to be paired with the cuff of pants?¿ Inseam seems to always be an issue when pairing shoes with shorts so if anyone cares to know, most shorts I own have an 18cm inseam.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Muotimies

Reaction score
Also, I have never worn or tried on Chukka boots. How do they fit? Are they meant to be worn with a boot sock? I know at least with all of the dress boots I have tried on or own, I have had to by a whole US size smaller. I don't like the concept of shoes being purposely size larger to accommodate a thicker sock nor do I like think socks.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would stick to unlined suede chukkas for shorts to go with the casual vibe of shorts.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Muotimies

Reaction score

d4g6k11

Reaction score
It's an old thread but I thought I'd dig it up. I'm a teacher and work in a room sans air-conditioning. With 30 bodies in a confined space temperatures in summer get pretty high very quickly. But, if I wear shorts I need a more formal look than sneakers can provide. Are chukkas the only option if I wear shorts but don't want sneakers (or loafers or boat shoes)?

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't want to wear loafers, tennis shoes, or boat shoes, you might look at some white or dirty bucks.

d4g6k11

Reaction score
Last edited:

Astaroth

Reaction score
As an Englishman "bucks" wtould be an abbreviation of nubuck, a type of leather that's similar in appearance to suede but made in a different way. Americans on the other hand call a blucher made from suede a buck. As usual it's two nations divided by a common language.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads