• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chocolate brown suit matching

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somebody told me that blue doesn't go with brown and a lot of these pics show me how wrong he was.

TheAdMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unrefinery
That's fine, actually. Matching your pocket square to your shirt is way overrated. But you can always go to TheTieBar.com and get some more interesting squares for $8.

Nobody answered your question about shoes. Generally, a brown shoe that is darker than the suit will be fine. Black shoes can work too. Lighter brown shoes are trickier.

My rage when TheTieBar has some awesome looking PS's but the shipping to Sweden is $25.. I guess I'll buy in bulk with some friends. (As if I have friends wearing pocket squares...damn)
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

TheAdMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
ahem... use your imagination here... picture the Sportscoats at suits, or reverse the items (brown tie becomes a brown suit) for color combos... personally I love orange, maroon, and green for tie/sweater/shirt colors but that's just me.
Excellent post, thank you!

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheAdMan
Hey, I need some inspirational pictures for tie/shirt and perhaps even shoe matchings for a chocolate brown suit.
I've been running some experiments in that area myself:

Closeup-61.jpg

Closeup-38.jpg

Closeup-20.jpg

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^ very nice! I really like that last one.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent pics...I have a couple brown jackets that I need to wear before spring get here.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
Somebody told me that blue doesn't go with brown and a lot of these pics show me how wrong he was.

Blue and brown is great.

CaymanS

Reaction score
purpleandred.jpg

Brown in town with the purpy stripe...thumbs-up. #swag

urfloormatt

Reaction score
I have a brown flannel suit and a tan tic summer-weight suit that I picked up last year from BB (excellent for wedding season, and strangely enough, full canvas).

As for shoes, I can't imagine anyone here in the US batting an eye at brown shoes with a navy suit. While lighter/brighter brown shoes are "louder" and draw attention to your feet, I've never thought anything wrong with them. To my eye brown is much more complimentary to a navy suit than black shoes, but my view is that dress shoes universally look better in a brown shade--cordovan, dark brown, or walnut. Seems to me like the brown contrasts highlights the fact that the suit is, in fact, navy, whereas black shoes tend to wash out the contrast and make the whole suit appear black in poor lighting.

I do adhere to the rule that you shouldn't wear brown shoes with black pants, however (I don't own a black suit).

Last edited:

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore a chocolate brown flannel suit last night with a light blue spread collar shirt and brown tie (which has blue dots).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads